Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-09-2023, 05:24 AM   #121
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lys View Post
Indeed, and my problem has only one solution: do not buy anymore from Amazon.

The OP wondered why it was a necessity to stop buying from Amazon only because their content couldn't be deDRM anymore. And my answer was related to that: it's a necessity to stop buying from Amazon because - as long as I can't deDRM it - I can't read what I buy on my e-reader.
And this regardless of my personal stance over my ownership of the ebooks I buy.

Amazon can do whatever they want with its DRM policy. They won't care about a small minority of us who won't access anymore their content.
Fair on them, fair on us not to buy from them something we have no use for.
But there are works on Amazon that are exclusive to Amazon.
If that's what you want then there's nothing you can do but shop there - Amazon has even taken care of that.
It's just not quite as convenient as on a special device unsuitable for Amazon.
I tried it and it works: reading a Kindle book on the Kobo Glo HD in the Cloud Reader

Last edited by ottischwenk; 01-09-2023 at 05:29 AM.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 05:30 AM   #122
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
No.
The devices that can DRM are supplied with DRM - at least from amazon.de
Obviously you have no idea what you're talking about. No one wants to copy content directly from the device. It's well known that wouldn't work.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2023, 05:32 AM   #123
Lys
Zealot
Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Too many) Kobo(s)
Quote:
But there are works on Amazon that are exclusive to Amazon.
If that's what you want then there's nothing you can do but shop there - Amazon has even taken care of that.
It's just not quite as convenient as on a special device unsuitable for Amazon
I can still decide not to buy them. Buying a book or consuming something is not something mandatory. Does it suck? Yes, but I will survive.
If the author can be reached out, I may decide to try and contact them and check if it's possible to get their ebooks in another way. Otherwise? I'll move on.

I won't destroy my eyesight and give myself headaches over a book, no matter how good it is. And for sure I won't buy a Kindle device just because Amazon has decided to try and force their hand.
Lys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 05:36 AM   #124
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
But you can still read the content:
At least on the device you "bought" it on.
There's K4PC, or the Cloud Reader.
In September, the power was out for half a week after a storm. I had several Kindle books loaded onto my Kobo.

I wouldn't have been able to read them using K4PC (no power for the computer) or Cloud Reader (no power for the modem).
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 05:38 AM   #125
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Obviously you have no idea what you're talking about. No one wants to copy content directly from the device. It's well known that wouldn't work.
You obviously forgot what you wrote here
Advert
Old 01-09-2023, 05:41 AM   #126
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You obviously forgot what you wrote here
Of course not. "Download and transfer via USB" doesn't mean copying content from the device.
Old 01-09-2023, 05:42 AM   #127
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
In September, the power was out for half a week after a storm. I had several Kindle books loaded onto my Kobo.

I wouldn't have been able to read them using K4PC (no power for the computer) or Cloud Reader (no power for the modem).
Was it later?
And you can't read on a reader without electricity - it has to be charged in order for it to work at all
Old 01-09-2023, 05:44 AM   #128
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Of course not. "Download and transfer via USB" doesn't mean copying content from the device.
To download and transfer via USB you have to specify a device - otherwise it won't work.
And with new devices that are DRM-enabled, you will then receive a DRM file
Old 01-09-2023, 05:49 AM   #129
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
To download and transfer via USB you have to specify a device - otherwise it won't work.
And with new devices that are DRM-enabled, you will then receive a DRM file
Yes, and that DRM can be removed, at least at the moment.
Old 01-09-2023, 06:03 AM   #130
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Yes, and that DRM can be removed, at least at the moment.
No - not with DeDRM (from amazon.de).
Old 01-09-2023, 06:03 AM   #131
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Or you can skip that content, as other posters have said. It's a personal decision and what you value more, that is, there is no right or wrong approach in this situation.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 06:05 AM   #132
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
No - not with DeDRM.
Books before January 3 are still unaffected, though we don't know if this change.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 06:06 AM   #133
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Was it later?
And you can't read on a reader without electricity - it has to be charged in order for it to work at all
I have solar charged power banks to recharge ereader or mp3 player or analogue radio. So probably good for 5 to 10 years of no electricity (the limit seems to be battery/cell life).
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 06:30 AM   #134
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Books before January 3 are still unaffected, though we don't know if this change.
Yes, but books after 3.1. are affected and those only loaded for kfx incapable devices (e.g. Kindle 4) can be handled in Calibre under DeDRM.
Old 01-09-2023, 06:47 AM   #135
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle PW1
Quote:
those only loaded for kfx incapable devices (e.g. Kindle 4) can be handled in Calibre under DeDRM.
This claim is also incorrect.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote