Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-25-2024, 12:12 PM   #766
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I’m tempted to buy the Scribe for the large screen, as an e-reader, I have no use for Notes. I currently have a Kindle 6.8 and a Kobo Forma. I love the Forma but it’s flaky and I’d prefer a large e-reader in the Kindle family. What do people think who use the Scribe only as an e-reader? Thanks
I bought the Scribe for reading. It is excellent. Only about half as much page turning. And exceptional battery life. I took my latest version PW to a doctor appointment this morning because I can fit it into my cargo pants pocket. Almost continuous page turning. I've got a Kobo Sage but even that is on the small side after enjoying reading on the Scribe. I wish my Sage had equivalent battery life.
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 01:30 PM   #767
Neil
Addict
Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 6, iPad Air, Kindles HD 8, HD 10, Oasis 3, Scribe, PB Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB View Post
I bought the Scribe for reading. It is excellent. Only about half as much page turning. And exceptional battery life. I took my latest version PW to a doctor appointment this morning because I can fit it into my cargo pants pocket. Almost continuous page turning. I've got a Kobo Sage but even that is on the small side after enjoying reading on the Scribe. I wish my Sage had equivalent battery life.
I also use my Scribe only as an ereader and have found it to be incredible. I believe that Amazon needs to offer a version (obviously no longer called a "Scribe") that would feature the same screen and lighting but none of the taking-notes features. They might add Oasis page-turning buttons to the side bezel in order to distinguish it as a separate product and perhaps call it an "Oasis" with some sort of distinguishing Oasis model name. I dount that they will do this, though.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2024, 02:09 PM   #768
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I don't own a singe ereader. I do however own several Readers.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 02:18 PM   #769
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:

Thank you. Just got to wait now for the price to drop as it was discounted last week but not this week
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 02:18 PM   #770
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I also use my Scribe only as an ereader and have found it to be incredible. I believe that Amazon needs to offer a version (obviously no longer called a "Scribe") that would feature the same screen and lighting but none of the taking-notes features. They might add Oasis page-turning buttons to the side bezel in order to distinguish it as a separate product and perhaps call it an "Oasis" with some sort of distinguishing Oasis model name. I dount that they will do this, though.
Thank you. Just got to wait now for the price to drop as it was discounted last week but not this week
Advert
Old 04-25-2024, 02:21 PM   #771
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I don't own a singe ereader. I do however own several Readers.
Apologies if my terminology was incorrect.
Old 04-25-2024, 02:26 PM   #772
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Apologies if my terminology was incorrect.
Actually, I'm not sure what the correct term is. I use Reader and some use ereader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 05:19 PM   #773
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Around this neck of the woods "readers" are the inexpensive glasses you buy at the pharmacy that magnify whatever you are viewing. Also called "cheaters" by some.
Old 04-25-2024, 06:06 PM   #774
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
As long as people understand when someone writes ereader, eReader, Reader or even reader that they are referring to a device that can display ebooks, who really cares?

OTOH, please don't emulate one person who recently did a review on Youtube of multiple eReaders and whom referred to every one as a Kindle. Perhaps understandably, the Boox, Kobo and Pocketbook devices he reviewed were severely downrated for not being able to sync his Amazon purchases.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 08:55 PM   #775
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Honestly, “reader” is you. These devices are all “book showers”
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 05:13 AM   #776
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Does anyone know how often Scribes are discounted? Last week the basic 16GB with Basic Pen was £275 (I think) and it’s now £330 so I’m trying to be patient and wait, hoping for a reduction on Prime Day. Hubby has offered to pay the difference between last weeks price and todays price but I’m not sure what to do.

Also is 16GB enough, I’m only using it for epubs, no audiobooks, not sure how much storage any notes might take up.

Also if I send an epub through send to kindle can I use sticky notes with it? I read a lot of fan fiction which I put onto word and send as epubs. I’m often seeing spelling mistakes that I want to rectify. (I don’t proof read unless I have to first)

Sorry for all the questions but it’s an awful lot of money so I am a bit apprehensive of ordering, especially at full price.

Thank you

Last edited by Josieb1; 04-27-2024 at 06:43 AM.
Old 04-27-2024, 05:18 AM   #777
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

One of the things that really appeals to me is the ability to use the web browser to go to Archive of our Own and download an ebook (it has to be mobi for now) straight to the home page so I can read it straight away on the Scribe. I read far too much on my iPad especially late at night when I’m looking for new stories. I tried it on my PW 6.8 and it worked a treat, obviously the Scribe, having a bigger screen, would make using the browser easier.

Last edited by Josieb1; 04-27-2024 at 05:24 AM.
Old 04-27-2024, 12:35 PM   #778
LDB
Baker Street Irregular

Quote:
Also is 16GB enough, I’m only using it for epubs, no audiobooks, not sure how much storage any notes might take up.
Thank you
I just add Kindle books to mine. I currently have 76 on mine. A few of them are several books in one volume. A few have highlights or notes. Mine says 11.34 GB free of 11.88 GB. So 1 GB extrapolates to around 150 books or around 1700 if I use every byte of space. I don't know if that helps any but it's all I have info on.
Old 04-27-2024, 12:58 PM   #779
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I just add Kindle books to mine. I currently have 76 on mine. A few of them are several books in one volume. A few have highlights or notes. Mine says 11.34 GB free of 11.88 GB. So 1 GB extrapolates to around 150 books or around 1700 if I use every byte of space. I don't know if that helps any but it's all I have info on.
I’m sure 16GB is good enough too. Thank you.
Old 04-27-2024, 01:54 PM   #780
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
I have 2,000+ books on mine and it says I have 8.50 GB left.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote