Notices

Old 12-04-2023, 03:52 PM   #16
porphyry5
Connoisseur
porphyry5 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara, Onyx Boox Monte Cristo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Yeah, but this is one of those "second channel" devices.
It's not listed on https://shop.boox.com/
I don't understand this business model either.

What is the exact name of this?
Code:
adb shell getprop ro.product.model
adb shell "getprop | grep finger"
I assume the commands should be run on the device itself, but I have no idea how to get to a command line on it. Not a sophisticated user.

Just in case not, on my laptop the code produces
Code:
~ $ adb shell getprop ro.product.model
* daemon not running; starting now at tcp:5037
* daemon started successfully
error: no devices/emulators found
~ $ adb shell "getprop | grep finger"
error: no devices/emulators found
I also cannot access any of the update sites mentioned in the other posts, all forbidden in one way or another, I suppose all Russian sites are censored here due to the war.
porphyry5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 05:40 PM   #17
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by porphyry5 View Post
Just in case not, on my laptop the code produces...
Ok, then you need to go to step #0:
Code:
adb devices
Nothing seen? Then you either don't have your device plugged in or else ADB is not enabled.
Google "build number x7" or "enable ADB"
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2023, 06:18 PM   #18
porphyry5
Connoisseur

Quote:
Ok, then you need to go to step #0:
Code:
adb devices
Nothing seen? Then you either don't have your device plugged in or else ADB is not enabled.
Google "build number x7" or "enable ADB"
Yes, having the device plugged into the laptop makes a big difference. My apologies for my blindness.

Code:
~ $ adb devices
* daemon not running; starting now at tcp:5037
* daemon started successfully
List of devices attached
0123456789ABCDEF        device

~ $ adb shell getprop ro.product.model
MC_Cristo5
~ $ adb shell "getprop | grep finger"
[ro.build.fingerprint]: [Onyx/MC_Cristo5/MC_Cristo5:4.4.4/2020-10-15_18-36_2.1.2_3867f11/1382:user/dev-keys]
Old 12-05-2023, 07:48 PM   #19
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok, well I'm losing track of what we're discussing.
I'm still getting 403 from Russian links and Web Archive is giving me 503!

The US/EU and Russian software and distribution are entirely separate.
Does the Russain software have encryption like the US/EU?
Do you have a URL to query for software updates returning JSON?
Are your updates big (1.5 GB) or small (300 MB)?
Old 12-06-2023, 02:03 AM   #20
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
The update.upx from here is 369,393 МБ
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2023, 07:02 AM   #21
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Oh, thank you.
So it is encrypted, just like the US/EU stuff.
Has anybody extracted the keys?
The MC5 is a newish device, isn't it?
Could somebody look for this file and post it, please?
Code:
adb pull /system/lib64/libota_jni.so
(You don't need to be rooted or anything.)
Old 12-08-2023, 06:40 AM   #22
Renate
Wizard

Aw, doesn't anybody have a /system/lib64/libota_jni.so ?
Old 12-08-2023, 05:51 PM   #23
porphyry5
Connoisseur

Quote:
I downloaded this file and at the completion of the download, the site declared it was decrypting the file. So keys not necessary?

And is the following then still necessary?

Quote:
Oh, thank you.
So it is encrypted, just like the US/EU stuff.
Has anybody extracted the keys?
The MC5 is a newish device, isn't it?
Could somebody look for this file and post it, please?
Code:
(You don't need to be rooted or anything.)
Old 12-08-2023, 06:37 PM   #24
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
I downloaded this file and at the completion of the download, the site declared it was decrypting the file. So keys not necessary?
They are not necessary for your device to decrypt the update to install automatically.

They are necessary for people to decrypt the update so that they may have a stock copy of the boot image for rooting with Magisk.

Quote:
And is the following then still necessary?
Yes, please.
Old 12-14-2023, 05:59 PM   #25
porphyry5
Connoisseur

Quote:
I sideloaded update.upx to my Monte Cristo Storage folder and started it there. Took about 10 minutes to install. No change in the dictionary access however.

But that is for epubs. Dictionary lookup for pdfs works fine, automatically accessing the same dictionaries that I must access manually when reading an epub.

Correction: problem is solved for epubs too. The update changed a lot of the symbols from those of the original. The first symbol in the menu presented when a word is hilited gives dictionary definition.

My thanks to all for your help.

Last edited by porphyry5; 12-14-2023 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Problem is solved
Old 12-15-2023, 06:31 AM   #26
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
Correction: problem is solved...
How about pulling this file? It's only 10-20k.
It will allow others to root their Monte Cristo.
Code:

Last edited by Renate; 12-17-2023 at 05:37 AM.
Old 12-27-2023, 07:39 PM   #27
porphyry5
Connoisseur

Quote:
How about pulling this file? It's only 10-20k.
It will allow others to root their Monte Cristo.
Code:
Sorry for the slow response. I'm not understanding what I have to do to get this to work.

Presumably the file you're asking for is on my Monte Cristo. I don't know how to open Android file systems with command line commands. The gui file browser thunar does not show /, only
Quote:
mtp://Onyx_MC_Cristo5_0123456789ABCDEF/Internal storage/

Please advise.
Old 12-28-2023, 06:26 AM   #28
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
Please advise.
That's MTP which doesn't have access to much.
You need to enable ADB: Build number x7, install driver, etc.
Code:
C:\>adb pull /system/lib64/libota_jni.so