Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-10-2011, 05:00 PM   #1
s1mp13m4n
Zealot
s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Advice for my 2nd ereader, want to go larger

Hello everyone. I have an Amazon K3 6inch model and I use it daily for reading. I have never used it to buy books as I always did that with the computer. I also side load books to it rather than have them delivered to the unit....I am not sure why but I do. I have a Kandle 2 reading light for it and the non-lit Amazon cover for it. I want to go larger in a second ereader. Here is what I think I want but not totally sure:

library Overdrive support
scaleable PDF support
larger than 6 inch display
unsure if I want e-ink or LCD
read indoors and some outside when weather is nice, but 90% inside
read the Bible so a fast search or "go to" would be nice

I like my K3....I am just thinking that I want a larger display because I am visually impaired and I feel it would make reading even easier. I use reading glasses with my K3 now so I do not have to scroll and turn pages so much due to a large font. Thank you for the help.
s1mp13m4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:05 PM   #2
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: MeeBook, Kobo Libra Colour
You won't be able to read it outdoors, but it sounds like the Nook Color might be what you're looking for.

If you root it, you can even download library books directly from the Overdrive app, and Google Books directly from the Google Book app.

Personally, I only use mine to read PDFs because for long-term reading LCD screens tire my eyes quickly, but it works quite well for that, with the EZ PDF reader app (available from the Nook app store, no root required).

But there are so many things you can do with a rooted NC, I highly recommend you root it if you get one.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2011, 05:31 PM   #3
s1mp13m4n
Zealot
s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.

I was looking at a B&N Nook Color online and it looks nice but I wonder about the screen size....it is only 1 inch larger....does that really help?
Old 08-10-2011, 05:58 PM   #4
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1mp13m4n View Post
I was looking at a B&N Nook Color online and it looks nice but I wonder about the screen size....it is only 1 inch larger....does that really help?
the one inch is measured diagonally so it does have more square inches in surface space. I have both the nook classic 6 inch and the nook color 7 inch. The 7 inch is much nicer, it's mor akin to the size of a trade paperback sort of.

I like it better.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:00 PM   #5
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Have you considered the Kindle DX? Overdrive support should be here in the next couple of months.

I can't think of any e-ink screens that have scaleable PDF support.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2011, 06:06 PM   #6
s1mp13m4n
Zealot

I have thought about the Kindle DX....it will just be larger than what I have now and that is ok with me. I see that a rooted NC pretty much gets you a low cost Android tablet PC...which is rather neat....I am just not sure that I can see the thing well enough to use it as a tablet....again my eyes and not the device are the problem. I need to get my hands on the NC and see what it looks like to me I think. What about the Pandigital Novel 9 inch model?
Old 08-10-2011, 06:34 PM   #7
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Well, you know what they say: Every little bit helps...

But, it sounds like you would want a bigger screen size than 7" for your eyes. I went from a 6" reader to a 7" reader and yes, it is a little noticeably bigger, but not really that much.

For you I'd recommend at least a 9" screen to get what you want.

Of course, there is weight to consider. The larger, the heavier. So you're trading in less page turns on a larger font for a heavier device. That might be what you really want to decide on: what's more important to you, less frequent page turns with a large font, or weighs less.

If weighs less ends up being more important, maybe you should consider a 7" or just using the one you have now. I would recommend also considering the Sony 950 of the 7" models since it hasn't been mentioned yet, or waiting to see what new Sony and Kindle models come out soon that might be 7".

ETA - One more thing: I've heard the nook colour is a good device, and I know you say you're undecided on LCD vs e-ink, but if you have vision problems I don't know if that would increase eye strain. If it does, you might really want to consider sticking to e-ink because LCD causes many people eye strain. If you are not worried about eye strain, then by all means keep nook colour in your options if you decide to go the 7" route.

Last edited by sun surfer; 08-10-2011 at 06:38 PM.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:45 PM   #8
s1mp13m4n
Zealot

I am not concerned with weight, so screen size, larger font, and less page turn is more important to me right now. Does that help?
Old 08-10-2011, 08:58 PM   #9
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Seems like the Kindle DX would be your best bet.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:01 PM   #10
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
I am not concerned with weight, so screen size, larger font, and less page turn is more important to me right now. Does that help?
Yes, so I'd recommend going with a 9"+ e-ink e-reader such as the Kindle DX for the best reading experience for you. I don't know so much about them though, so I'll leave it to others to present your options.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:10 PM   #11
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: MeeBook, Kobo Libra Colour
Quote:
Nook Colors can be found not only at Barnes & Noble, but also at Staples (that's where I got mine).

So a hands on look should be pretty easy to do.

As far as e-Ink goes, supposedly the newer Sony readers have the best PDF support, with zoom and landscape modes. I don't have one (mine's a 505), but I'm sure someone could throw in here.

Although the Kindle DX is larger, from what I've heard the PDF support is not great, but again, I don't have experience with that.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:38 PM   #12
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
both my father in law and my father, who eyes are starting to go prefer reading on my nook color because of the brightness and sharp text of the screen.

something to think about.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:42 PM   #13
s1mp13m4n
Zealot

That is something that I was thinking about....the fact that it is backlit and does not require a light source may help me. I am curious about the Pandigital Novel in 9inch because of its large backlit screen. Just a thought.
Old 08-13-2011, 03:29 AM   #14
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
I may be late jumping in, but would you consider an enTourage eDGe? I think there are still some for sale on ebay at a good price ($169). The e-ink screen is 9.7" and is attached (opens like a large book, or a sideways laptop) to an Android LCD that is 10.1". I use mine as my primary reader and it is quite marvelous!

There are some problems with some units, and the company is out of business, but there is a strong and helpful community here on MobileRead. I think it hits all of your requirements, including pdf support (on either screen).

Browse here and see what you think: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=218

Hope you enjoy whatever you decide to get!!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote