Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 01-02-2015, 06:07 PM   #1
machinogodzilla
Addict
machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PBook 902† Kindle† Nook SimpleTouch† Onyx M92† i86† M96 N96ML NotePro
[M96] App switch aka ALT+TAB aka long press home

Hi,

In M96 sadly neither the physical nor the on-screen home button provide the same functionality as ALT+TAB on my computer or long press home in my phone for quickly switching between recently opened programs (or books for that matter).

Normally I have to press on-screen home at the top of the screen to quit the reader, then click on Apps at the bottom, then unluckily the app's name that I happen to use the most frequently starts with A so tap near the top again. Then to get back to my book I have to tap home and then press the thumbnail under Now Reading heading. All in all a painful process.

Unless someone has a better solution for that I feel it's a strong case for a legit feature request. Ideally I would like to have a couple of home-like icons, one for switching between apps, and another one for switching between the books

Meanwhile I have followed the advice from this article and installed Nova Launcher. It requires some tweaking before becoming usable (change the wallpaper to white, all the labels to black, disable animations as much as possible, set Home button to Recent Apps...). All this hassle to get to something that saves me one click but removes recent books list and is not optimised for e-reader use. I found it unsatisfactory.

Has anyone had better experiences in this area?

Last edited by machinogodzilla; 01-03-2015 at 05:28 AM.
machinogodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 03:03 AM   #2
mixx22
mixx22 began at the beginning.

Device: onyx boox
Hi
try "My Home Button"
mixx22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2015, 02:15 PM   #3
eb00ker
Connoisseur
eb00ker began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG / Onyx Boox M92 / M96 / C67 AFTERGLOW 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by machinogodzilla View Post
Meanwhile I have followed the advice from this article and installed Nova Launcher. It requires some tweaking before becoming usable (change the wallpaper to white, all the labels to black, disable animations as much as possible, set Home button to Recent Apps...). All this hassle to get to something that saves me one click but removes recent books list and is not optimised for e-reader use. I found it unsatisfactory.

Has anyone had better experiences in this area?
yes,
i changed my blunt and non-multitasking M96 to something pretty useful in conjunction with the following apps:

ADW Launcher (Highly customizable home replacement app)
full!screen (for hiding the systembar and adding replacement buttons)
Smart Task Launcher (fastest function(Apps, Shortcut, etc.) launcher.
Assistive Zoom (allows you to 'pinch to zoom' with a stylus -)
FX File Explorer (great file explorer for managing everything...)

for some Apps your device should be rooted ...
eb00ker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 06:33 PM   #4
nknouf
Enthusiast
nknouf began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M96 Universe
Thanks for suggesting full!screen, it looks like it would work wonderfully; however, when I have it enabled, it seems to disable the ability to force a screen redraw by long-holding the hardware menu button on the left. Does it do that for you?
nknouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 02:56 AM   #5
eb00ker
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by nknouf View Post
Thanks for suggesting full!screen, it looks like it would work wonderfully; however, when I have it enabled, it seems to disable the ability to force a screen redraw by long-holding the hardware menu button on the left. Does it do that for you?
Yes, unfortunately this is normal. I hope this will be fixed by Booxtor in a later update
Advert
Old 01-08-2015, 01:39 AM   #6
nknouf
Enthusiast
nknouf began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M96 Universe
Okay, thanks for letting me know. Strange how these side effects interact sometimes!
nknouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 03:43 AM   #7
afainber
Connoisseur
afainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the rough

Device: Boyue Likebook Plus, Inkbook Explore
full!screen "hides" the status bar by killing the process that is responsible for displaying it. This process has other UI-related roles as well - such as forcing the refresh. The Onyx devices have a graceful way to hide and show the status bar without the side effects, but it requires some programming skills/Tasker. In one of the threads here I provided a link to a small app I wrote (http://www15.zippyshare.com/v/17452187/file.html) that shows and hides the status bar.
Those of you who need this functionality - can you tell a bit more about the use cases? I can try to adjust this app/provide an alternative solution for you.
afainber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 12:09 PM   #8
eb00ker
Connoisseur

Thumbs up Great APP

Quote:
Originally Posted by afainber View Post
full!screen "hides" the status bar by killing the process that is responsible for displaying it. This process has other UI-related roles as well - such as forcing the refresh. The Onyx devices have a graceful way to hide and show the status bar without the side effects, but it requires some programming skills/Tasker. In one of the threads here I provided a link to a small app I wrote (http://www15.zippyshare.com/v/17452187/file.html) that shows and hides the status bar.
Those of you who need this functionality - can you tell a bit more about the use cases? I can try to adjust this app/provide an alternative solution for you.
Hi afainber,

your selfmade 'ToggleFullscreen.apk' works really great on my M96.
A big thanks to you! The force refresh home button is now working as it should...

[Image violates posting guidelines for size - MODERATOR]

BTW: Could you add some replacement buttons with configurable functionality to your app ?
just like we have seen in the "full!screen" app... (check picture above)- this would be really top-notch.

Plus, I wish there would be a widget for turning on the fullscreen-mode instantly from my desktop... an autostart option wouldn't be wrong either

@booxtor: maybe you could implement this useful app in your future firmware updates?

eb00ker

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-31-2015 at 06:22 AM.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:05 AM   #9
afainber
Connoisseur
afainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the rough

@eb00ker: Which Launcher do you use? As far as I know, the Onyx launcher does not support widgets on the desktop, but if you use a more standard one, I'll see what I can do.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:26 AM   #10
eb00ker
Connoisseur

Thumbs up

Quote:
@eb00ker: Which Launcher do you use? As far as I know, the Onyx launcher does not support widgets on the desktop, but if you use a more standard one, I'll see what I can do.
Hello afainber,
I'm using the ADW.Launcher

Thanks for your help :-)

eb00ker
Old 01-27-2015, 05:31 AM   #11
kuskro
Connoisseur
kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.kuskro is less competitive than you.

Device: Onyx Boox T68 & M96
Quote:
Originally Posted by machinogodzilla View Post
Hi, in M96 sadly neither the physical nor the on-screen home button provide the same functionality as ALT+TAB on my computer or long press home in my phone for quickly switching between recently opened programs (or books for that matter).
With Button Savior app you can switching between recently opened programs (through long-press home icon) and create a popup windows with 9 different app shortcuts.
kuskro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 01:59 PM   #12
afainber
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb00ker View Post
Hello afainber,
I'm using the ADW.Launcher

Thanks for your help :-)

eb00ker
I don't know when I'll have the time to do it, but when I do - you'll get the widget :-)
Old 01-27-2015, 02:50 PM   #13
eb00ker
Connoisseur

Quote:
I don't know when I'll have the time to do it, but when I do - you'll get the widget :-)
Great
Old 01-31-2015, 03:42 AM   #14
florianbw
florianbw has learned how to read e-booksflorianbw has learned how to read e-booksflorianbw has learned how to read e-booksflorianbw has learned how to read e-booksflorianbw has learned how to read e-booksflorianbw has learned how to read e-booksflorianbw has learned how to read e-booksflorianbw has learned how to read e-books

Device: Onyx Boox M96
Floating Toucher Ex

Also, have a look at Floating Toucher Ex. It adds a small icon (just as assistive zoom) and when you click it you have an overlay menu. When you double-click it, you will get the recent apps, by default.
florianbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 06:23 AM   #15
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moderator Notice

Please take a few moments to read our Posting Guidelines, in particular the part about the maximum image size allowed (600x600 pixels).

Thanks.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alt tab, application launcher, recent reads, switching applications