Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-01-2023, 08:46 AM   #121
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_swann80 View Post
36 of 50 book target thus far. I'm not going to make it, but I've loved the attempt.
Hopefully you've enjoyed the 36. Challenges are all well and good, but quality > quantity any day.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 05:25 PM   #122
CAFlanny
Connoisseur
CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour, Kobo Libra H20, Meebook P78 Pro, Kindles
Goals for 2023:
  • Books read: 67/100
  • StoryGraph Challenge: 8/12

I'm behind on both goals, but I hope to finish the StoryGraph challenge, at least. This is the second year in a row that I have tried, unsuccessfully, to read 100 books. I'm thinking next year to go by pages read, instead.
CAFlanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2023, 07:52 PM   #123
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
The more I think about it going by pages read and not books read for 2024 sounds like a good idea. I have a few large books I want to tackle but been avoiding because of the length. Mainly Stephen King. Revival is over 700 pages and is on my TBR list. Also a few fantasy novels that are huge. I still have to read the last few books in the Dune Series
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 08:54 PM   #124
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
That's the main reason I like to use a page goal instead of a book goal. Some years I read really long books, some years I read a lot of short stories. I don't want my goal to influence the length of book I read.

If I have an additional goal that is qualitative, like "xx% non-American authors", that's fine, but not my generic "keep reading" goal.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 03:00 AM   #125
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Well on track to meet my TSG goals of 217 books and 67,000 pages this year, but most pleased that Im now just 2 books away from my goal of 26 nonfiction books for the year. I wanted to make sure that I read at least 10% NF, 26 will be 12%, a comfortable success
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2023, 09:24 AM   #126
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Well on track to meet my TSG goals of 217 books and 67,000 pages this year, but most pleased that Im now just 2 books away from my goal of 26 nonfiction books for the year. I wanted to make sure that I read at least 10% NF, 26 will be 12%, a comfortable success
Nice!

I just went to go check, and though it was not a goal, I'm at 17% nonfiction. I had no idea.
Old 11-14-2023, 12:39 PM   #127
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
Nice!

I just went to go check, and though it was not a goal, I'm at 17% nonfiction. I had no idea.
Awesome! I think I'll steal that for next year's goal - aim for 1 in 6 instead of 1 in 10
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 06:59 PM   #128
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I am reading The Priory of the Orange Tree. Over 800 pages I hope Ill get done by christmas lol
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 04:23 AM   #129
Quizlit
Enthusiast
Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle paperwhite 4
57 out of 60, been a lot of shortish books recently. Interesting idea about pages read because I have been avoiding a couple of long books on my reading list
And just for completeness, 0 Non fiction books this year!
Quizlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 07:21 AM   #130
rantanplan
Weirdo
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tolino Shine Color, Tolino Vision 6, Kobo Clara 2E, Boox Note Air 2+
I've just factored short books / novellas into my reading goal of 50 novels. I usually read about 1-2 books a month, depending on the length. Sanderson books usually take me longer than a month, except when I'm in a hurry because it's a library rent.
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 07:35 AM   #131
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
October: Bought 19, got 2 freebies, read 17, TBR up by four. And somewhere I've miscounted, because I now have 701 on my TBR.

Must do better.
Didn't do much better.

November: Bought 6, read 7, TBR down by one to 700.

An epic fantasy (747pp), a large collection of short stores (644pp) and an epic historical (1091pp) limited the number of books read this month.

One month to go! How are you doing on your challenges?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 03:24 PM   #132
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I completed my year's goals early, so just enjoying my bonus reading.

Now that it's December I'm deciding on my goals for next year in anticipation of the new challenge thread getting posted.

And, while everyone is doing that, don't forget to review what you've read this year for the annual Best of thread which generally gets started in mid-December.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 07:39 PM   #133
astrangerhere
Professor of Law

Goal Status through November:

Length Goals:
  • Total Books: 50 (stretch goal of 75) 98/50 - STRETCH GOAL EXCEEDED
  • Total Pages: 15,000 (stretch of 20,000) - 30,066/15,000 - STRETCH GOAL EXCEEDED
  • E-TBR Reduction: 25 - 50/25 - GOAL EXCEEDED
  • Read from Print-TBR: 10 - 31/10 - GOAL EXCEEDED

Substantive Goals:
  • Read at least 51% non-American authors - 50%/50% - On Target
  • Read more female/nonbinary authors than male - 70%/30% - On Target
  • Read at least 52 short stories - 41/52 - On Target
  • Read at least 10 books across all our collections that are selected by my wife. - 13/10 - GOAL EXCEEDED

Mobileread Users TBR Reduction Challenge at Storygraph:
  • Completed 12 of 12 books on my list! - GOAL MET
Old 12-02-2023, 08:25 PM   #134
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
November progress sees two goals met. It's unlikely I will meet any other goals, but will continue anyway. I'm just enjoying reading.

60 books: 60 Goal Met!!
20,000 pages: 20,884 Goal Met!!
6 books over 600 pages: 2
6 books from GR WantToRead: 1
Storygraph Mobile Reads Challenge: 9/12
Read 12 ebooks costing over $6: 8
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 08:57 PM   #135
Byrdie
Walking Library
Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle Paperwhite 5, 16 gb version
I'd honestly forgotten about the challenge, hadn't checked on it in awhile. Last year was just totally "blah" for me and so I came up short by 6 books. This year I am quite optimistic about finishing even though it is a much smaller goal. I am pleased to report I am 92% thru it and when I finish my current book I'll be done. No idea how much bonus count I'll end up with but can't complain. :-)
Byrdie is offline   Reply With Quote