Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 01-18-2024, 10:49 AM   #1
seannymurrs
seannymurrs began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone X, iPad Pro (10.5")
Question Front light quality on Boox devices vs. Kindles?

I'm considering getting a Onyx Boox device to replace my current Kindle Oasis (gen 2). While doing some research, one of the things I see mentioned a lot as a negative towards the Boox devices is the front lighting. I've specifically seen it mentioned regarding the Page and Palma devices (those are the two I've primarily been considering). I'm wondering how bad the lighting truly is on these compared to my current Kindle. I'd greatly appreciate any insight, especially from people who have experience with both devices. Thanks!
seannymurrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 05:02 PM   #2
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
I've never tried Kindles so I can't offer any opinion on that.
Earlier B&N Nooks you could count how many LEDs were at work if you held the display at the correct angle.
With the Poke3 and Poke5 I've never noticed anything at all.
OTOH some people are pickier than me.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2024, 08:58 PM   #3
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
My impression from watching reviews on MyDeepGuide is that Boox has improved the frontlight quality over the years, but it's still not as perfectly uniform as you would get on a Kindle or Kobo device, if uniformity is important to you. You also have to deal with Boox's frontlight control, which has separate warm and cold intensity sliders, rather than a single intensity slider with a warm/cold mixing slider.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 09:26 PM   #4
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Should be fine. An onyx Nova about 4 years old is similar to a Libra 2. The new ones have probably improved. Depends how picky you are.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 10:38 PM   #5
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Although I've never owned a Kindle, I have several Kobos and I have a good number of Boox devices both old and new. Never have had an issue with the frontlights on any of them.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2024, 09:55 AM   #6
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
I own a lot of Kindles and a Boox Poke 2 and Poke 4 lite. The lighting on all of them appears even.

The Poke 4 lite lighting is about as good as my Kindle Voyage (which is the best of the Kindles) and the PW3 and PW4.
slm is offline   Reply With Quote