Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: March 2010 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers? by Mary Roach 14 18.42%
The Omnivore's Delimma by Michael Pollan 2 2.63%
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot 3 3.95%
Quirkology: How We Discover the Big Truths in Small Things by Richard Wiseman 10 13.16%
American Notes by Charles Dickens 7 9.21%
A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn 8 10.53%
A History of Western Philosophy by Bertrand Russell 4 5.26%
The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America by Erik Larson 14 18.42%
The World Without Us by Alan Weisman 2 2.63%
On the Origin of Species by Charles Darwin 3 3.95%
The Stranger Beside Me by Anne Rule 3 3.95%
The Greek Myths by Robert Graves 6 7.89%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-06-2010, 01:19 PM   #106
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Um... look at the my image capture of the poll:

BOb
For most of us, Bob, that appears to be saying that it'll close on the 3rd of September...
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:42 PM   #107
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
For most of us, Bob, that appears to be saying that it'll close on the 3rd of September...

I'll wait until this date and time (see attachment) and see which one I'd like to give my vote to
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Skærmbillede 2010-03-06 kl. 19.39.48.png
Views:	310
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	47361  
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2010, 02:23 PM   #108
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I think you know better.

Of course, it's not my fault that the forum software doesn't properly localize the date display on a print screen.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 04:02 PM   #109
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HiSense A7 CC, Fire HD6, Kobo Libra2
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelC View Post
You might want to check out these two sets of excerpts. They are pretty representative of the book as a whole (one of them includes the roasting pan reference so you can get the whole context).

http://www.maryroach.net/stiffExcerpts.html

http://www.bookbrowse.com/excerpts/i...ok_number=1230

This should give you a better idea if the book is for you.

Mel
Tuff call for me if it wins, as I can tell from the excerpts that it would be a roller coaster read between laughing and wincing.

I appreciate Roach's take on death/dying/cadavers, just would rather not consider the detailed handling of body parts.

Think I may go for the new biography of Wille Mays if Stiff wins! I will read the post-read posts though.
d
CharlieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 04:38 PM   #110
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I think you know better.

Of course, it's not my fault that the forum software doesn't properly localize the date display on a print screen.

BOb
And it's not your fault the UK types get the date format wrong.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2010, 04:44 PM   #111
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And it's not your fault the UK types get the date format wrong.
UK and most of the rest of the world. Who else but North America use that weird date format?

'UK types' indeed... Please. You're not quite up to date, mate.

Last edited by Ea; 03-06-2010 at 04:49 PM.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:53 PM   #112
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
UK and most of the rest of the world. Who else but North America use that weird date format?

'UK types' indeed... Please. You're not quite up to date, mate.
Actually, the best format is YYYY-MM-DD. That's how it's done for computers to be able to sort by date. And that's how it should be done worldwide. So really, no country does it correctly.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 04:57 PM   #113
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, the best format is YYYY-MM-DD. That's how it's done for computers to be able to sort by date. And that's how it should be done worldwide. So really, no country does it correctly.
I tend to use that in international settings, just so no-one, not even the USA types, get confused (hopefully).
Old 03-07-2010, 12:48 AM   #114
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Oh... Nooooooo! Stiff's a goner...

... and the other one is only available in America and Canada...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 03:22 AM   #115
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
At least no more votes for the opposition... That could change quickly overnight, though...

PLEASE vote for stiff!
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 04:57 AM   #116
seagull
Addict
seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Actually Diesel and Cyberread have it
seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 05:53 AM   #117
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Yeah, vote for any of the others. I'm not getting why that Devil is garnering votes. It sounds like one of the less interesting selections there to me. Maybe there is some trickery going on. I'm thinking we should be able to see who is voting for what. I call for open disclosure of voting.

Last edited by kennyc; 03-07-2010 at 09:12 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 05:57 AM   #118
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Yeah, vote for any of the others. I'm not getting why that Devil is garnering votes. It sounds like one of the less interesting selections there to me. Maybe there is some trickery going on. I'm thinking we should be able to see who is voting for what. I call for open disclosure of voting.
You can see it until you vote yourself.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:31 AM   #119
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
You can see it until you vote yourself.

Oh! Sorry. I guess the actual voters are there if you click on the total.

Ah I see. It's PB's fault!
Old 03-07-2010, 06:40 AM   #120
kennyc

And someone clue me in, what's with all the robot avatars, is this robot month or something???