Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-13-2024, 05:46 PM   #346
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Chef View Post
It really depends for me on what value the order brings.
I may have a different order which I find gives me more value/reading enjoyment. Should any of us not gain more enjoyment by using our preferred order rather than being told we must use the "one true order"? Is my preferred reading order intrinsically better than the one chosen by you or anyone else? Not flipping likely.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 05:49 PM   #347
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
For those who break the Discworld books into smaller arcs, Death #4 would be correct since the Death arc would be Mort, Reaper Man, Soul Music, Hogfather & Thief of Time.

I have seen quite a few people who break Discworld up into the following subseries:

Discworld: Death
Discworld: City Watch
Discworld: Witches
Discworld: Rincewind
Discworld: Tiffany Aching
Discworld: Industrial Revolution

Much like the people who break up Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar series into multiple subseries such as Valdemar:Last Herald-Mage, Valdemar:Mage Storms, etc.

There is no one true way.
But that not accurate. That what someone made up. That would be a subtitle if anything.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 05:50 PM   #348
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Right, so not an actual error then, just an I Don't Like It This Way.
It is an actual error and then there is the foreign language bit in the series that's wrong because this is an English edition.
Old 03-13-2024, 05:57 PM   #349
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But that not accurate. That what someone made up. That would be a subtitle if anything.

It may not be a series/subseries from the author/publisher but who are you to say that it is accurate? Would you disagree that the 5 books in the Death subseries/arc do not belong together? On my Kobo, if I search for Discworld:Death, it shows me those 5 books though I do keep the series index for the entire series. Other people use a secondary series column for subseries. That is not my choice but I don't see any reason to say that they are wrong.

Dogmatism ill becomes you.

There’s no such thing as ‘one true way’; the only answers worth having are the ones you find for yourself;”—Mercedes Lackey
Old 03-13-2024, 06:00 PM   #350
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The other series bits in Discworld are not official. So they do not count when being put in the series field of a site like GR. You can do it however you want in calibre, but GR needs to use just the official series names and numbers.
Old 03-13-2024, 07:33 PM   #351
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Ah, but which official order?
C.S. Lewis delayed some or one book in the Narnia series. The publisher originally had them in his order.
  1. The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe
  2. Prince Caspian
  3. The Dawn Treader
  4. The Silver Chair
  5. The Horse and his Boy
  6. The Magician's Nephew
  7. The Last Battle
It was a boxed set I had (still have) and that was the order on the back of the box. The individual books were not numbered. The suggested reading order was both C.S. Lewis's order and also the order they were published, but not the order they were written!

I read them in that order and then the second time I read them in internal chronological order, which is what the publisher uses now, with numbers on the books.
  1. The Magician's Nephew
  2. The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe
  3. The Horse and his Boy
  4. Prince Caspian
  5. The Dawn Treader
  6. The Silver Chair
  7. The Last Battle
This in purely internal chronological order and not the order they were written, or published, or desired by Lewis!

Many years later I understood Lewis's order. The publisher was in sense wrong to later change it. It's reasonable to read in internal Chronological order or any order on re-reading.

Another example is the Wolves/James III series of alternate history by Joan Aiken (some of the series neither have wolves nor James III). There is an extra book set in the same alternate history not part of the series, I think, "Midnight is a Place".

I checked Wikipedia
Quote:
Main "Wolves Chronicles" series
  1. The Whispering Mountain (1968), a prequel to the series
  2. The Wolves of Willoughby Chase (featuring Bonnie Green, Sylvia Green and Simon) (1962)
  3. Black Hearts in Battersea (featuring Dido Twite and Simon) (1964)
  4. Nightbirds on Nantucket (Dido Twite) (1966)
  5. The Stolen Lake (Dido Twite) (1981)
  6. Limbo Lodge (U.S. title: Dangerous Games) (Dido Twite) (1999)
  7. The Cuckoo Tree (Dido Twite) (1971)
  8. Dido and Pa (featuring Dido and Is Twite) (1986)
  9. Is (U.S. title: Is Underground) (Is Twite) (1992)
  10. Cold Shoulder Road (Is Twite) (1995)
  11. Midwinter Nightingale (featuring Dido Twite and Simon) (2003)
  12. The Witch of Clatteringshaws (featuring Dido Twite and Simon) (2005)
Related novels
Midnight Is a Place (1976)
That order is more or less internal chronology and actually Joan Aiken's recommended order, if you were starting after 1999 (when Limbo Lodge was published). However it wasn't the order you got reading them as they were published. She didn't have C.S. Lewis's luxury.
Midnight Is a Place seems to occur sometime between 3 and 9 on internal time line. She apologised for The Witch of Clatteringshaws (pub 2005!) being short, but didn't want it to be like Edwin Drood. She died in 2004.

So you only had a problem with the Series order if you started reading before Limbo Lodge was published in 1999.

Then there is L.E. Modesitt's Recluce series. Maybe there is a recommended order, I didn't look. Internal order and publishing order are unrelated, but unlike "Wolves Chronicles" reading in internal chronological order is problematical.

In your own library, Calibre managed or not, you can have any order you like, but a site like Goodreads should have:
  • Authors recommended order, if exists.
  • Order first published.
  • Publisher's current recommended order, if different.

