Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-07-2024, 03:05 PM   #16
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by beedaddy View Post
Thanks, Peter. So what are the options, if any, to enable telnet/ssh?
Possibly via NickelMenu; but I've yet to try.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 05:55 PM   #17
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
Plot twist:
I've put the KoboRoot.tgz in .kobo but the device does not install the patch / nickelmenu.
Can you give more details about what you tried? Not that I don't trust you, but we've already had false alarms about new firmware due to user error.

Also, if you don't mind possible resetting your device (though I'd probably try a hard reset not through settings first just to make sure you can do it if this option breaks something), I wonder if switching brands in devmode makes a difference.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2024, 05:58 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Why not try the the option to switch to Kobo?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 06:46 PM   #19
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
You can enable telnet using NickelMenu. Note that the user/password is admin/admin since root now has a password.

Spoiler:
Code:
kobo login: admin
Password:
login: can't change directory to '/home/admin'
[root@kobo ~]# cd /home
-sh: cd: can't cd to /home: No such file or directory
[root@kobo ~]# ls
bin         drivers     lib         lost+found  root        tmp
data        etc         libexec     mnt         sbin        usr
dev         fs.md5sum   linuxrc     proc        sys         var
[root@kobo ~]# iwconfig
ifb0      no wireless extensions.

tunl0     no wireless extensions.

sit0      no wireless extensions.

ifb1      no wireless extensions.

wlan0     IEEE 802.11abgn  ESSID:"HeronBreath"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:5.22 GHz  Access Point: AC:DB:48:5B:62:4B
          Bit Rate:390 Mb/s   Tx-Power=off
          RTS thr=0 B   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:<too big>
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality=0/100  Signal level=-40 dBm  Noise level=0 dBm
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0

lo        no wireless extensions.

[root@kobo ~]#

The option in NickelMenu is:
Code:
menu_item : main    : Telnet             : cmd_spawn      : quiet: /bin/mount -t devpts | /bin/grep -q /dev/pts || { /bin/mkdir -p /dev/pts && /bin/mount -t devpts devpts /dev/pts; }
      chain_success  : cmd_spawn          : quiet: /usr/bin/pkill -f "^/usr/bin/tcpsvd -E 0.0.0.0 1023" || true && exec /usr/bin/tcpsvd -E 0.0.0.0 1023 /usr/sbin/telnetd -i -l /bin/login
      chain_success  : dbg_toast          : Started Telnet server on port 1023.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 07:18 PM   #20
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I just said that lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
You can enable telnet using NickelMenu. Note that the user/password is admin/admin since root now has a password.
They claim to have tried and failed to install NM.
Advert
Old 05-07-2024, 07:41 PM   #21
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I think the rest of us are playing using the Kobo f/w; ie the 4.39 release; not the 5.x
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 01:53 AM   #22
beedaddy
Groupie
beedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Tolino Shine 5th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
They claim to have tried and failed to install NM.
Yes, the KoboRoot.tgz, which I put into the .kobo folder, seems to have no effect. The file is still there, even after a (manual) reboot. No Safari browser involved (Linux here).
beedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 02:01 AM   #23
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Yes, the KoboRoot.tgz, which I put into the .kobo folder, seems to have no effect. The file is still there, even after a (manual) reboot. No Safari browser involved (Linux here).
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011
Also, if you don't mind possible resetting your device (though I'd probably try a hard reset not through settings first just to make sure you can do it if this option breaks something), I wonder if switching brands in devmode makes a difference.
Furthermore, if that doesn't change anything, could you PM me your `Kobo eReader.conf` file (feel free to redact stuff from there)? I'm curious as to how/if it differs.
Old 05-08-2024, 02:35 AM   #24
rantanplan
Weirdo
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tolino Shine Color, Tolino Vision 6, Kobo Clara 2E, Boox Note Air 2+
Quote:
Same for me, I used Firefox on Windows 11. Simply copying the file into the .kobo folder on my actual Kobo devices has always worked. But on the Tolino variant, the file is still unprocessed, even after several reboots, devmodeon or devmodeoff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Because all my books are in the Tolino cloud. We get 25 GB cloud space for sideloaded books on our devices. And yes, they do sync their progress.
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 02:39 AM   #25
beedaddy
Groupie
beedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoon

Quote:
Furthermore, if that doesn't change anything, could you PM me your `Kobo eReader.conf` file (feel free to redact stuff from there)? I'm curious as to how/if it differs.
Switching brands makes no difference, I'm afraid.

