Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 10-29-2009, 02:31 PM   #1
ramona_gmr
ramona_gmr began at the beginning.

Device: none
Grandma who needs help

My name is Ramona. I have an eleven-year old grandson who has CP. I am trying to see if there is a reading device I could get for him that he would be able to use with his limited hand control. Thank you, Ramona
ramona_gmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:44 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramona_gmr View Post
My name is Ramona. I have an eleven-year old grandson who has CP. I am trying to see if there is a reading device I could get for him that he would be able to use with his limited hand control. Thank you, Ramona
Welcome to MobileRead, ramona.......this is a tough question, but if anyone can answer it, it will be someone on this board.

good luck with whatever you choose.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2009, 03:32 PM   #3
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Welcome to MR. I can't help you, I'm afraid, but good luck in your quest to find the right device for your grandson - if there is a device that's suitable, some-one here will know of it!
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:35 PM   #4
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Click image for larger version

Name:	blue roses.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	38282 Ramona, and welcome to Mobileread.

And yes, what they said. I'm sure someone here will be able to point you in the right direction for your specific needs. Good luck in your search.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:07 PM   #5
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I would think that the Sony 600, which is a touch screen, would be great for him. I'm not sure how severe his CV, but if it's really difficult for him to hold you could mount it somehow on one of those lap tables, so he could just lie down (or sit) and it can be angled easily so he doesn't have to hold it. Then, all he has to do is swipe a finger across the Reader to turn the page Hope this helps!
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2009, 04:04 AM   #6
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Hya Ramona. A touch screen might well be the answer, as Lilac suggests. But I've been toying with a simple idea for the PRS-505 I use. It's a beautiful piece of work, but the two options for page turning both use indented buttons. I guess the idea is to limit the possibility of accidentally turning a page whilst reading. I find them a little difficult and have thought of making the buttons convex rather than concave simply by glueing on tiny little studs. Wonder if that might help the wee feller.

Something else you might consider is the style of cover. I use a leather flip-top 'Easy i'. This really does make a difference because you can hold the machine securely and comfortably simply by slipping a couple of fingers under the loop on its back and using the thumb of the same hand or a finger of the other hand to turn pages. Also, the flip-top allows the ereader to be free standing if you like.

Good luck and please do let us know how you get along. Best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 04:20 AM   #7
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Hi and welcome. I'm not sure to the extent your grandson's CP is, but I would be inclined to look at the Amazon Kindle - based purely upon two major points. (1) the size of the page turn buttons, and (2) the ability for text-to-speech. I don't feel with limited hand/arm control a touch screen would be as effective or useful as a button driven e-reader.

Best of luck, let us know which one you go for and how he goes with it.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:15 PM   #8
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi ramona_gmr and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote