Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-01-2024, 01:26 AM   #1
Mr Natural
Mr Natural began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Calibre does not sync library metadata changes to device

I've noticed that any metadata changes made to library files do not get updated on my kindle. I'm talking about even simple changes like the title. Even though in preferences it clearly states that with "Automatic management: calibre updates the metadata on the device in sync with the calibre library, on every connect". Well no it doesn't. Clicking on "update cached metadata on device" doesn't work either. And re-sendng the book doesn't overwrite as you would think, instead it sends a second copy which is absurd.
I initially thought this was a mobi problem but it doesn't update azw3 either.
Mr Natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 02:36 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
No, Calibre cannot update metadata on a Kindle. The only way to change metadata on a Kindle is to delete the book and send it again. That's because the database on Kindles is not accessible to third-party programs.

If having Calibre sync metadata changes to the device is important to you, a Kobo reader is the best option. It works perfectly with Kobos.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2024, 03:11 AM   #3
Mr Natural
Mr Natural began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thanks for that info, had never heard that before. Just another reason I will never ever buy another kindle. Unfortunatey need to use the one I have for awhile.
But if this is a known issue, why doesn't Calibre give you a message telling you it can't be done when you run the update metadata function? And if it requires deleting then re-sending to accomplish then why doesn't it just do that? Instead it does nothing and you are sitting there trying to figure out why.
Mr Natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 04:29 AM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Natural View Post
Thanks for that info, had never heard that before. Just another reason I will never ever buy another kindle. Unfortunatey need to use the one I have for awhile.
But if this is a known issue, why doesn't Calibre give you a message telling you it can't be done when you run the update metadata function? And if it requires deleting then re-sending to accomplish then why doesn't it just do that? Instead it does nothing and you are sitting there trying to figure out why.
Probably because Kindle is not the only brand with a closed database, and the developers can't keep track of all such devices. Mind, that's speculation on my part, I‘m not a developer.

This inability to interact with Calibre was one of the reasons I switched from Kindles to Kobos a few years ago.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote