Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-11-2024, 11:18 AM   #1
couponprof
couponprof began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung tablet
Entire Database Has Disappeared

I do not know what to do. I opened Calibre the other day and EVERYTHING is gone. The only thing here is the Quick Start Guide - it looks like Calibre has been completely reset.

So I tried to restore the database. I chose my calibre library and hit OK.

It says "Restoring database from backups, do not interrupt, this will happen in multiple stages." So I just let it run.

It has been "restoring database" for TWO DAYS! I do not know if it is actually doing anything or if it is just stuck. Should I hit cancel? What should I do?

Help, please!
couponprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 05:44 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Which operating system and version?
Which version of calibre?
Location of your calibre library?
How many books did you have in your library (roughly)?

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2024, 10:23 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...libre-is-blank
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 10:14 AM   #4
couponprof

Hi. I'm on a Windows computer - Windows 11 I think.
Calibre is version 7.4.0
My library is on my hard drive (is that what you were asking?) - it's in a folder My Calibre Library
Not sure how many books I have but at least 5K I think.
Old 04-16-2024, 10:34 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by couponprof View Post
Hi. I'm on a Windows computer - Windows 11 I think.
Calibre is version 7.4.0
My library is on my hard drive (is that what you were asking?) - it's in a folder My Calibre Library
Not sure how many books I have but at least 5K I think.
Whom ar you replying to?
Did you follow the recovery instructions in the Link given by Kovid?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2024, 11:03 AM   #6
couponprof

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Whom ar you replying to?
Did you follow the recovery instructions in the Link given by Kovid?
Hi theducks! I was replying to BetterRed.

Yes, I did try the instructions in the link.

When I went to library maintenance and tried "Restore database", it went to the new database that has just the one item (the quick-start guide). So that's no help.

When I try to get it to go to the original library, it says the database appears to be corrupted and asks if I want calibre to try to automatically rebuild it. I said yes, and that's what got me "Restoring database from backups, do not interrupt, this will happen in multiple stages" on my screen. I stopped the restore after about 5 days of it just sitting there.

Not sure what to do now. I have literally THOUSANDS of e-books and importing them all back into Calibre one by one all over again is just an impossible task.
Old 04-16-2024, 11:13 AM   #7
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by couponprof View Post
Not sure what to do now. I have literally THOUSANDS of e-books and importing them all back into Calibre one by one all over again is just an impossible task.
One thing you can try is making a new database, to re-create any custom columns you had in the old one, then using Add > Add from Folders and Sub-Folders. "Assume all ebook files in a single folder are multiple formats..." set to yes.

It might be better to do this by each author folder in small batches.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 04-16-2024 at 11:25 AM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 11:19 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
5 days IIRC (I have used this 1 time in a decade) this normally does a couple of books per second

Restore starts with building a fresh metadata.db by using metadata_db_prefs_backup.json to recreate your customization/configuration.

Then it recursively reads metadata.opf from each author\book folder it finds. (that is what you see normally in the grid view)

I would start with a (windows) DISK CHECK and make sure the filesystem is intact. That is all I can think about it going off the deep end.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 11:49 AM   #9
couponprof

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
One thing you can try is making a new database, to re-create any custom columns you had in the old one, then using Add > Add from Folders and Sub-Folders. "Assume all ebook files in a single folder are multiple formats..." set to yes.

It might be better to do this by each author folder in small batches.
Thanks ownedbycats! I tried that with the first two authors and it seems to be working. Even put the series and numbering that I'd added in. Going to take a while to do this, but much better than having to manually import each book and add in all the metadata again!