Most series are simple and one order works.
Any sub-series are only official if the books have that as subtitles, or the author says so, or the publisher says so, otherwise it should in an additional information section. I think with Discworld the three official series are the main books, The Science of series and the Tiffeny Aching Books with also some standalone such as Maurice and his Amazing rodents.

Obviously people can read in any order they want.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 07:56 PM   #352
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._Guide_3.0.jpg
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 09:27 PM   #353
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Ah, but which official order?
C.S. Lewis delayed some or one book in the Narnia series. The publisher originally had them in his order.
  1. The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe
  2. Prince Caspian
  3. The Dawn Treader
  4. The Silver Chair
  5. The Horse and his Boy
  6. The Magician's Nephew
  7. The Last Battle
It was a boxed set I had (still have) and that was the order on the back of the box. The individual books were not numbered. The suggested reading order was both C.S. Lewis's order and also the order they were published, but not the order they were written!
As far as I know including several comments from C. S. Lewis, he did not 'delay' some of the books as he did not have some overarching design for the series.

Going by the publication dates from the original publisher, the order you show above is the order in which they were written/published. From C. S. Lewis' writings as quoted by others, it would appear that he had a bit of a preference for the chronological order for reading.

I think I agree with your order for reading the books more than with your mother’s. The series was not planned beforehand as she thinks. When I wrote The Lion I did not know I was going to write any more. Then I wrote P. Caspian as a sequel and still didn’t think there would be any more, and when I had done The Voyage I felt quite sure it would be the last. But I found as I was wrong. So perhaps it does not matter very much in which order anyone read them.
C. S. Lewis, 4/23/57

Although The Magician’s Nephew was written several years after C. S. Lewis first began The Chronicles of Narnia, he wanted it to be read as the first book in the series. HarperCollins is happy to present these books in the order in which Professor Lewis preferred.

“[HarperCollins] asked, ‘What order do you think we ought to do them in?’ And I said, ‘Well … I actually asked Jack himself what order he preferred and thought they should be read in. And he said he thought they should be read in the order of Narnian chronology.’ So I said, ‘Why don’t you go with what Jack himself wanted?’ So, it’s my fault basically—the order of Narnian chronology. And I’m not the least bit ashamed of it.”—Douglas Gresham

See Narnia Reading Order, There’s only one right order to read the Narnia books (a rather dogmatic view of the reading order) and other sources for more on this tempest in a teapot.

Last edited by DNSB; 03-13-2024 at 09:30 PM.
Old 03-13-2024, 09:46 PM   #354
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
Excellent example of a diagram improving on verbiage.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 06:34 AM   #355
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
As far as I know including several comments from C. S. Lewis, he did not 'delay' some of the books as he did not have some overarching design for the series.
I'm sure he did write about delaying one, maybe The Horse and His Boy. Also he may have changed his mind about the order. He certainly didn't start by planning a series and had things he later "retconned". The Inklings pointed out some inconstancies in TLTWATW.

However I didn't write that over long post to argue a particular order for Narnia, but just that a site like GR ought to list order published, current / last publisher recommended order (if there is one), and author's preferred order if there is one. There may also be an internal chronological order, which might be a 4th list (or a 2nd one) or in a discussion about the series.

But any readers suggested orders shoul donly be in comments or their own library, not official "metadata".

Really I'm writing that's it's not simple, and an author may change their ideas on the order later.

I'm not arguing for a particular order on any series.
Old 03-14-2024, 06:41 AM   #356
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I think with Discworld the three official series are the main books, The Science of series and the Tiffeny Aching Books with also some standalone such as Maurice and his Amazing rodents.

Obviously people can read in any order they want.
Discworld's published order is also the chronological order. There's only one official order. The sub-series are not official They are user added and should not be on GR. You're own calibre library sure if that's what you want.
Old 03-14-2024, 06:42 AM   #357
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
That's all wrong for anyone first reading Discworld. You lose so much by not reading in order the first time. It only works if you've already read the series. And by reading out of order, there are the spoilers. Discworld does not recap so you miss things and you lose the nuance of the series. And then there are things you should not know that you would know if you read out of order.
Old 03-14-2024, 06:45 AM   #358
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Excellent example of a diagram improving on verbiage.
Very poor example for a first read.
Old 03-18-2024, 11:46 AM   #359
nabsltd
Evangelist
nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen), Scribe
Quote:
Should we move on to the reading order vs. publication order series indexes?
Although The Hunt for Red October was the Tom Clancy Jack Ryan-verse book that was published, Patriot Games was actually written first and published second.

Clancy had the idea for Red October, but couldn't get the handle on certain parts of the Jack Ryan character. When he was in London doing research, he came up with the backstory that turned into Patriot Games, and wrote most of it (at least a draft) before really digging in to Red October, which was shown by the British naval officers being very deferential to Jack Ryan, as he had saved their future king (in the not-yet-published book).

So, the reading order for this case is definitely not publication order, but rather chronological.

For a non-book example where "publication" seems to work better, Captain Marvel as the flashback movie it was instead of putting it right before the final scene of Captain America.
nabsltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 12:42 PM   #360
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

I still don't understand why the Russians put a Scotsman in charge of one of their subs.