Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-16-2014, 01:09 PM   #106
felipe_a
felipe_a began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Kindle app on M96?

If M96 features Android then one will be able to use the Kindle app for Android? Not only Kindle's app, but Kobo, Nook and so on?
felipe_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:54 AM   #107
iampiti
Connoisseur
iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!

Device: Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by felipe_a View Post
If M96 features Android then one will be able to use the Kindle app for Android? Not only Kindle's app, but Kobo, Nook and so on?
I believe it depends on which APIs these apps use. The Android on the Onyx readers is not, AFAIK, licensed by Google and that means no Google Play store and none of the Google apps. I believe it also affects Google Play Services and by extension all of the apps which use them.

It would be great to have licensed Android on the readers but I'm not sure that Google would approve devices which e-ink screens which have a very different usability compared to LCD screens
iampiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2014, 01:51 AM   #108
SevaSerg
SevaSerg has learned how to read e-booksSevaSerg has learned how to read e-booksSevaSerg has learned how to read e-booksSevaSerg has learned how to read e-booksSevaSerg has learned how to read e-booksSevaSerg has learned how to read e-booksSevaSerg has learned how to read e-books

Device: Onyx M92
interestingly, onyx russia has already started selling M96.
http://onyxboox.ru/e-books/onyx-boox-m96m-zeus-black
I wonder how long does it take for them to expose android firmware to M92 users? From business perspective it might be very long time
SevaSerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 04:18 AM   #109
Feher
Addict
Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92; Onyx Boox i86ML; Kobo Aura H2O; Dasung Paperlike
Thanks for the news!
So M96 is finally here
Feher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:08 AM   #110
tsmithe
tsmithe has learned how to read e-bookstsmithe has learned how to read e-bookstsmithe has learned how to read e-bookstsmithe has learned how to read e-bookstsmithe has learned how to read e-bookstsmithe has learned how to read e-bookstsmithe has learned how to read e-books

Device: None yet
Looking forward to this being available in the EU. I guess it's a matter of weeks now? Still interested to hear any more about the 13" model!
tsmithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2014, 03:02 AM   #111
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by SevaSerg View Post
interestingly, onyx russia has already started selling M96.
http://onyxboox.ru/e-books/onyx-boox-m96m-zeus-black
I wonder how long does it take for them to expose android firmware to M92 users? From business perspective it might be very long time
I don't mean to be negative, but don't count on it. They would rather sell us M96s than give us Android on our M92s ...
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:56 AM   #112
ManDay
E-Reader
ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DPT-S1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmithe View Post
Looking forward to this being available in the EU. I guess it's a matter of weeks now? Still interested to hear any more about the 13" model!
Ditto. I don't care much about the M96. The differences to the M92 are too small for me to pay another frew hundred EUR for it.
ManDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:18 AM   #113
tsmithe
tsmithe has learned how to read e-bookstsmithe has learned how to read e-bookstsmithe has learned how to read e-bookstsmithe has learned how to read e-bookstsmithe has learned how to read e-bookstsmithe has learned how to read e-bookstsmithe has learned how to read e-books

OK, so I have spoken to ereader-store.eu, and it seems that the M96 should be available to buy from that site in the next two-three weeks.

I have also spoken to Onyx, and they say that they are not currently working on a 13.3" model, and the M96 model won't have an HD edition, since 'PVI (Prime View International) does not produce the HD screen in 9.7"'. But the M96 will have the A2 screen refresh mode, whatever that means technically.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:39 AM   #114
Feher
Addict
Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmithe View Post
OK, so I have spoken to ereader-store.eu, and it seems that the M96 should be available to buy from that site in the next two-three weeks.

I have also spoken to Onyx, and they say that they are not currently working on a 13.3" model, and the M96 model won't have an HD edition, since 'PVI (Prime View International) does not produce the HD screen in 9.7"'. But the M96 will have the A2 screen refresh mode, whatever that means technically.
Thanks for the information.

I am analyzing if it is worth upgrading for us existing M92 owners. This device like other new models has bluetooth capability - does that mean we will be able to connect external keyboard?

