Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: For an E-Paper Tablet I could type on with an external keyboard, I would pay:
$500 2 4.26%
$300 12 25.53%
$200 13 27.66%
$150 20 42.55%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-06-2012, 11:11 PM   #46
andrewed
typist
andrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day now

Device: Kindle 3
@Ken Maltby:
I do not think you understand the project.
andrewed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:00 AM   #47
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewed View Post
@Ken Maltby:
I do not think you understand the project.
Sure I do, a fantasy design, ego stroking effort, very common in forums.
They even bring out some interesting and many amusing ideas. Don't let
my real world examples discourage you in any way.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2012, 09:25 AM   #48
andrewed
typist
andrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day now

@Ken Maltby
Whether this is a fantasy design is immaterial. It is a design for a tablet computer that can host a USB external keyboard. The entirely different class of device your examples represent--the dedicated ereader with no sign of a USB host--would thus offer no competition.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:44 PM   #49
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I would think that a "Fantasy" design would be, by definition, "immaterial".

You might note my listed devices.

The keyboard part of the "Transformer" connects to the tablet part via the same connection as the USB cable for the tablet part.

As others have pointed out there are a number of tablets that can connect to
keyboards, often via Bluetooth.

The competition I was referring to was as relates to the display technology.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:23 PM   #50
andrewed
typist

Nook breakthrough

[EDIT: Oh boy, I'm a trigger happy idiot sometimes. The hack below is for the Nook Color, not Simple Touch. Since the hardware is very similar, it may still work. We'll see.]

Given enough thrashing about (thanks everyone!), the right question emerges. And with it, the answer.

The problem began to be solved last June by Nook Simple Touch rockstar, verygreen:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1105497

Now it is just a matter of ironing out all wrinkles and packaging the solution so that non-programmers like me can use it, too. Maybe a microSD card with everything necessary loaded and a very short list of installation instructions? I don't know. Will inquire and get back to you ASAP.

Feeling very pleased at the moment. Again, to everyone who has read, posted, otherwise added attention to the issue:

Last edited by andrewed; 01-12-2012 at 09:17 PM.
Advert
Old 01-13-2012, 02:52 AM   #51
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Would it be possible to accomplish the same on a Kindle or Sony Reader?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:21 AM   #52
andrewed
typist

@Kumabjorn:
Welcome back, man.

This hack is for Android, and the new Sony uses Android, so maybe. I have only heard negative things about the Kindle in this regard (no USB host potential). But I do not really know.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:32 AM   #53
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the shout out.

I looked around in Japan for slightly larger e-ink devices but the market was surprisingly devoid. Andorid tablets is all the craze, not to mention a cornucopia of pink lady phones (I like yellow, none around though).
Old 01-13-2012, 10:31 AM   #54
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I looked around in Japan for slightly larger e-ink devices but the market was surprisingly devoid.
Not really a surprise; there's only one manufacturer of eInk screens (eInk themselves) and manufacturers can only use the screens that are available.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:14 PM   #55
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Not really a surprise; there's only one manufacturer of eInk screens (eInk themselves) and manufacturers can only use the screens that are available.
I see. My knowledge about that doesn't penetrate deeply enough. I thought productions was licensed to different manufacturers.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:19 PM   #56
andrewed
typist

Nook development

Good news.

I found two professional programmers (verygreen and ros87 at xda-developers.com) to work on the project using the Nook Simple Touch (NST). We have had several friendly exchanges over the past five days. These guys are simply awesome.

The idea is to activate the USB Host mode with a kernel patch and get the power to work somehow. One guy already did this with the Nook Color. The other guy has worked a lot on USB Host mode on the NST. I should have more news by the end of next week.

If we succeed, then I would design IKEA-style, ultra-clear instructions for the hack, which assume zero programming knowledge, so even non-hackers (like me) can do it. Further, to provide a simple service whereby you could ship a NST to a friendly technician to have the hack installed for you at a reasonable cost. Presumably, all this would lead to badder, slicker e-paper tablets in the future. One step at a time, starting with the cheap, quick, and dirty.

This week, I am buying a NST for the Nook Color guy to work with, cost $100. I already donated $20 total to them and would like to continue with that. Anyone who would like to help out can paypal me at
info@andrewdurham.com

Thanks for your ongoing interest and support.

Andrew

Last edited by andrewed; 01-21-2012 at 10:49 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:21 AM   #57
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

$20 on its way.
Would love if it included a BT stack that could handle HID (keyboard, mouse) that way I could attach a BT dongle (very small these days) and then connect a portable keyboard and mouse as needed. If it can be ported to Kindle and Sony, even better. Of course some kind of note or wordprocessor app would also be required.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:51 AM   #58
andrewed
typist

@Kumabjorn:
Cool, thanks a lot. I wish there a way to let the others who were interested know there is an opportunity to help. Would it be out of bounds to PM all the people who have commented here and ask them to check out the latest development?

Once the basic problem of USB host mode has been solved, I'll put in a request for BT support.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:39 AM   #59
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Maybe wait a day or two so people who have participated here and are interested can make up their own minds without feeling external pressure. I'm fairly sure that if someone is interested in this they would want to contribute to make sure it gets done. Is there a thread on xda-developers?
Old 01-20-2012, 06:14 AM   #60
andrewed
typist

Ok, the developer got his Nook Simple Touch yesterday and started voiding the warranty in earnest.

@Kumabjorn:
Cool, I see. Will wait till we have the hack before making any more announcements.

No thread on xda. I'm leaving choice of communication channels up to developers for now.

Because it is Android, Sony is a possibility. I heard of BT for Kindle somewhere but never anything positive about USB host. Android has lots of text editors/word processors.

Last edited by andrewed; 01-20-2012 at 06:19 AM.