Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 03-15-2014, 04:47 AM   #1
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
best way to download E-book editor to Xubuntu 13.10?

I've got two Xubuntus. On one I have Calibre. On the other I have Calibre and Calibre Edit (the epub editor). Honestly I don't even know how I got the Calibre Edit. Can somebody tell me how I can add it to the machine that has only the regular Calibre? Thanks.
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 05:21 AM   #2
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
I guess with an update to the actual version. The Editor is part of Calibre.
http://calibre-ebook.com/download

Last edited by Divingduck; 03-15-2014 at 05:24 AM.
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2014, 06:25 AM   #3
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
I am also running xubuntu 13.10 and I have the latest version of Calibre (1.28). When I look into settings, then the magic wand icon I can see the Editor option.
So maybe you can get it by updating your version of Calibre or, if you're already using it, by putting the icon on the main toolbar.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:39 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
IIRC
Calibre does not automatically put menu/desktop links for the included utilities (ebook-viewer, ebook-editor....) on Linux (It does add those all to the All programs: Calibre- menu on Windows)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:28 PM   #5
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks guys. I think something buggy might be going on with the Calibre I have on the one computer (the one without the Calibre Editor). But on the computer I'm using now, I have Calibre and Calibre Editor as separate entities in my Applications menu, which is kind of convenient. The Calibre 'help' says to right click on any epub in the Calibre library and that will have a drop-down menu open and to select 'edit ebook' which is what happens on this computer. But that does not work on the other. Like I said, I think it's buggy.
Advert
Old 03-15-2014, 09:22 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Gregg Bell - Did you try adding to context menu (or toolbar) in Preference->Toolbars - see attachment

New features are not automatically added into menus or toolbars because it might 'disturb' what's already there.

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	292
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	120313  
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:24 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
Thanks guys. I think something buggy might be going on with the Calibre I have on the one computer (the one without the Calibre Editor). But on the computer I'm using now, I have Calibre and Calibre Editor as separate entities in my Applications menu, which is kind of convenient. The Calibre 'help' says to right click on any epub in the Calibre library and that will have a drop-down menu open and to select 'edit ebook' which is what happens on this computer. But that does not work on the other. Like I said, I think it's buggy.
Whoa!
I was discussing Calibre O/S differences.

In this message you are talking about the Calibre (Help) on Calibre's Context menu use (clue: Any book in the Library vs any book in the file system).

FWIW Using Ubuntu with the Cinnamon 2.0.14 desktop (which still has a menu), I do see Edit-E-Book with the familiar blue icon under Office

ebook-edit is/should be, in the /opt/calibre folder
Old 03-17-2014, 07:12 PM   #8
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@Gregg Bell - Did you try adding to context menu (or toolbar) in Preference->Toolbars - see attachment

New features are not automatically added into menus or toolbars because it might 'disturb' what's already there.

BR
Thanks Red. But when I did what you said there was no 'edit book' in the "available actions" window like there was in yours. Which leads me to believe I just don't have Edit Book on this computer. (And like I said earlier, when I right click on a book in the Calibre library there is no option to choose Edit Book.) So I need to get Edit Book somehow, or the version of Calibre that contains Edit Book. Although as I said earlier I'd prefer to have them separate.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:19 PM   #9
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Whoa!
I was discussing Calibre O/S differences.

In this message you are talking about the Calibre (Help) on Calibre's Context menu use (clue: Any book in the Library vs any book in the file system).

FWIW Using Ubuntu with the Cinnamon 2.0.14 desktop (which still has a menu), I do see Edit-E-Book with the familiar blue icon under Office

ebook-edit is/should be, in the /opt/calibre folder
ducks, I'm thinking the Edit Book simply isn't there. (see screenshot). (I have the Edit Book icon on my other computer in the applications menu.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1_035.png
Views:	293
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	120422  
Old 03-17-2014, 07:20 PM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Thanks Red. But when I did what you said there was no 'edit book' in the "available actions" window like there was in yours. Which leads me to believe I just don't have Edit Book on this computer. (And like I said earlier, when I right click on a book in the Calibre library there is no option to choose Edit Book.) So I need to get Edit Book somehow, or the version of Calibre that contains Edit Book. Although as I said earlier I'd prefer to have them separate.
Which version of calibre are you running on that computer?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:32 PM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
ducks, I'm thinking the Edit Book simply isn't there. (see screenshot). (I have the Edit Book icon on my other computer in the applications menu.)
Rather than typing
Code:
/opt/Calibre
which will attempt to execute a file called Calibre in the /opt directory, I think you EITHER want to
Code:
cd /opt/Calibre
OR
Code:
ls /opt/Calibre
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:43 PM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Rather than typing
Code:
/opt/Calibre
which will attempt to execute a file called Calibre in the /opt directory, I think you EITHER want to
Code:
cd /opt/Calibre
OR
Code:
ls /opt/Calibre
Not really, you should get this:
Code:
schwartze@ltsp22:~$ /opt/calibre
bash: /opt/calibre: Is a directory
It tests the location and attempts to execute it if it is a file.

Of course, its still a good idea to use a command on the directory, rather than just ask bash itself about it... you tend to get better failure messages...
Old 03-17-2014, 11:39 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@eschwartz: Just FYI, how a bare directory is interpreted depends on the shell. See for example the autocd option for bash.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:58 PM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@eschwartz: Just FYI, how a bare directory is interpreted depends on the shell. See for example the autocd option for bash.
Cool, thanks for the info!

But in this case, I imagine it is safe enough to assume default settings apply, also the failure message confirms the folder isn't there.

So it does seem as though it must be installed elsewhere...

In any event, Gregg, I would like to know which version of calibre is installed. Also, try typing "ebook-edit" into the terminal. If it works (opens the editor) then it is installed, just hidden. If it says:

Code:
gregory@OptiPlex-170L:~$ ebook-edit
ebook-edit: command not found
then the editor isn't there.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:02 AM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats

'Not there' would be a most unusual failure if the current install script (the Calibre Linux command line) was used and it completed without error.