Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: May 2011 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
1984 by George Orwell 22 24.72%
The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde 4 4.49%
Call of the Wild by Jack London 6 6.74%
Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy 23 25.84%
Personal Recollections of Joan of Arc by Mark Twain 4 4.49%
War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells 7 7.87%
Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra 4 4.49%
Riders of the Purple Sage by Zane Grey 8 8.99%
The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton 7 7.87%
The Diary of a Nobody by George Grossmith and Weedon Grossmith 4 4.49%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-26-2011, 09:21 AM   #121
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by siraks View Post
it'll be pilotbob with the tie breaker if it ends that way.
Reading is fundamental!
(It also helps to be able to spell "fundamental", but that's my personal problem!)

Thanks Siraks!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:53 AM   #122
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
The top 2 are tied, while some of the others make small gains...interesting...
What???? NO!!! It can't be! Come on ANNA!!!! YOU CAN DO IT!

You're way better than that silly Big Brother stuff....you are REAL!

Go Girl Go!!!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2011, 10:01 AM   #123
zespectre
BookMonkey
zespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: NOOK, iPod Touch, Asus Netbook
Quote:
silly Big Brother stuff....you are REAL!
ROTFLMAO!
zespectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:06 AM   #124
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Old 04-26-2011, 02:44 PM   #125
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I didn't vote although I have read 8 out of 10 of those books. Not any one I would rate as an exciting or memoriable read. I almost liked them but not quite.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2011, 02:46 PM   #126
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I didn't vote although I have read 8 out of 10 of those books. Not any one I would rate as an exciting or memoriable read. I almost liked them but not quite.
Which are the two you have not read, out of curiosity?
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 02:57 PM   #127
bobertson
bobertson began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Which are the two you have not read, out of curiosity?
I second that question.
Also, speakingtohe, if you don't mind me asking, do you have any favorite book(s) you could recommend? I'm curious to see which they would be if none of these strike you as memorable.
bobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:00 PM   #128
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
@ beppe - thank you for your posts on Anna Karenina. I decided to read the book and listen to the audio.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Beppe, thank you for that thoughtful comment.

I started reading it last night, but my eyestrain only let me read for a little while. It is 5400+ pages on my iPad with giant font. But the book that I finished yesterday was 4000+, so that is not as daunting as you guys lead me to think it would be.

I am going into this thing expecting to read a good book. If I find something deeper, then that will be a bonus. I am very intimidated by Russian lit, so reading and internalizing this is a personal challenge.
I started the book and also downloaded the librivox audio, so I could listen while doing the work commute, housework, yard work, etc.. I found I could follow and be "in" the story better when I listened to it. So, I will continue to do both, although I am tempted to just listen to it.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:06 PM   #129
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
But in seriousness, I've just never gotten Russian lit. That is why I am anxious to read this one and overcome my apprehension with a group.
Give that this is Tolstoy, you may never get it. I read The Brothers Karamazov and found it to be heavy going and not enjoyable at all.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:09 PM   #130
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
What???? NO!!! It can't be! Come on ANNA!!!! YOU CAN DO IT!

You're way better than that silly Big Brother stuff....you are REAL!

Go Girl Go!!!
Actually, it's all fake. That's what fiction is. Sorry to have to burst your bubble. But POP!
Old 04-26-2011, 03:42 PM   #131
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobertson View Post
I second that question.
Also, speakingtohe, if you don't mind me asking, do you have any favorite book(s) you could recommend? I'm curious to see which they would be if none of these strike you as memorable.
I agree. To have such a variety of classics as this month's book club list, and then to lump eight of the ten of them into "not exciting or memorable" and "did not quite like them" seems rather harsh and generalising.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:05 PM   #132
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
I agree. To have such a variety of classics as this month's book club list, and then to lump eight of the ten of them into "not exciting or memorable" and "did not quite like them" seems rather harsh and generalising.
And just plain wrong, IMO. At least a couple of these books (DQ and AK) are seminal. You can't just dismiss them. As for the selection in totality, it's got something for almost any taste: romance, fantasy, humor, dystopia, adventure, western.... If nothing at all appeals, then it says more about the poster than the ballot.

I've read all but one (Purple Sage, and I'd gladly give it a try if it wins). I admit I have no interest in a re-read of Call of the Wild, War of the Worlds, or 1984, because they aren't my kind of thing. The rest I think are highly readable and I could only benefit form a reread, especially of the aforementioned Anna K or Don Q.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:55 PM   #133
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'm already reading 1984 now so if it wins - all the better for me.
I have put Anna Karenina on my "Must Eventually Read" (MER) list though.

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:15 PM   #134
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I'll put Anna Karenina in the if I am ever having trouble sleeping list.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:23 PM   #135
kennyc

Uh-oh! A tie .. Come on Anna!