Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-14-2007, 01:27 PM   #121
reak
reak began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
Is it really possible to use *mobipocket.COM* books on the kindle?

Igor, first let me say that I think you are doing an amazing and, in my opinion, very important work. I believe that in the end, DRM'd books will be a thing of the past, just like DRM'd music, which is dead already, and in no small way thanks to the people like you. What we need is a blanket worldwide license for all kinds of content and the sooner it'll become a reality, the better.

Now, as for your current mobipocket-kindle hack which sparkled an 8-page long debate in this thread, it seems to me that it doesn't really work the way people think it does. The moment the vendor you are buying your books from decides to block Kindle IDs, that's it. From reading your new blog it is obvious that mobipocket.com doesn't allow you to redownload your files with a Kindle ID already, so the whole row is pointless. It is impossible to buy a book from Mobipocket.com and read it on the Kindle. You are saying that Fictionbooks works fine, but that's only for the time being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
So yes, with a little modification you can make a tool to add extra PIDs to a Mobi file (which AZW is) without actually decrypting the content and read it on your PC or other devices. You decide whether it's legal or not... I guess it depends also on your country of residence
I suppose that a tool which would allow one to add PIDs to files without the vendor's involvement is what is really needed by humanity. Leaving apart the questions of legality, of course.
reak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 01:40 PM   #122
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by reak View Post
I suppose that a tool which would allow one to add PIDs to files without the vendor's involvement is what is really needed by humanity. Leaving apart the questions of legality, of course.
It still wouldn't help for those benighted souls whose platform of choice isn't supported by mobipocket with a version of their software. If you're going to crack the DRM, go all the way and get the content out. May as well be hung for a sheep as for a lamb.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2007, 01:50 PM   #123
reak

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
It still wouldn't help for those benighted souls whose platform of choice isn't supported by mobipocket with a version of their software. If you're going to crack the DRM, go all the way and get the content out. May as well be hung for a sheep as for a lamb.
Cracking DRM all the way is simply much more difficult, as I understand it. Igor said that adding more PIDs is possible without decripting the file. That would be a nice solution while we are waiting for more substantial advances.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:52 PM   #124
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I believe that in the end, DRM'd books will be a thing of the past, just like DRM'd music, which is dead already
I believe you're mistaken - about the music, I mean. Take a look at Apple's iTunes store; you'll find that the overwhelming majority of music on it is DRM-protected.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 01:59 PM   #125
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkai View Post
I will call up Amazon tomorrow and ask them what they think
Well? What did they say?
Advert
Old 12-14-2007, 02:03 PM   #126
reak

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I believe you're mistaken - about the music, I mean. Take a look at Apple's iTunes store; you'll find that the overwhelming majority of music on it is DRM-protected.
I'm not talking about the stores but about the music people are actually listening to. You'll need $40K to fill an iPod with iTunes songs. What about the huge number of mp3 players which are not iPods and therefore you can't buy music to fill them "DRM-way" anywhere. Of course, the stores offering DRM music are there, and the DRM talk is there allright. However, if you look closely you'll see that the concept is dead and everybody in the industry knows that, even while they are still suing some unfortunate p2p folk.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:06 PM   #127
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Cracking DRM all the way is simply much more difficult, as I understand it.
Oh, it's quite easy all right, but after the last C&D letter I'm a bit hesitant about releasing such things...
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 02:07 PM   #128
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Nonetheless, I believe that Apple have some ridiculous share of the MP3-player market - isn't it 80+% or something like that? - and iTunes is the most popular music store in the world, bar none. It makes huge amounts of money.

I don't personally buy from iTunes, because it's not very good for classical music, which is my thing. I buy CDs and rip them myself.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:16 PM   #129
reak

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Oh, it's quite easy all right, but after the last C&D letter I'm a bit hesitant about releasing such things...
May I ask what the letter was about and when you got it? Was it from Amazon or Sony?

Of course, I see what you mean about feeling hesitant. We all remember the Adobe story. However, what one might do (as a purely theoretical possibility without any connection to our current topic) is releasing such a thing anonymously from an obscure African internet cafe server. It would just be there for people to use.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:20 PM   #130
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Speaking for a moment with my moderator's hat on, please remember that we do NOT associate ourselves in any way, shape, or form, with illegal DRM-cracking tools here on MobiPocket. We've always been very, very strict about that. It could get us shut down.

This tool of igorsk's is clearly not a DRM-circumvention tool, but a tool which permitted one to add additional PIDs to a MobiPocket file would be, because it would allow anyone to read any Mobi book on their Mobi device by adding their own device PID to the file.

MobiPocket have shown in the past that their lawyers will come down like the proverbial ton of bricks on anyone who attempts to circumvent Mobi DRM.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:21 PM   #131
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpgliss View Post

The DRM is part of what is being bought and of you do not agree, do not buy it.

By and large understood by people since they by and large do not buy e-books, and in the rare cases they do as opposed to print, they prefer non-drm to drm by a large margin.

As mentioned before, everyone is welcome to sell their drm books, but they should not be surprised if there are few takers.
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 02:37 PM   #132
reak

Quote:
Speaking for a moment with my moderator's hat on, please remember that we do NOT associate ourselves in any way, shape, or form, with illegal DRM-cracking tools here on MobiPocket. We've always been very, very strict about that. It could get us shut down.
Of course, I understand that and I've read other posts of yours written from under that hat so I know the rules of this forum. One thing to keep in mind, however, is that whatever public policy is there, it must at the end of the day be beneficial to the society at large. I believe that the DRM-based model of compensation for the authours and publishers is very poor at both protecting their interests and at being beneficial to the society. So the sooner it crumbles, the better. I have no doubt that in 20 year's time at most, DRM distribution will be no more than a distant memory of a stone age period in digital history.

Quote:
This tool of igorsk's is clearly not a DRM-circumvention tool, but a tool which permitted one to add arbitrary numbers of additional PIDs to a MobiPocket file would be!
Exactly. No need to release it here.

Last edited by reak; 12-14-2007 at 02:43 PM.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:31 PM   #133
marieclaire
marieclaire began at the beginning.

Device: kindle

Last edited by marieclaire; 12-16-2007 at 06:34 PM.
marieclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 05:38 PM   #134
mrkai
Bit Wrangler
mrkai has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mrkai has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mrkai has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mrkai has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mrkai has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I beg to differ...

Quote:
This tool of igorsk's is clearly not a DRM-circumvention tool,
...because clearly, it is
I believe what your meant to say was "is clearly not a DRM decryption tool"

mrkai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 05:40 PM   #135
mrkai
Bit Wrangler
mrkai has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mrkai has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mrkai has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mrkai has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mrkai has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I overslept yesterday...

Quote:
Well? What did they say?
...and was quite busy today. Its #1 on my Monday morning list however.
mrkai is offline   Reply With Quote