Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-20-2024, 03:52 PM   #31
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
My preferred font size is on the smaller side and I only read standard epubs, but I still prefer a 7'' or 8'' screen. I don't exactly need a larger screen, I just prefer it. A 6'' screen is no longer fine for me - it leaves me with a cramped and frustrated feeling.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 10:56 PM   #32
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
My preferred font size is on the smaller side and I only read standard epubs, but I still prefer a 7'' or 8'' screen. I don't exactly need a larger screen, I just prefer it. A 6'' screen is no longer fine for me - it leaves me with a cramped and frustrated feeling.
I still enjoy reading on my 5" eReaders sometimes (Kobo Mini and Sony PRS-350). If Kobo came out with a 5", front lit Kobo Mini, I would seriously consider buying it. I like light and portable eReaders.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 05:38 AM   #33
JBaby
Zealot
JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 11th Gen Paperwhite SE, 2021 iPad Pro 11” & iPhone 11 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
One acquaintance of mine who has the PW5 Signature edition is also complaining about scratches though they have kept it in a case since it was purchased. Much like Nate Hoffelder, they think the issue is from having to clean the screen often due it's love for showing fingerprints. OTOH, they use the same cleaning clothes on their glasses which are not showing any scratches suggesting the plastic layer on their PW5 is too soft.

I’ve had my SE since launch I clean it with the same microfiber cloths I use for my glasses. I don’t have a single scratch on the screen.
JBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 08:59 AM   #34
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post

I suppose that is the case here, but I have never had any such scratching issues, and I'm not as fastidious as I might be.

I do have the latest two Paperwhite models, do not use covers with them etc. I use same cleaning cloth or wipes I use for my eyeglasses to clean, but occasionally just use the t-shirt I'm wearing.
I will say that I bought the original 8GB edition of the PW5 in 2021, and I didn't have the same scratch problem at all with that one, despite not putting it in a case nor using a screen protector, taking it everywhere with me at home and outside. Meanwhile, my 32GB PW5 SE has loads of scratches and has been used more carefully. So maybe it's a screen robustness issue that's a matter of luck? Suggests inconsistency of screen resilience quality control perhaps.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 09:11 AM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If any Reader is not in a case, it will be more prone to being scratched.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 09:32 AM   #36
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
I think that's taken as read. The point is more than even with all such precautions taken, the PW5 screen is still vulnerable to scratches, which suggests it's more fragile than it should be.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 09:41 AM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
I think that's taken as read. The point is more than even with all such precautions taken, the PW5 screen is still vulnerable to scratches, which suggests it's more fragile than it should be.
I think it's user error.
Old 03-22-2024, 03:19 AM   #38
JBaby
Zealot
JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Differences between Paperwhite versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylander View Post

Every screen will scratch given the right conditions. But with precautions taken it’s completely possible to have a scratch-free screen. I’ve had 4 Kindles and only one, the first one, had a scratched screen. I bought it used from a rummage sale. I clean my screens and keep my Kindle in a sleeve case. I put it inside the sleeve every single time I stop reading even if I’m only setting it down for a minute.

Last edited by JBaby; 03-25-2024 at 05:53 AM.
Old 03-22-2024, 08:22 AM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

A sleeve is not all that protective because you have to go to the hassle of putting it back in after you are done reading and you may not do that all the time. A book style case is best as you will close that when you finish reading.
Old 03-22-2024, 08:31 AM   #40
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I don't use covers. And I don't put my ereaders in a sleeve when I stop reading for a short while, only when I know I won't be reading for a long time. No scratches ever, not a single one.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 10:04 AM   #41
paperwhite13
Zealot
paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle PW3 [KOReader]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I still enjoy reading on my 5" eReaders sometimes (Kobo Mini and Sony PRS-350). If Kobo came out with a 5", front lit Kobo Mini, I would seriously consider buying it. I like light and portable eReaders.
Sometimes it's just more convenient to read on my phone, so both a smaller eink device and a larger one like the remarkable 2 or scribus would be nice, but all in all, the phone, the 6in PW3 kindle and the larger 11in tablet cover all the bases, more devices would be too many for me

Last edited by paperwhite13; 03-22-2024 at 11:03 AM.
paperwhite13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 04:40 AM   #42
JBaby
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
A sleeve is not all that protective because you have to go to the hassle of putting it back in after you are done reading and you may not do that all the time. A book style case is best as you will close that when you finish reading.

You forgot to add “for you.” I hate book cover cases. They add too much weight for me. I prefer a snap on the back shell case with a sleeve combo. I do not like clear cases. As I said before I always put my Kindle in its sleeve when I’m not reading. Every. Single. Time.
Old 03-23-2024, 02:34 PM   #43
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaby View Post
You forgot to add “for you.” I hate book cover cases. They add too much weight for me. I prefer a snap on the back shell case with a sleeve combo. I do not like clear cases. As I said before I always put my Kindle in its sleeve when I’m not reading. Every. Single. Time.
After I read the blog post from The eBook Reader, I noticed that my Paperwhite had a small scratch. Not noticeable when I read, but it was there. I immediately bought a sleeve, to protect the screen. I used to have a clear case and the corners would protect the screen when I put it down. Or so I thought. Anyways, I got this sleeve from Amazon. Like you, I always put it in after I have finish reading.
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 03:09 PM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Maybe the sleeve scratched the screen.
Old 03-23-2024, 03:13 PM   #45
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Maybe the sleeve scratched the screen.
Read carefully... I bought the sleeve after I saw a small scratch.
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote