Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-29-2024, 01:43 PM   #37231
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
My kobo elipsa factory reseted it self. Ticked me off to redownload all my ebooks and re-set up overdrive
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 03:00 PM   #37232
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
So as I understand it, the way it works now is one day a near-illiterate self-proclaimed journalist (aka "influencer") misuses "crispy" that way in a barely-intelligible online review, the next day all the "influenced" copy and paste it, or retweet it, or whatever, and the third day the web crawler bot that serves in place of an editor for dictionary.com lists the new definition for 'crispy', and now you're oppressive, insensitive and offensive for daring to suggest it's wrong.

They use the term crispy for the Libra 2 and Clara BW because the new Kobo color Readers are soggy.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2024, 05:54 AM   #37233
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB632 [HD3]
Why do clothes need such extensive information labels? And why multiple labels? I have a pair of underpants with 3 labels stitched together, the longest of which is almost as long as the garment itself!

And in some tshirts they've moved the label location to the side where it's even more irritating than at the back of the neck.

Is there some kind of clothes labelling union making a lot of money from this nonsense?
neil_swann80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 07:26 AM   #37234
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Another clothing rant:

Why have they removed drawstrings from hoods? I do get it with kids' clothing and the risk of a dangling string getting caught in something, but couldn't they let an adult make an informed choice and take their chances? It seems the likelihood of Isadora Duncan-ing it is so negligible as to be nonexistent. Or a grownup could, y'know, remove the drawstring if they felt at risk.

I got caught in the rain the other day while wearing a hoodie and I'd really, really have liked the ability to cinch the hood tight!

Last edited by issybird; 05-02-2024 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Fingers and mind not aligned.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 07:40 AM   #37235
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Angela Isadora Duncan
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2024, 08:42 AM   #37236
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Angela Isadora Duncan
Of course. Edited; thank you.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 04:00 PM   #37237
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Around here a lot of clothing labels are now printed on the fabric. A new shirt's label disappeared in the first wash.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 07:48 PM   #37238
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
When the game feed goes out one pitch before your team hits a grand slam.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 06:12 PM   #37239
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
I accidentally used bodywash in my hair. Now it feels all weird.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 06:29 PM   #37240
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
I accidentally used bodywash in my hair. Now it feels all weird.
I've done this too. Frankly, I couldn't tell the difference, but then my hair is very short.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 07:10 PM   #37241
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I attended a townhall meetings about rodent issues. Since usable mouse poisons are now banned (the one and done versions), mouse are becoming more of an issue in this area. The townhall meeting organizers want to promote banning lethal mousetraps to encourage a catch and release mindset. I asked where do they think the mice will go when they are released and got a 'they will be happy in their new home and stay there' response. I suggested that we should get the addresses of the people running the meeting to give us places to drop the mice off. This suggestion was greeted by a mix of "great idea!" and "we'll call the police!" from the attendees.
Old 05-07-2024, 08:23 PM   #37242
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I attended a townhall meetings about rodent issues. Since usable mouse poisons are now banned (the one and done versions), mouse are becoming more of an issue in this area. The townhall meeting organizers want to promote banning lethal mousetraps to encourage a catch and release mindset. I asked where do they think the mice will go when they are released and got a 'they will be happy in their new home and stay there' response. I suggested that we should get the addresses of the people running the meeting to give us places to drop the mice off. This suggestion was greeted by a mix of "great idea!" and "we'll call the police!" from the attendees.
Catch and release for bears. For lots of animals. But mice/rats? No way. Good old fashioned snap traps are the only way. Yes, ban the poisons -- too much risk of the mouse/rat dying where a dog or bird or other animal might decide it looks yummy. Plus, TRUST ME, you don't want that mouse/rat to die inside your walls!
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 09:13 PM   #37243
DNSB
Bibliophagist

I agreed with the one and done poisons being banned—they were just too dangerous.

But think of those poor mice dying! And their orphaned children! And yes, one of the townhall participants used that phrase.

Personally, I vote for snap traps and a bit of study of the paths taken by the mice. The Hotel California theory of pest control.

One of my neighbours went for the 'ball-bearing mousetrap' though their adoption had been spayed. The only mouse they've seen since her arrival was in the cat's mouth.

Dug back for the origin of the phrase ball-bearing mousetrap and earliest I could find was a story by George O. Smith called Rat Race.

Quote:
"We won't be long if this thing works like this every night. This is better than the original ball-bearing mousetrap."

"Which?"

Peter grinned. "The tomcat," he said.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cat_with_mouse.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	208114  

Last edited by DNSB; 05-07-2024 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Added origin of quote "ball-bearing mousetrap"
Old 05-08-2024, 07:38 AM   #37244
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Last week I got a Kobo Clara Colour, I ordered directly from Kobo. I loved it, but it had a screen defect (looked like the screen layers in one corner weren't properly glued). They agreed to exchange it and send me a return label.

I send it out yesterday and kept an eye on the tracking page. Just now I saw that DHL couldn't deliver it because the recipient refused to sign for it. No information if it'll be returned to me or if DHL is going to attempt another delivery.

So now I'm back on the chat with Kobo. I hope I won't get it back. I have better things to do at the moment than returning packages I've already returned. We're getting the keys to the new house on Monday and we're already in preparing mode for all the DIY things we need to do next week before the professionals come in.

It took a while, but CS on chat can't help me and escalated it to another team, who will contact me via email within the next two days, which will probably be three days, since it's a bank holiday in the Netherlands tomorrow.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 08:47 AM   #37245
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Good grief. You can't make up that level of stoopid. Why not get the veterinarians involved and do "trap, neuter, release" to prevent the little buggers from breeding? (Joking of course lest someone think I'm serious)

Nothing beats the old fashioned snap traps. It's quick and done. We just had a conversation about mice in a rental property with a cousin. The landlord wants them to use the sticky traps, and told them to then "smash it with a brick" to kill them. Because the snap traps are inhumane.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness