Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: November 2011 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
This Perfect Day by Ira Levin 6 8.45%
Fuzzy Nation by John Scalzi 6 8.45%
Heaven by Jack Cohen and Ian Stewart 3 4.23%
Hyperion by Dan Simmons 11 15.49%
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley 6 8.45%
Dune by Frank Herbert 6 8.45%
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick 9 12.68%
Enders Game by Orson Scott Card 8 11.27%
A Canticle For Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller 12 16.90%
Halting State by Charles Stross 4 5.63%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-26-2011, 01:00 PM   #121
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I'm not sure why I feel this way, but I think it's great that so many books got so many votes!
It's due to the holiday season....your feelings that is...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:02 PM   #122
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
It's due to the holiday season....your feelings that is...
I had completely forgotten Halloween! Thanks for the reminder!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2011, 01:13 PM   #123
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Although both books have their own appeal, I choose A Canticle For Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller.

Happy reading!
Even though I voted for Hyperion, I like this choice as well.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:07 PM   #124
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Glad to see 'A Canticle for Leibowitz' as November's book club choice. First read it *many* years ago, re-read it at the beginning of this year and listened to the NPR radio adaptation this past summer. I may read it again, just so I can comment.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:15 PM   #125
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Glad to see 'A Canticle for Leibowitz' as November's book club choice. First read it *many* years ago, re-read it at the beginning of this year and listened to the NPR radio adaptation this past summer. I may read it again, just so I can comment.
Thanks for that link Jerry!
Advert
Old 10-26-2011, 04:53 PM   #126
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
I'm not sure why I feel this way, but I think it's great that so many books got so many votes!
I'm happy with the vote distribution as well. It does seem like more people voted their first choice.

Unfortunately for me, voting my 2nd choice would have been better...
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 05:05 PM   #127
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
It was actually a fair vote for a change and it actually shows. No more of "this will never win so I won't vote for it even though it is my choice" and no more of "so & so voted to X so I will too". Not a single book wasn't voted for.

This is the way to do it from now on (IMHO).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 05:13 PM   #128
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It was actually a fair vote for a change and it actually shows.
There was nothing remotely unfair about the prior system. You may prefer this one, but it's no fairer. Can we grow up and avoid playground terminology? Especially when "fair" can be deconstructed to mean, "my choices never seem to win, so I want to try something else."
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 05:40 PM   #129
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I missed the discussion about the books we voted on. I don't care if the votes are hidden or not, but I don't want us to stop discussing the books. I thought it was a lot less fun following this topic this time (even though there were some fun and entertaining posts about NOT discussing the books).
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:35 PM   #130
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'll say this for the Extra-Large Print edition of A Canticle For Leibowitz: They weren't kidding! Every time I switch from what else I'm reading to the Canticle, I have to re-size my font to the smallest possible size, and it's still huge—and I'm reading it with a pair of 61-year-old eyes!
Old 10-26-2011, 07:36 PM   #131
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Did everyone like the hidden vote? I kind of missed the campaigning, but the results were much closer!
Old 10-26-2011, 07:40 PM   #132
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Did everyone like the hidden vote? I kind of missed the campaigning, but the results were much closer!
Hidden vote I can live with. The lack of campaigning is big loss. That said, I'll deal with whatever the group decides.

Finally finding time to rejoin both clubs, so I hope to become an active member again.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:51 PM   #133
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
I loved it. The anticipation was exciting. I also enjoyed those who were hinting around what they had chosen. Plus, like you said, the votes were much closer.

All that in mind, I wouldn't do a blind vote every month.

I would suggest using it a couple times during the year. Specifically January: Wild Card and August: Free For All (any genre), due to the random, surprise nature of those months anyway, as well as one of the two Classic months so that we can have one with and one without.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:53 PM   #134
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
There was nothing remotely unfair about the prior system. You may prefer this one, but it's no fairer. Can we grow up and avoid playground terminology? Especially when "fair" can be deconstructed to mean, "my choices never seem to win, so I want to try something else."
Exactly!
Old 10-26-2011, 07:56 PM   #135
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
I missed the discussion about the books we voted on. I don't care if the votes are hidden or not, but I don't want us to stop discussing the books. I thought it was a lot less fun following this topic this time (even though there were some fun and entertaining posts about NOT discussing the books).
I agree completely. The whole point of a book club is to socialize discuss etc. If I want to just choose a book I can do that at Amazon.