Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-11-2024, 01:33 AM   #1
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Question Send to Kindle within the desktop app

I wonder why Amazon is not adding Send to Kindle in its desktop app, as an option. You can do that on iOS. I guess on Android too.

For me, that would replace the need for Calibre to store and send ebooks to my Kindle. I would have my ebooks both in the Amazon cloud and on my computer for safe keeping, and manage collections.
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 05:56 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_C View Post
I wonder why Amazon is not adding Send to Kindle in its desktop app, as an option. You can do that on iOS. I guess on Android too.

For me, that would replace the need for Calibre to store and send ebooks to my Kindle. I would have my ebooks both in the Amazon cloud and on my computer for safe keeping, and manage collections.
Your desktop/laptop has a web browser. It's got a bigger limit than STK email.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2024, 06:29 AM   #3
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
@Claude_C There is a "standalone" PC app:
https://www.amazon.com/sendtokindle/pc
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 07:41 AM   #4
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
It does have an option for this. In Kindle for PC top menu select File, Import Using Send to Kindle. That will open the Send to Kindle web page in your browser.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 01:35 PM   #5
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
It does have an option for this. In Kindle for PC top menu select File, Import Using Send to Kindle. That will open the Send to Kindle web page in your browser.

I have a Mac. The option isn't there.

That said, that's not what I'm wishing for. More of all in one app for Kindle.

Last edited by deleted2; 03-11-2024 at 01:42 PM.
Advert
Old 03-11-2024, 01:38 PM   #6
deleted2
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
@Claude_C There is a "standalone" PC app:
https://www.amazon.com/sendtokindle/pc

Yes, I know. I'm talking about the Kindle desktop App, like the one you have on your phone or tablet.

What I wish is if the desktop app had an option to import ebooks, convert them, and send them to Kindle all together.
Old 03-11-2024, 01:40 PM   #7
deleted2
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Your desktop/laptop has a web browser. It's got a bigger limit than STK email.

Sorry, I don't understand. What is STK email ?
Old 03-11-2024, 02:52 PM   #8
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have a Mac. The option isn't there.

That said, that's not what I'm wishing for. More of all in one app for Kindle.
There are two Kindle apps for the Mac. The original app (now called Kindle Classic) is basically an outdated version of the PC app and lacks the menu choice I mentioned. The new Kindle app (version 7) is pretty much identical to the iOS app. I don’t have a Mac so I just assumed that it had the same built in send-to-kindle function as the iOS app. Are you saying it doesn’t?
Old 03-11-2024, 02:57 PM   #9
deleted2
Member Retired

Quote:
I just assumed that it had the same built in send-to-kindle function as the iOS app. Are you saying it doesn’t?
No, it doesn't.

See my Kindle for Mac app (in french.)
Old 03-11-2024, 03:54 PM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Sorry, I don't understand. What is STK email ?
Send To Kindle

It can use email or a website (which is better, assuming you want STK at all).

Sorry.

I use Calibre and a USB cable. Better conversions than Amazon and private and doesn't need Internet.

I'd use the web interface if I was using it.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 04:04 PM   #11
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
No, it doesn't.
That's too bad. There is still the Send to Kindle for Mac app. It is a separate app, but I don't see what difference it makes in terms of the use case in your original post.

Quote:
Old 03-11-2024, 06:23 PM   #12
deleted2
Member Retired

Quote:
That's too bad. There is still the Send to Kindle for Mac app. It is a separate app, but I don't see what difference it makes in terms of the use case in your original post.
Not much. Right now, I'm using Calibre to store and manage my ebooks, and send them via email to Kindle.

I like to manage my ebooks by collections, but it has to be done manually with Kindle. So, while I'm on my computer, I open up the Kindle desktop app and set the ebook in the collection I want.

I would prefer to do that in only one app. First world problem... ;-)
Old 03-11-2024, 06:32 PM   #13
deleted2
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Send To Kindle

It can use email or a website (which is better, assuming you want STK at all).

Sorry.

I use Calibre and a USB cable. Better conversions than Amazon and private and doesn't need Internet.

I'd use the web interface if I was using it.
I was converting my epub to KFX before with Calibre, and transferring them via USB on my Kindle. Not sure if the conversion is better. I noticed that with email or the website, conversions seem to be better than with the Mac app. Now, I prefer to send my ebooks trough Calibre via email. Less steps is better for me.
Old 03-11-2024, 06:52 PM   #14
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I was converting my epub to KFX before with Calibre, and transferring them via USB on my Kindle. Not sure if the conversion is better. I noticed that with email or the website, conversions seem to be better than with the Mac app. Now, I prefer to send my ebooks trough Calibre via email. Less steps is better for me.
These days Amazon converts books that are delivered to them using the various send-to-kindle methods, including email, to KFX format for newer Kindles. So unless you have a particular reason to avoid send-to-kindle there is no need to use the KFX Output plugin.
Old 03-11-2024, 06:58 PM   #15
deleted2
Member Retired

Quote:
These days Amazon converts books that are delivered to them using the various send-to-kindle methods, including email, to KFX format for newer Kindles. So unless you have a particular reason to avoid send-to-kindle there is no need to use the KFX Output plugin.
My thoughts exactly. Now, like I said, I wish that the Kindle desktop app was more like Calibre. An all in one app.