I will send you "Kobo eReader.conf" for both tolino and kobo brands. Also, the databases, if that is of interest. There are lots of new tolino tables… (I wonder what this means for the Calibre device driver, btw.)
Old 05-08-2024, 03:27 AM   #26
geek1011
Wizard

Okay, so I've managed to get ahold of the firmware files...

https://ereaderfiles.kobo.com/firmwa...5.0.175773.zip
Old 05-08-2024, 03:34 AM   #27
geek1011
Wizard

Oh, one warning, do not play with that update zip if you don't know what you're doing... it's not like the normal upgrades, and you do NOT want to mess up bl2 on mediatek devices, or you'll have a fun time recovering it.
Old 05-08-2024, 03:40 AM   #28
beedaddy
Groupie

I wonder … did/will Kobo switch to this very different update procedure? Because the KoboRoot.tgz hasn't been recognized on the koboified shine 5 either.
Old 05-08-2024, 04:33 AM   #29
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
I wonder … did/will Kobo switch to this very different update procedure? Because the KoboRoot.tgz hasn't been recognized on the koboified shine 5 either.
Yes, it appears that this will be the update procedure for all kobo/tolino devices running the v5 firmware branch.
Old 05-08-2024, 03:11 PM   #30
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Quote:
Yes, it appears that this will be the update procedure for all kobo/tolino devicesrunning the v5 firmware branch.
I tried to understand the this by reading the thread from start to finish, but I still don't get what "this" means.
I did some googling on the german tolino site (mytolino.de) and found the following description for updating Tolino's (the Shine excepted):
Quote:
  1. Klicken Sie auf den Download-Button und speichern Sie die Datei mit dem Namen update.zip auf Ihrem Desktop ab. Bitte beachten Sie, dass die Datei von Ihrem tolino eReader nur unter diesem Dateinamen als Update-Datei erkannt werden kann.
  2. Verbinden Sie ihren tolino eReader mithilfe des mitgelieferten USB-Kabels mit dem Computer und öffnen Sie im Datei-Explorer die Verzeichnisansicht TOLINO des eReaders.
  3. Kopieren Sie nun die Datei update.zip von Ihrem Desktop bzw. individuellen Speicherort direkt in das Hauptverzeichnis ihres tolino eReaders. Trennen Sie danach die USB-Verbindung, indem Sie den tolino eReader am PC auswerfen.
  4. Bitte warten Sie nun ca. 10 Sekunden, bis das Software-Update auf dem eReader verarbeitet wurde und starten Sie das Gerät nun neu, indem Sie den An-/Ausschalter für ca. 2 Sekunden drücken. Sobald das Kontext-Menü erscheint, bestätigen Sie hier bitte mit Neu starten. Das Software-Update wird nun automatisch installiert.
Translated:
Quote:
  1. Click on the download button and save the file named update.zip on your desktop. Please note that the file can only be recognized as an update file by your tolino eReader under this file name.
  2. Connect your tolino eReader to the computer using the USB cable provided and open the TOLINO directory view of the eReader in the file explorer.
  3. Now copy the update.zip file from your desktop or individual storage location directly to the main directory of your tolino eReader. Then disconnect the USB connection by ejecting the tolino eReader from the PC.
  4. Please wait about 10 seconds until the software update has been processed on the eReader and then restart the device by pressing the on/off switch for about 2 seconds. As soon as the context menu appears, please confirm here with Restart. The software update will now be installed automatically.
Is that what "this" is referring to in your posting?
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote