Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-07-2016, 04:29 PM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Audible Beta Launches New Service

Welcome to our beta launch of Channels, everyone

Audible Channels

Quote:
From our origins—harking back to the time when Audible commercialized the first digital audio player—we have believed the quality and character of daily life would be enhanced by little devices packed with the culture's most compelling and artfully performed spoken words.

Today, many millions of people like you continue to redefine the concept of reading by listening to Audible's audiobooks.

Now I'd like to invite you to explore a beta version of a new benefit of Audible membership—an unlimited short-form listening service we believe will become as popular and addictive as Audible's audiobook service—and I hope you'll let us know what you think of this work in progress.

Just open your Audible app for iOS and Android and tap on Channels to get an early look at an unlimited, on-demand service featuring a "best of" collection of news programs and compelling audio editions of magazine and newspaper articles, comedy shorts, lectures, short fiction and nonfiction, and other quality entertainment, information, and educational programming you won't find anywhere else. Trailblazing original programming is also in the works, and this exciting lineup—much of it voiced by the culture's most gifted creators—will elevate Audible Channels going forward.

As we test and work to improve this new listening experience, we welcome your feedback and ideas.

Please let us know what you like, and don't like, at channelsfeedback@audible.com.

And thanks for listening. Don Katz - Founder and CEO

Last edited by tubemonkey; 09-14-2016 at 08:45 AM.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:47 PM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This appears to be a new benefit for Gold and Platinum members at no additional cost. I've been playing with the app and there's quite a bit of short listens on there. Perfect for short commutes, lunch breaks, doctors office, standing in long lines, etc. Not sure how much additional content they'll add when they go out of beta or how long the content will stay or rotate.

Audible Channels

70+ channels of fresh, curated listening.
Audible Channels expands your listening options with an entirely new and diverse suite of programming.

What does Channels cost?
Nothing! Channels is a free benefit for Audible members.

Are there limits on how much I can listen?
Nope. Members get unlimited listening (unless your account is on hold).

Can I listen to Channels on the web? On Kindle?
Channels is only available within the iOS and Android apps at this time.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 04-07-2016 at 05:04 PM.
Advert
Old 04-07-2016, 07:32 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
It will probably be awhile before this shows up on Fire devices. Trying it out on my iPad.

I see that there's now a Setting to 'Stream only on Wi-Fi' option, which seems only to apply to Channels at present (wish they would enable streaming for audiobooks also). Channels stream by default, but you can download them (one segment at a time) for offline listening.

There are around a hundred channels.

Last edited by tomsem; 04-07-2016 at 08:29 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:01 PM   #4
Steve H
Connoisseur
Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle HDX, Paperwhite, Oasis2
I just stumbled onto this tonight. Pretty interesting.
Steve H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 12:12 PM   #5
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
This appears to be a new benefit for Gold and Platinum members at no additional cost.

What does Channels cost?
Nothing! Channels is a free benefit for Audible members.
Thanks for the heads-up. I listened to some of the Channels content yesterday, on my Android smartphone.

FYI, I've had Audible trial memberships in the past but am not currently a member. Nonetheless, all of the Channels content is available to me. (At least, it is now, while in Beta.)
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2016, 01:59 PM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froide View Post
Thanks for the heads-up. I listened to some of the Channels content yesterday, on my Android smartphone.

FYI, I've had Audible trial memberships in the past but am not currently a member. Nonetheless, all of the Channels content is available to me. (At least, it is now, while in Beta.)
I have it too and I'm not a member. I believe anyone with an Audible account will get it while it's in beta. I like it, but not enough to pay $15 a month.
Old 04-08-2016, 05:38 PM   #7
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
It doesn't do a lot for me, but it doesn't _always_ have to be about me.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:25 PM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have it too and I'm not a member. I believe anyone with an Audible account will get it while it's in beta. I like it, but not enough to pay $15 a month.
You would of course primarily be paying $15/month for audiobook credits (and member-only sales of same). This is just a bonus, like the NYT/WSJ daily digest that comes with membership.

