Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-15-2023, 07:21 PM   #1
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
Typing Surface for Tablet + Keyboard

I'd like a lightweight but sturdy board to hold a keyboard and tablet.

I've made a flimsy one from a canvas board and twine, but I wonder if anyone knows where to find a sturdier one, or has instructions to make a sturdier one.

Otherwise, I need a desk or lap desk to type, and reaching for touch functions has been giving me a lot of arm, shoulder, and neck pain. It looks like most tablet keyboard cases have a flimsy hinge, so they still require a desk or lap desk too.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Board_k2opt_dx.pdf (93.2 KB, 118 views)
File Type: pdf Desk_k2opt_dx.pdf (77.8 KB, 110 views)
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 02:46 AM   #2
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarjaE View Post
I'd like a lightweight but sturdy board to hold a keyboard and tablet.

I've made a flimsy one from a canvas board and twine, but I wonder if anyone knows where to find a sturdier one, or has instructions to make a sturdier one.

Otherwise, I need a desk or lap desk to type, and reaching for touch functions has been giving me a lot of arm, shoulder, and neck pain. It looks like most tablet keyboard cases have a flimsy hinge, so they still require a desk or lap desk too.
Boox Tab Ultra
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2023, 01:48 PM   #3
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'd still need to attach a keyboard.
Old 02-17-2023, 10:43 PM   #4
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
To clarify, are you looking for a lap desk with inbuilt table holder, or a tablet holder to use on a tabletop? Or a tablet case with inbuilt stand that will hold the tablet up? Or do you need to have the keyboard physically attached to the tablet for some reason? I'm having a little trouble picturing what you're looking for.

The reaching issue might be improved by using a stylus, and learning as many keyboard shortcuts as you can for your OS.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 12:22 AM   #5
MarjaE
Guru

I want something to hold the keyboard and tablet together, so

1. If I'm typing, I can see what I'm typing without having to go back and forth between the keyboard in one place and the screen in another,

2. I can carry them more easily,

3. I can sit down anywhere and start typing without carrying that massive lap desk, and/or stopping to set everything up,

4. I can pick everything up if I have to get away from approaching dogs, etc.

I also want:

5. something bigger than the canvas boards, so it can handle a 13" keyboard instead of 8", and

6. something sturdier than the canvas boards.

I went by a local craft store; nothing caught my eye. I also looked into pegboards, but can't find the right sizes.

P.S. I also have coordination issues, and can only use lateral and power grips, so I have less reach with a stylus than without it.

Last edited by MarjaE; 02-18-2023 at 12:25 AM.
Advert
Old 02-18-2023, 03:41 AM   #6
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarjaE View Post
I want something to hold the keyboard and tablet together,
There are adhesive covers with a crease - this is from the Likebook P10.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cover.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	199792  
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 03:07 PM   #7
MarjaE
Guru

I bought a cafeteria-type tray, to hold a bigger keyboard, and a pack of velcro strips. I will get back with a review soon.
Old 03-02-2023, 07:05 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
This is an excellent laptop tray. I have one.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FW2KT8F

Click image for larger version

Name:	71wQxJOaBSL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	219.3 KB
ID:	200068

Last edited by JSWolf; 03-02-2023 at 07:09 PM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 01:34 PM   #9
MarjaE
Guru

With the tray, I still had to do way too much reaching.

I tried using Ease Joypad, but if I used my keyboard to open apps and files, then I couldn't use it to type, and vice-versa. Android has an option to use volume keys to turn accessibility tools on and off as needed, but it doesn't work with that keyboard's volume keys.

I got a more expensive Lenovo keyboard with a red nub. It works well with usb-c devices. I haven't found a working adapter for micro-usb.

In the meantime, despite almost no writing in the past few weeks, my rsi just gets more and more painful.