And A2 refresh mode is the fast refresh mode. We have discussed it earlier and you can see it in action in Onyx videos. Basically each pixel in eink screen is 16 bit pixel; In A2 refresh mode each pixel will be restricted to 2 bit/values only thus allowing for faster screen refresh.

I am not following the progress of other brands. Is there any other competing model coming from pocketbook etc in near future?

Last edited by Feher; 04-22-2014 at 11:53 AM.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:37 PM   #115
tsmithe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feher View Post
I am analyzing if it is worth upgrading for us existing M92 owners. This device like other new models has bluetooth capability - does that mean we will be able to connect external keyboard?
Interesting question. I would hazard the guess that, since the M96 runs Android, and Android supports external keyboards, that the M96 would indeed support external keyboards.

Quote:
And A2 refresh mode is the fast refresh mode. We have discussed it earlier and you can see it in action in Onyx videos. Basically each pixel in eink screen is 16 bit pixel; In A2 refresh mode each pixel will be restricted to 2 bit/values only thus allowing for faster screen refresh.
Thanks for this. I suspect I would be happy to trade detail for quick refresh speed in most cases.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:08 PM   #116
seaniko7
wannabe developer
seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle: 2xKeyboard, Classic, 2xTouch, 2xPW, PW2; Onyx: Boox M92
A2 refresh mode is just sales pitch. I mean, it was/is available in "previous" gen Onyx models...
seaniko7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 04:36 AM   #117
specialp
specialp began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox m92
I think tha M96 Zeus is worth consideration even if you have M92.

The biggest advantage over M92 is of course Android that let's you install e.g. Kindle software. I always was a big fan of Kindle's "Smart look-up" functionality where you tap a word and you are automatically redirected to Wikipedia e.g. . I read that Zeus will use google play store so Kindle and other apps will be available.

I never used much note taking functionality and (correct me if I am wrong) Zeus has no stylus but has touchscreen - for me this is a HUGE advantage over M92. I have M92 and KPW2 and I must say that interacting with touchscreen in KPW2 instead of using stylus with M92 is much faster and more natural. Especially highlighting, zooming and looking up words and phrases in dictionary. For me the only advantage of stylus is being able to write and I don't write almost at all.

Last but not least better processor, more ram, M96 is bound to be faster than M92. And in my opinion more than 2 years old M92 feels a little slow, especially compared with KPW2.

Not big fan of built in lighting, I can live without it and I would rather avoid paying extra for it.

I think that M96 offers a lot and is a worthy replacement of M92. For more than a year I was looking forward to device that would offer both best of M92 and KPW features: touchscreen, smart lookup (invaluable for students!), at least 9'' inches screen, relatively fast, handles many formats,handles pdfs well, open architecture. M96 seems to tick of all of these features.

I am awaiting first videos showing M96 in action, to see how it works in reality.

Normally I would not hesitate to buy it, but forthcoming 13.3'' makes me wait a little bit longer. If it would be M96 with bigger screen and acceptable price tag (not like Sony $1100 13.3 '' device which handles only pdfs...)I would happily buy it on spot.

And I like where the Onyx Boox company is going with the use of Android: concentrate more on hardware development and innovation with affordable price and use already available software for reading from third-parties.

Just my thoughts

Last edited by specialp; 04-27-2014 at 04:41 AM.
specialp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:50 AM   #118
smihaila
smihaila began at the beginning.

Device: none
Faster CPU and more RAM? Are you kidding me? That additional horsepower will be absorbed by the Android bloated OS and java crap.
No thank you, I stick to my M92.
smihaila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:35 AM   #119
seaniko7
wannabe developer
seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle: 2xKeyboard, Classic, 2xTouch, 2xPW, PW2; Onyx: Boox M92
Same here. Android is such a resource hog and is nowhere as light as C based framework even with QT overhead (M92).

I'll consider buying M96 only if Onyx is willing to release source code for bootloader & kernel... so that customization would be possible to some degree, not to mention development of linux.
seaniko7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 02:39 PM   #120
Feher
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialp View Post
Zeus has no stylus but has touchscreen
You maybe thinking about i86. Zeus doesn't have touchscreen, but stylus only. I was hoping earlier that M96 will have both touchscreen and stylus compatibility as seen in Hanvon e920 ereader and Sony Digital Paper.