Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-03-2016, 03:17 PM   #1
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Insight into What Goes On Between Publishers and Amazon with Freebies.

I thought that the following was enlightening. I have often wondered what goes on between Amazon and publishers when there is a markdown, especially when there is a markdown to a price of zero, on an ebook.

This may all be common knowledge to everyone who follows this thread (I don't follow this thread, so I don't know), but see what you think. If it's a dud, feel free to say so, throw rotten tomatoes, or whatever. My self-esteem is healthy enough (I think. ha) to take it.

Here's the webpage with the piece to which I refer. It's from a blog by an "independent" publisher called Top Five Books. Start your reading at the thumbnail, on the righthand side, of the cover of the book After Friday Night Lights.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 03:26 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
I couldn't follow that blog.
Now what I can tell you that I know is a fact.
Books in Kindle Unlimited get a choice of countdown deals or 5 free days in a 90 day period.
If books are not in Kindle Unlimited, then authors do not have the option of free.
How they do this is they put the book at Kobo, B&N, Google or a combination of them for free and hope Amazon price matches.
Amazon can do one of three things. Price-match, not price-match or send a letter to the publisher that they are in violation of the TOS and their book can be pulled.

Yes, when you upload a book to Amazon, you agree not to price lower anywhere else.

Note: The authors/publishers in Kindle Unlimited actual check Select which means they cannot publish the book anywhere else as long as they are in Select.
Select is for 90 days, then the author can choose either Select again or uncheck it and can then publish elsewhere but they lose those free or countdown days.

Last edited by Cinisajoy; 08-03-2016 at 03:29 PM.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2016, 03:34 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Very hard to read through the blog post, but it looks like it boils down to the publisher not paying attention to their own agreement with Amazon, that if the book is priced lower elsewhere Amazon can match. This is pretty common knowledge for everyone from self-pubs to small presses to larger pubs.

EDIT: I just noticed that this is all pretty old news, the blog post was from 2012.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 08:17 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
What an ugly blog theme.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 08:06 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
...if the book is priced lower elsewhere Amazon can match. This is pretty common knowledge for everyone from self-pubs to small presses to larger pubs.
Yes, this is very common knowledge.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert