Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-08-2023, 06:28 PM   #1396
edu84
edu84 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I'm going to assume that you are running Windows in a 64 bit version.

Download the kcc_5.6.2.exe file from Github

If you do not already have 7Zip installed, download it from the 7Zip home page. I would recommend the .exe installer.

Download the Kindle Previewer from Amazon. This is the only way to get the most current version of KindleGen.

Install 7Zip and add it's path to the Windows Path variable. The path should be C:\Program Files\7-Zip\ for the default install.

Download and install Kindle Previewer. This will install into your App Data directory. As mentioned in the KCC docs, the usual path would be C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Amazon\Kindle Previewer 3\lib\fc\bin\ for a standard install. Replace <username> with your Windows username.

Create a directory ( I boringly called it KCC) on your desktop. Copy the downloaded the KCC executable and the kindlegen.exe into that directory.

If you have set the path to 7Zip correctly, KCC should come up and happy when you click on KCC<whatever>.exe.
Hello,
I don't understand what to do with adding the 7z path to the windows variables, I think that's the only thing that fails me.
can you explain it better please?
edu84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 10:35 PM   #1397
innocenat
Zealot
innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PPW5, Quaderno A4, Supernote A6X, Leaf 2
Quote:

Download and install Kindle Previewer. This will install into your App Data directory. As mentioned in the KCC docs, the usual path would be C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Amazon\Kindle Previewer 3\lib\fc\bin\ for a standard install. Replace <username> with your Windows username.

Create a directory ( I boringly called it KCC) on your desktop. Copy the downloaded the KCC executable and the kindlegen.exe into that directory.
The latest version of KCC should automatically use Kindle Previewer kindlegen.exe if installed on the default path -- no need to copy anymore.
innocenat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2023, 11:55 PM   #1398
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by innocenat View Post
The latest version of KCC should automatically use Kindle Previewer kindlegen.exe if installed on the default path -- no need to copy anymore.
Sadly, when I tried it, KCC complained about kindlegen.exe until I copied it to the KCC directory. I'm using a new computer with a week old install of Kindle Previewer.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 12:11 AM   #1399
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edu84 View Post
Hello,
I don't understand what to do with adding the 7z path to the windows variables, I think that's the only thing that fails me.
can you explain it better please?
Sheeshh... is doing a Google or other search a lost art?
  1. Right click on the Windows icon in the Taskbar and then click on System
  2. Type path in the Find a setting box and click on the magnifying glass icon.
  3. Click on the Edit the system environment variables option.
  4. Click on the Environment Variables button.
  5. Click on the Path variable under System variables
  6. Click on New button
  7. Enter C:\Program Files\7-Zip\ in the text box
  8. Click on OK and close the various open windows.
  9. That's all, folks!

Here's a YouTube video for Windows 8 but the basics are the same.

Last edited by DNSB; 06-09-2023 at 12:14 AM.
Old 06-09-2023, 01:02 AM   #1400
ayuand
ayuand began at the beginning.

Device: pw 5
Quote:

If you do not already have 7Zip installed, download it from the 7Zip home page. I would recommend the .exe installer.

Download the Kindle Previewer from Amazon. This is the only way to get the most current version of KindleGen.

Install 7Zip and add it's path to the Windows Path variable. The path should be C:\Program Files\7-Zip\ for the default install.

If you have set the path to 7Zip correctly, KCC should come up and happy when you click on KCC<whatever>.exe.

okay so i followed the steps and everything went fine but even after installing 7 zip on C:\Program Files\7-Zip\ im getting " add 7z to the path" message.

what am i doing wrong?

thanks for the help
ayuand is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2023, 08:14 AM   #1401
ayuand

Quote:

i did everything as you mentioned and it went well, the only issue i have left is the 7 zip.

i installed it in C:\Program Files\7-Zip\ but still getting the add 7z to path message. what am i missing. thanks for you help
Old 06-09-2023, 09:41 AM   #1402
edu84

Quote:
Sheeshh... is doing a Google or other search a lost art?
  1. Right click on the Windows icon in the Taskbar and then click on System
  2. Type path in the Find a setting box and click on the magnifying glass icon.
  3. Click on the Edit the system environment variables option.
  4. Click on the Environment Variables button.
  5. Click on the Path variable under System variables
  6. Click on New button
  7. Enter C:\Program Files\7-Zip\ in the text box
  8. Click on OK and close the various open windows.
  9. That's all, folks!

Here's a YouTube video for Windows 8 but the basics are the same.

worrking, thanks!
Old 06-09-2023, 10:43 AM   #1403
edu84

I have a small problem, the mangas that I use in the kindle do not occupy the entire screen of the kindle, to improve that I use kindle comic converter and I choose kindle pw5, and strach/ upscale,
With these options they are perfect occupying the entire screen, but I have noticed that the images that have a dark gray fill are darker than in the original without going through the kindle comic converter.
Does anyone know how not to alter the colors or the range of black / gray?
Old 06-09-2023, 11:19 AM   #1404
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayuand View Post
i did everything as you mentioned and it went well, the only issue i have left is the 7 zip.

i installed it in C:\Program Files\7-Zip\ but still getting the add 7z to path message. what am i missing. thanks for you help
You added the C:\Program Files\7-Zip to the path variable? Did you check that 7-Zip was installed in that directory? If you open a command prompt and type 7zfm and hit enter, does the 7-Zip File Manager screen open?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	path_variables.png
Views:	226
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	201935  
Old 06-09-2023, 11:49 AM   #1405
innocenat
Zealot
innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PPW5, Quaderno A4, Supernote A6X, Leaf 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by edu84 View Post
I have a small problem, the mangas that I use in the kindle do not occupy the entire screen of the kindle, to improve that I use kindle comic converter and I choose kindle pw5, and strach/ upscale,
With these options they are perfect occupying the entire screen, but I have noticed that the images that have a dark gray fill are darker than in the original without going through the kindle comic converter.
Does anyone know how not to alter the colors or the range of black / gray?
Select custom gamma and set gamma to 1.0
innocenat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 12:33 PM   #1406
ayuand

Quote:
You added the C:\Program Files\7-Zip to the path variable? Did you check that 7-Zip was installed in that directory? If you open a command prompt and type 7zfm and hit enter, does the 7-Zip File Manager screen open?

thanks man i finally did it. you are a life saver. the world is a working and a functional place because of people like you. have a nice day
Old 06-20-2023, 04:29 PM   #1407
DREAMINGMASTR
DREAMINGMASTR began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite 5
Help with installing

Hi! so im trying to install this program but when i find the files on github i just get a .exe file, and when i try to do the 7zip thingy in path i cant find it at all, its like there is no paths at all. does someone know a fix or could help me install this program? would be much apprecitade. (sorry if this is a common question im not really to familiar with github)
DREAMINGMASTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 02:24 PM   #1408
axu2
Connoisseur
axu2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by DREAMINGMASTR View Post
Hi! so im trying to install this program but when i find the files on github i just get a .exe file, and when i try to do the 7zip thingy in path i cant find it at all, its like there is no paths at all. does someone know a fix or could help me install this program? would be much apprecitade. (sorry if this is a common question im not really to familiar with github)
Here's the 7zip installation guide: https://github.com/ciromattia/kcc/wi...allation#7-zip
axu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 05:58 PM   #1409
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by axu2 View Post
Here's the 7zip installation guide: https://github.com/ciromattia/kcc/wi...allation#7-zip
I suspect the key line in the guide will be the:

Quote:
setx path "%path%;C:\Program Files\7-Zip"
which will save having to jump through the hoops required to add the path from the GUI.
Old 06-23-2023, 01:41 AM   #1410
axu2
Connoisseur
axu2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by idealcrash View Post
I have been converting some comics for Kindle DX with KCC from .jpg to .mobi and every other page shows up as blank on the Kindle DX. After some research this problem seems to be related to page sizes, but I see that it was marked as 'solved' in an update years ago. Any suggestions? Many thanks.
For DX conversions, you need to do CBZ. Or get a Kindle Scribe, it's way better. Way better resolution and instant page turns. That's how the old mangle app did it.
axu2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
k5 tools, kcc, kindle tools