Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-11-2017, 04:57 PM   #121
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakkaday View Post
is the new device heavier?
is 7 inch too big?
Yes, it's heavier. 7" is not too big. I use a 6.8" screen and I don't see a 7" screen as too big. Once you get used to a bigger screen, 6" seems small.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 04:57 PM   #122
Jason90
Addict
Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Wow this come out of nowhere and is a fantastic upgrade all round...pre-order in

Everything i wished for in the 2016 kindle is in here,i may of preferred amazon to of stretched the screen to something similar to the Aura one but i wouldn't complain too much.

If the amazon kindle team has been paying attention to these forums then the no.1 request was to increase the screen size so at 7" they have probably struck a decent balance between weight portability.

I actually tried the original oasis and hated the design,specifically the 'hand grip' which was far too small and i found uncomfortable and cramped,in the end i had to return it but with this oasis being bigger the hand grip looks much bigger and hopefully i will be able to get on with it.

One point i think hasn't been posted yet is it will use the I.MX7,the kindle lineup has been stuck on the ancient i.mx 6 for years so it should produce noticeable speed up in heavy graphic items such as comic books/manga,hey the web browser might actually like not crash most of the time
Jason90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2017, 05:00 PM   #123
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Is it possible to switch off the front light completely? That worked on the original Oasis but not on the Paperwhite 1 - 3.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:02 PM   #124
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Philips ones:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LWJ6EB7/

Half price when bought with the Oasis. Not high-end, certainly, but I'm sure they'll be fine for audiobooks.
I'd go looking for better headphones.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:06 PM   #125
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'd go looking for better headphones.
So would I, if I wanted to listen to music on them (for which I use my Bose headphones at considerably more than 10x the price of these), but I'm sure they'll be fine for audiobooks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2017, 05:36 PM   #126
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by positively4th View Post
I really don't understand why anyone would want to listen to audio books on an e-ink reader -- regardless of if it's a built in speaker, wired or wireless headphones/speakers. I never used it, but I can understand the appeal of the text to speech that's been missing since the K3... but audible books? Doesn't every $20+ smartphone made in the last 10 years have an audible app, and in most cases probably more listening options (wired AND wireless, built in speaker, etc)? Really is just a head-scratcher for me. Not complaining that the functionality is there, just confused WHY it's there... The e-ink reader gives me an experience I can't get other places, audible seems out of place.

In my head I'm thinking, audible books on an e-ink reader might appeal to a less tech savvy customer that doesn't own or use a smartphone made in the last 10 years... but that same customer is going to figure out how to pair bluetooth headphones?
I buy a lot of whispersync audiobooks now as I no longer have a subscription. It would be lovely to seemlessly switch between audio and reading on the one device. Yes I have a smartphone and a tablet, multiple tablets actually, but most of the time when I am reading I don't have my phone or tablet with me. I know it means I need to keep my headphones with me but I carry my ereader in a pouch so I'll add them to it.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:40 PM   #127
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

If you listen to audiobooks on the go, BT earphones would be a better idea then the cheap (quality) BT headphones Amazon is offering.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:40 PM   #128
kaibob
Connoisseur
kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Paperwhite 3
I ordered the 32GB wifi, no special offers, and the midnight (aka midnight black) leather cover. I did get the $20 credit from the trade-in of my PW1, which softened the blow just a tiny bit.
kaibob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:04 PM   #129
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I have created a wiki page for this product https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Oasis_7

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:05 PM   #130
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by positively4th View Post
I really don't understand why anyone would want to listen to audio books on an e-ink reader -- regardless of if it's a built in speaker, wired or wireless headphones/speakers. I never used it, but I can understand the appeal of the text to speech that's been missing since the K3... but audible books? Doesn't every $20+ smartphone made in the last 10 years have an audible app, and in most cases probably more listening options (wired AND wireless, built in speaker, etc)? Really is just a head-scratcher for me. Not complaining that the functionality is there, just confused WHY it's there... The e-ink reader gives me an experience I can't get other places, audible seems out of place.

In my head I'm thinking, audible books on an e-ink reader might appeal to a less tech savvy customer that doesn't own or use a smartphone made in the last 10 years... but that same customer is going to figure out how to pair bluetooth headphones?

Although one interesting thing that crossed my mind, they do still have an Oasis option with free cellular service. I wonder if you can stream all the audible content you want. That might be nice for some folks and I can understand appeal of that.

Also, if they figure out how to add "immersion reading" like the tablets and ios app have, I can see appeal in that... I heard on the kindle chronicles podcast with an interview about it that they haven't really got anything to announce on that.
I agree about unattractive ness of a Kindle for audiobooks (I used it a little on my first Kindles, but it has been iPods and smartphones since then). It looks like it is a little better than previous attempts but without immersion reading I don’t see the point. I think they only added it (back) because they already needed audio for the accessibility features and so it was sort of ‘for free’, and maybe helps bring audiobooks to people who haven’t tried them out before, and it might confer more ‘value’ to someone considering a purchase.

But if TTS was on the feature list as well, I know there are more than a few people who would get excited about that.

On the Kindles that previously supported download of audiobooks (Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Touch) you needed to use wifi for that. I’m sure that will remain the case with Oasis + cellular. Likewise, if they supported streaming that would no doubt be wifi only as well. Amazon’s contract with providers probably stipulates this.

Last edited by tomsem; 10-11-2017 at 07:33 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 07:55 PM   #131
ArthurianLegends
Connoisseur
ArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kindle Touch (4rth Gen)
I did not spring for the first Oasis for reasons of a price point that I felt should have included the very things that this one has, such as audible narration. With the water proofing, larger display, light sensor I think it may be time to finally upgrade from my old kindle. But given all the troubles i have seen with initial production runs in terms of quality control, I will wait ever so patiently until I see any possible issues resolved and then put this on my wishlist in the near future. I am excited about this Oasis and hope it does not disappoint.
ArthurianLegends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:20 PM   #132
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurianLegends View Post
I did not spring for the first Oasis for reasons of a price point that I felt should have included the very things that this one has, such as audible narration. With the water proofing, larger display, light sensor I think it may be time to finally upgrade from my old kindle. But given all the troubles i have seen with initial production runs in terms of quality control, I will wait ever so patiently until I see any possible issues resolved and then put this on my wishlist in the near future. I am excited about this Oasis and hope it does not disappoint.
Good point about ‘initial production runs’. I have not had good luck with pre-orders. Returned/exchanged my first Kindle 2 (‘sun fade’), my first Kindle Touch (dark screen) and my first Paperwhite (blotchy colors). Kindle 3 was good. I waited some months on all of the several others and they have all been fine.

Still, I feel lucky enough to consider pre-ordering this thing.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:28 PM   #133
Waitingforatrain
Groupie
Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Voyage
Exactly. I would consider if my voyage broke. Otherwise no need for $300+. Plus I would wait for reviews (especially lighting).

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Waitingforatrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 10:07 PM   #134
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
Just curious how many of y'all read in landscape mode.
I read PDFs in landscape on my PW2, after running them through k2pdfopt. That makes just about every PDF readable. With a 7-incher, and k2pdfopt support for it, I imagine it will make PDFs that much easier to read.

I don't need another e-Ink reader, and mostly value portability, but for that purpose, I may get the bigger Oasis 2.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 12:39 AM   #135
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Amazon China has a rose gold version.

https://www.amazon.cn/kindle-store/d...9PSB66TGU&th=1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote