Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-23-2024, 01:21 PM   #1
Teabs
Teabs began at the beginning.

Device: kINDLE
Categories/Collections

I'm looking for a solution to a particular issue regarding collections/categories.

I know you can create a Collection column in Calibre, which is great, but is there a way to have it show up on the ebook reader app I use on my tablet?

Basically I have a huge ebook collection and like to keep things ordered by putting them into categories. To get them to show up in my ereader I have to enter the metadata on my tablet. That is time consuming and not particularly user-friendly. I want a way to be able to quickly enter the categories on my laptop and then send that metadata to my tablet.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.
Teabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 03:00 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The answer is no.

Get a Kobo Reader and you'll be able to do what you want with collections.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 04:01 PM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
By Kobo Reader JSWolf means a Kobo eink device, not the Kobo app on a tablet. On a Kobo ereader, you can transfer your Calibre collections and other metadata automatically over. Not in any app I know of and not on a Kindle.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 04:24 PM   #4
Teabs
Teabs began at the beginning.

Device: kINDLE
Thanks guys, I'd rather not buy a new device if I can avoid it. Are there any other apps/software that could do what I want?
Teabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 04:53 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Amazon added bricks to the Kindle walled garden to prevent doing that with ANY 3rd party app. I believe K4 was the last that fully supported Kinde Collections (the Plugin) Features
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 05:25 PM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Maybe Calibre Sync:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=345380

I haven't tried it myself.
Old 04-24-2024, 07:38 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Maybe Calibre Sync:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=345380

I haven't tried it myself.
The Calibre Sync website doesn't say anything about collections.

So really, a Kobo Reader is the best choice for being about to use Calibre to create collections.

I know of no programs that will work with calibre to create collections.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 09:35 AM   #8
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Calibre Sync website doesn't say anything about collections.
It says custom columns, though. Collections can be either tags or a custom column, so I guess CalibreSync works with them.
Old 04-24-2024, 12:43 PM   #9
Wiggo
Leftutti
Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
It says custom columns, though. Collections can be either tags or a custom column, so I guess CalibreSync works with them.
Of course it does. Only columns built from other columns doesn’t work.

But CalibreSync is not a reading app……
Wiggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 12:52 PM   #10
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggo View Post
Of course it does. Only columns built from other columns doesn’t work.

But CalibreSync is not a reading app……
No, but it's a way to see the metadata on your tablet. I'm not aware of any other way to do it. Well, Calibre server does the same, but it requires the host computer to be running.

Tags
categories, collections, edit, metadata