Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-09-2024, 03:05 AM   #1
kobo_enthusiast
kobo_enthusiast began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Red face Confirmation message after clicking Embed Metadata?

When I add a new ePub to my library, I check that the metadata Calibre will use in its database is OK. I also like to embed the metadata in the ePub file so I use the Embed Metadata plug-in -- in other words, I click on that button in the toolbar. When I do that, there's no message confirming that the embedding was successful. Am I missing something? I've spot checked this a couple times by looking inside the ePub file at the metadata before and after clicking the button -- and sure enough it seems to work -- the metadata is indeed added to the file. However, I'd feel more comfortable if there was a confirmation message.

I also use the Embed Comic Metadata plug-in. It pops up a message telling me that the embedding was successful and that gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling. Like I say, maybe there's also an indicator in Embed Metadata, but I'm not spotting it.

BTW, I'm a huge Calibre fan. Love it and use it every day! Wish I would have started using it years ago.

Last edited by kobo_enthusiast; 04-09-2024 at 03:08 AM.
kobo_enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 03:43 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Well it will normally show you a progress dialog as it works, but if you are embedding only a single book it will be too fast and the dialog wont come up. But if embedding fails you will get an error popup. Maybe I'll have it flasha message in the status bar on success. Actually looking at the code it does flash a message in the status bar already.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 04-09-2024 at 03:48 AM.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 03:12 AM   #3
kobo_enthusiast
kobo_enthusiast began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Thank you! Perfect. That's just what I was looking for. I'm embarrassed because I should have been able to spot it -- it's right there in the lower left corner. As my grandmother used to say, "if it was a snake it would of bit ya."

It's helpful that it even indicates how many books the metadata was embedded in. I'll now pay more attention to that end of the status bar. I like how the right end shows the number of jobs that are in progress -- I use that indicator all the time. Now I'll also check the left end.

Calibre is so well designed. I've been using it about four months and I'm learning more every day. Each feature I find is very well integrated. I like the power of 3rd party plug-ins. They bring a lot to the platform. And thank you for the included plug ins (like Embed Metadata) that you have authored. Cheers and best of luck to you.
kobo_enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote