Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 01-25-2018, 05:36 PM   #1
deb2016
Enthusiast
deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Onyx Boox Max2 pro
Root onyx boox max2

Hello,

I tried many ways to root the onyx boox max2 : kingoroot (PC), dr. fone android root (PC), towelroot (apk), and some other (apk). All failed

There are other tools, but they usually require the bootloader to be unlocked and a replacement for the recovery (like twrp)

The other way round, I tried to open the update file, available at ereader.store/DATA/Max2/update.upx, with the upx linux tool, but this one failed claiming it was not packed with upx (!)

Do you know some other ways ?
deb2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 05:43 AM   #2
alcedo
Enthusiast
alcedo doesn't litteralcedo doesn't litter

Device: bug
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb2016 View Post
... require the bootloader to be unlocked ...
Do you know some other ways ?
That's what I read, for Android 6 you need an unlocked bootloader.
How to determine wether the bootloader is unlocked?

If it's not unlocked you need
a) some hacker to find and exploit a device specific vulnerability OR
b) the manufacturer to provide an unlock key or root access.

Last edited by alcedo; 01-26-2018 at 04:08 PM.
alcedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2018, 09:42 AM   #3
deb2016
Enthusiast
deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Onyx Boox Max2 pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcedo View Post
That's what I read, for Android 6 you need an unlocked bootloader.
How to determine wether the bootloader is unlocked?

If it's not unlocked you need
a) some hacker to find and exploit a device specific vulnerability
b) the manufacturer to provide an unlock key or root access.
Do you mean "a) and b)" ? or "a) or b)" ?

It is locked for sure, it was on the Max1 : the recovery did not let you install any custom zip, only those with a given signature.

A quick search shows that it is possible to unlock bootloaders using adb tools. However, if it is demonstrated for some smartphones, I do not know to what extent it applies to the ereader.

I just do not know if there is a fastboot mode on the ereader and I just do not want to manipulate this one without more insights, it could brick the device.

Booxtor told he would provide later a development (and so rooted) version of the system.
deb2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 04:18 PM   #4
alcedo
Enthusiast
alcedo doesn't litteralcedo doesn't litter

Device: bug
A rooted device would make it easier to mount remote filesystems via sshfs on the Max2.
So it would not be necessary to transfer these very big libraries onto the device.
Easysshfs app and others expect the device to be rooted.
Though I guess it could be possible to use sshfs as ordinary user, unfortunately
there is no termux package yet.

In fact the desire to use sshfs is atm the sole reason for me to wish for having the device unrooted.
Because of the lacking sdcard-slot it's very high priority.
alcedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 02:00 PM   #5
mmn
Disoriented newbie
mmn began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Anyone succeeded in unlocking the device / rooting it yet?
I am seriously thinking about buying Max 2 or Note, but they would be quite expensive for a device that cannot be rooted.
mmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2018, 11:10 AM   #6
zhaoging
zhaoging began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmn View Post
I am seriously thinking about buying Max 2 or Note, but they would be quite expensive for a device that cannot be rooted.
Thanks to Windsor1959 at XDA, I have rooted my Boox Max 2 using KingRoot (not Kingoroot). After rooted, I used SuperSU Me (app I bought from Play Store) to change the root access manager to SuperSU but you can just use the original KingRoot manager.

Original post in XDA: https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...-note-t3778552
zhaoging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:11 PM   #7
citytrader
Connoisseur
citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: BOOX Note
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhaoging View Post
Thanks to Windsor1959 at XDA, I have rooted my Boox Max 2 using KingRoot (not Kingoroot). After rooted, I used SuperSU Me (app I bought from Play Store) to change the root access manager to SuperSU but you can just use the original KingRoot manager.

Original post in XDA: https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...-note-t3778552
How did you root? Note is not posible to root with Kingroot
citytrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 04:26 PM   #8
whopper
Addict
whopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Boox max 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmn View Post
what can offer a device like this when rooted that can't do without root?
whopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 04:47 PM   #9
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by whopper View Post
what can offer a device like this when rooted that can't do without root?
For example, networking control.

I see people asking for "Note with HDMI": but to that effect, USB netwo^kimg is mostly enough.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:02 PM   #10
plusz
Addict
plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: 13.3" Boox Max2, 7" Kobo H2O
If I got it rooted I would check if I could do anything with the password issue. Thanks for posting the hint
plusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:52 PM   #11
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by citytrader View Post
How did you root? Note is not posible to root with Kingroot
I have a Note and rooted it with Kingroot. I first tried the Android apk and that was unsuccessful. Then I installed the Windows Kingroot app and tried with that. It was successful on the first try.

I then used the Super-Sume app to remove the Kingroot files and replace them with SuperSu.

After a firmware update, I was again able to root in the same way.

It can be done.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 03:18 PM   #12
whopper
Addict
whopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

I've been thinking on apps that would be useful to this device, from adaway on the system to be able to browse without adds, to gmd gesture control or dpi changer.

how do you plan to use root on this device? New ideas are always great
Old 06-30-2018, 02:35 PM   #13
bsnick
Zealot
bsnick began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx M96+, T68+, Max2, YP2, HiSense A2 Pro
Root should allow you to run apps on boot, something I've seen people say you can't do when non-rooted (on this device).
bsnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 05:38 PM   #14
whopper
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsnick View Post
Root should allow you to run apps on boot, something I've seen people say you can't do when non-rooted (on this device).
which ones do you find useful to launch at boot? I usually do the opposite on my phones, shut down everyone except the essentials
Old 06-30-2018, 11:33 PM   #15
bsnick
Zealot
bsnick began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx M96+, T68+, Max2, YP2, HiSense A2 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by whopper View Post
which ones do you find useful to launch at boot? I usually do the opposite on my phones, shut down everyone except the essentials
The one that comes to mind is EA, which is an app that has a bubble on the screen. Tap it and you switch immediately to the last-use-ed app, swipe on it and it either shows favorites or does some user-defined action.

I also would use root - through 3C Toolbox - to stop apps (system apps included) from starting in the first place, or forcing apps to be disabled/uninstalled even if conventional non-rooted methods don't give you that option. Whether this is really beneficial beyond scratching a personal itch is a matter of debate I suppose.
bsnick is offline   Reply With Quote