Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-21-2023, 07:32 AM   #1
eryMpexI
eryMpexI began at the beginning.

Device: PDF reader on Windows
How do I know which Metadata Source Plugin was called from fetch-ebook-metadata?

Hello everybody,
I'm running fetch-ebook-metadata from Shell:

Code:
fetch-ebook-metadata --isbn="${ISBN}" --opf 2>/dev/null
Occasionally, the script fails with this error:

Quote:
-:26.1: Extra content at the end of the document
Failed to get cached URL from google for URL: https://www.amazon.com/Norton-Read
I don't know which metadata plugin throws this error.

The forum says:

Quote:
You can obtain the plugin error details by starting Calibre in debug mode
But I'm not starting the whole Calibre app, just fetch-ebook-metadata.

What's the best approach to troubleshoot this?

Ideally, I would configure the Shell script to restrict the run to one plugin each time using --allowed-plugin, see what result I get, and only use a different source if the request fails, but it's not something I can code right now.
So, I wonder how to know this
eryMpexI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 08:01 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Use the --verbose option and examine the log
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2023, 06:24 AM   #3
eryMpexI

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Use the --verbose option and examine the log
Thanks.
Follow up question:

Is there a way to silence errors and get only the metadata?
The utility outputs failures like so, until it finds a valid source:

Quote:
Failed to get cached URL from google for URL: https://www.amazon.com/Peyote-Mescaline-Drugs-Straight-Facts/dp/0791085457 with error: HTTP Error 429: Too Many Requests
Failed to get cached URL from google for URL: https://www.amazon.com/Essential-Homer-Hackett-Classics/dp/0872205401 with error: HTTP Error 429: Too Many Requests
Failed to get cached URL from google for URL: https://www.amazon.com/Norton-Anthology-American-Literature-8th/dp/0393918858 with error: HTTP Error 429: Too Many Requests
Title : Peyote and Mescaline
Author(s) : M. Foster Olive
Is there a way to tell the utility to not print stderr?

Thank you
Old 04-22-2023, 08:52 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

redirect stderr to /dev/null
Old 04-22-2023, 08:55 AM   #5
eryMpexI

Quote:
redirect stderr to /dev/null
I have.
It doesn't work, you can see in my original message:

Code:
2>/dev/null
So, this stream is written to stdout, not sterr:

Quote:
Failed to get cached URL from google for URL:
That's why I asked
Advert
Old 04-22-2023, 08:56 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

| grep -v '^Failed'
Old 04-22-2023, 08:58 AM   #7
eryMpexI

Quote:
| grep -v '^Failed'
Thanks, I ended up doing something similar (in Shell), using awk to match only the XML:

Code:
fetch-ebook-metadata --isbn="${ISBN}" --opf | awk '/<?xml/,/package>/'