But I already listen to about 10 hours of podcasts a week, and there are many thousands of those to choose from. It's not clear these offer much of unique value.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:38 PM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
You would of course primarily be paying $15/month for audiobook credits (and member-only sales of same). This is just a bonus, like the NYT/WSJ daily digest that comes with membership.

But I already listen to about 10 hours of podcasts a week, and there are many thousands of those to choose from. It's not clear these offer much of unique value.
I realize that, but $15 for an audiobook is way too much for me and I never do member-only sales. Between free libraries, Whispersync deals, and $0~$3 membership offers, I get more than enough audiobooks to satisfy my wants.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:14 PM   #10
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I realize that, but $15 for an audiobook is way too much for me and I never do member-only sales. Between free libraries, Whispersync deals, and $0~$3 membership offers, I get more than enough audiobooks to satisfy my wants.
If I were being as rational about it as you are, then I'd at least suspend membership for awhile. I always have to scramble to use credits before renewal, and with the various non-member deals, I have a bit of a backlog to work through (though not nearly as large as my ebook backlog). I also tend to only go for longer books (to 'maximize value' of credit), which does not help.

Note Annual Gold membership works out to $12.50/credit, and Platinum $9.50/credit. Combine that with 2 for 1 or 3 for 2 deals and it's less still.
Old 04-10-2016, 11:07 AM   #11
Steve H
Connoisseur
Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle HDX, Paperwhite, Oasis2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
If I were being as rational about it as you are, then I'd at least suspend membership for awhile. I always have to scramble to use credits before renewal, and with the various non-member deals, I have a bit of a backlog to work through (though not nearly as large as my ebook backlog). I also tend to only go for longer books (to 'maximize value' of credit), which does not help.

Note Annual Gold membership works out to $12.50/credit, and Platinum $9.50/credit. Combine that with 2 for 1 or 3 for 2 deals and it's less still.
Cheaper by far than buying Big 5 Agency controlled e-books!
Many are not aware of the benefits of Platinum instead of the monthly fee!
12 months of gold membership 12x14.95 179.40 Twelve books
Platinum 24 books for 229.50
catch a good signup like I did and get up to 3 FREE...27 audio books for 229.50 or 8.50 an audio book.
The channels are an added benefit that will probably expand over time. Audible is doing what Amazon Prime has done...add benefits until it becomes hard to resist for some users.
Steve H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:06 PM   #12
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Audible channels are now free to Prime Subscribers.
No paid audible subscription needed.

http://phoenix.corporate-ir.net/phoe...cle&ID=2201508

Quote:

Amazon and Audible today announced a new premium spoken-word benefit for Prime members in the U.S. Members now enjoy unlimited free access to the new short-form digital audio service, Audible Channels, as well as a rotating selection of more than 50 audiobooks from Audible’s catalog. Audible Channels for Prime now joins the growing list of all-you-can-eat benefits for Prime members including guaranteed unlimited fast, free shipping, unlimited access to Prime Video, Prime Music, Prime Photos, early access to Lightning Deals and more. Prime members can access Audible Channels for Prime by downloading the Audible app for iOS, Android, and Windows 10.
More at the source and here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/audible/ch...dbf6cf4a84fe0a
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 01:26 PM   #13
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Audible channels are now free to Prime Subscribers.
No paid audible subscription needed.

http://phoenix.corporate-ir.net/phoe...cle&ID=2201508

More at the source and here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/audible/ch...dbf6cf4a84fe0a
Free benefits added to my Prime membership are always welcome, but it appears that a lot of the available free content, notably the full audiobooks, are for streaming only, no downloading, making them useless during my commute. <sadface>.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 01:42 PM   #14
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
Can anyone find the list of 50 free books? And share a link? I can't find it, either on the web site or in the app.

Ok, I was able to view the books available for streaming. Meh.

Last edited by booklover6; 09-13-2016 at 01:57 PM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 02:31 PM   #15
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
One other thing breaking today: When the Echo Dot returns later this month it's coming in at $49.
http://the-digital-reader.com/2016/0...o-dot-twitter/

The two moves might be related, as a way to get more people exposed to audible.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote