Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 08:54 PM   #106
ebs
Zealot
ebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX
Both 1) and 2) already have a solution - my last page and timeout hacks.
Old 08-22-2009, 05:36 PM   #107
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD and H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs View Post
I think it was already mentioned in this thread - /etc/powerd.conf
In case it wasn't mentioned, one can open /etc/powerd.conf using usbnetworking and vi, change the timeout value, and reboot. It's working for me after changing to 3600 seconds on my Kindle DX.
Advert
Old 09-21-2009, 09:06 AM   #108
Bax
Bax began at the beginning.

Quote:
Hi ebs and thank you very much for the screensaver hack that uses the last displayed page as the screensaver when the Kindle DX goes into sleep mode.

After 2 tries I am unsuccessful in the install. I'm copying the one install .bin file to the Kindle DX root directory, ejecting the Kindle DX from my PC and choosing "Update Your Kindle". During the ensuing process I get a message saying "The update was NOT successful. Your Kindle is restarting". The log file generated says: "
install: screensaver-lp v0.03, Sat Sep 19 17:48:22 UTC 2009
/opt/amazon/ebook/lib/framework-impl.jar md5sum mismatch (5e639281b34f94e309ab4e7fede70c75), aborting...
"

Any suggestions on what I may be doing wrong are most appreciated. Is it correct that the one - and only - file to transfer to the Kindle DX root directory is "update_screensaver-lp_install.bin" and none of the other files that come from decompressing the .zg file that you posted?

Again, thank you in advance for any advice you can offer. This fix will really enhance my Kindle, which I am otherwise very happy with.
Old 09-26-2009, 04:32 PM   #109
chip273
chip273 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 with HSPA mod
Can someone please show mercy and tell me how to get anytype of access so that I can actually edit /etc/powerd.conf ?
I still have no Idea how I telnet the kindle2 ... (Networking is up)
Old 09-28-2009, 06:40 PM   #110
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Quote:
That's what I'm talkin' about. Plenty of solutions.
Advert
Old 10-13-2009, 03:03 AM   #111
Rancho210
Rancho210 began at the beginning.

Hello ebs,

I have a Kindle DX and I want to install update_screensaver_lp.bin to make the "last displayed page" become the screensaver display! (The last displayed page will have been a .pdf file.)

I expanded your handy .zip file above, but the .bin file won't "Update" successfully.

I get this error message in the resulting screensave-lp_install.log file (comes back from Kindle DX)..

install: screensaver-lp v0.03, Tue Oct 13 00:32:17 UTC 2009
/opt/amazon/ebook/lib/framework-impl.jar md5sum mismatch (5e639281b34f94e309ab4e7fede70c75), aborting...

Do you have a "better" version of this .bin file for my Kindle DX please???

I can handle .tar.gz compressed, or .zip compressed files... Spent the day on this...very comfortable with the USB transfers and attempted updates, but frustrated at lack of success.

Thanks (from Rancho210)

PS: I installed the update_sceensaver-timeout.bin file successfully! (But NOT the -k2.bin version!)

Many Thanks...
Old 10-13-2009, 03:15 AM   #112
Rancho210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax View Post
Hi ebs and thank you very much for the screensaver hack that uses the last displayed page as the screensaver when the Kindle DX goes into sleep mode.

After 2 tries I am unsuccessful in the install. I'm copying the one install .bin file to the Kindle DX root directory, ejecting the Kindle DX from my PC and choosing "Update Your Kindle". During the ensuing process I get a message saying "The update was NOT successful. Your Kindle is restarting". The log file generated says: "
install: screensaver-lp v0.03, Sat Sep 19 17:48:22 UTC 2009
"

Any suggestions on what I may be doing wrong are most appreciated. Is it correct that the one - and only - file to transfer to the Kindle DX root directory is "update_screensaver-lp_install.bin" and none of the other files that come from decompressing the .zg file that you posted?

Again, thank you in advance for any advice you can offer. This fix will really enhance my Kindle, which I am otherwise very happy with.
HELLO BAX:

I have the Exact Same (unsuccessful) installation result--many tries. Same error code! This will be a great feature in my Kindle DX application. (I posted to ebs asking for help! He/she seems VERY good at this...

From RANCHO210
Old 10-13-2009, 03:27 AM   #113
Rancho210

Hello ebs,

I have a Kindle DX and I want to install update_screensaver_lp.bin to make the "last displayed page" become the screensaver display! (The last displayed page will have been a .pdf file.)

I expanded your handy .zip file above, but the .bin file won't "Update" successfully.

I get this error message in the resulting screensave-lp_install.log file (comes back from Kindle DX)..

I can handle .tar.gz compressed, or .zip compressed files... Spent the day on this...very comfortable with the USB transfers and attempted updates, but frustrated at lack of success.

Thanks (from Rancho210)

PS: I installed the update_sceensaver-timeout.bin file successfully! (But NOT the -k2.bin version!)

Many Thanks...
Old 10-14-2009, 01:32 AM   #114
Jagasian
Jagasian began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancho210 View Post
Hello ebs,

Thanks (from Rancho210)

Many Thanks...
What is the version of your Kindle's firmware? Apparently a new version was released recently for both the Kindle 2 and Kindle DX. If you have a newer firmware version, then maybe the screensaver mod doesn't work with that newer firmware version.

If that is the case, hopefully eps can release an updated version because it is a must-have mod for many people, including myself.
Old 10-17-2009, 02:35 AM   #115
Rancho210

Hello Jagasian and ebs,

My Kindle DX Version is 2.1.1 (351050064) from the bottom of the Settings Page. This is a recently purchased refurbished unit direct from Amazon.

Hope this helps. Also...note that the "error" message from the unsuccessful Update involves a .jar md5sum mismatch. I hope a solution can be found because this is a very desirable modification to the Kindle DX in my application.

Regards,

Rancho210
Old 10-19-2009, 06:10 PM   #116
picky-picasso
picky-picasso began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
All Hail ebs!

Definitely post any results from ebs, Rancho, for others of us with the newer firmware. I hope that the .jar md5sum error is one that needs a new .bin file to get past, since it would be criminal to harass ebs for this if we could have found the work-around on Google.

Can't wait to have this issue put to bed for me - received the device yesterday and when I saw the "screensaver" I immediately started searching for a way to get rid of it.

Massive thanks to ebs for solving a massive issue with the Kindle DX, and solving it elegantly - without removing any of the value of a low-power mode, yet adding all the value of behaving more like a book.

pp

Quote:
Hello ebs,

Thanks (from Rancho210)

Many Thanks...
Old 10-19-2009, 06:30 PM   #117
picky-picasso
picky-picasso began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by picky-picasso View Post
Definitely post any results from ebs, Rancho, for others of us with the newer firmware. I hope that the .jar md5sum error is one that needs a new .bin file to get past, since it would be criminal to harass ebs for this if we could have found the work-around on Google.

Can't wait to have this issue put to bed for me - received the device yesterday and when I saw the "screensaver" I immediately started searching for a way to get rid of it.

Massive thanks to ebs for solving a massive issue with the Kindle DX, and solving it elegantly - without removing any of the value of a low-power mode, yet adding all the value of behaving more like a book.

pp
A lil' more review, and it seems that the framework-impl.jar.bdiff file is the point. Perhaps that's updated on the newer firmware? Does anyone know a way to use the unix/linux installation procedure for a windows user?

Barring that, is there a way to a) change the firmware version to one that works with this modification or b) change the framework-impl.jar file on the system so that the checksum allows the installation to continue?

Thanks..

pp
Old 10-19-2009, 07:58 PM   #118
Rancho210

Picky-Picasso and ebs,

You might want to touch bases with ebs on this "fix" (I hate to call it a hack...:-).

I, too, would like to see this "fix" available on my Kindle DX (Last Page becomes Screensaver), but I have read some things on past blog entries that give me some pause.

1. It may be possible to "brick" the Kindle during a "fix". Too nice a system to do that to it.

2. If you load an older OS version into your Kindle, the newer OS version may just download via wireless from Amazon to replace it next time you "Update" (Assuming wireless is on).

3. I've read that Amazon may try to "block" useful "hacks" in their next OS Update. If that's true (and if that happens), we may be chasing an elusive goal by continuing to hack the updates (assuming someone is willing to continue to modify the hack).

SO...perhaps we should try to convince Amazon to include a "Last Page" screen saver function in a future (official) Amazon OS update?? It could be a selectable option perhaps.

This feature would be most useful (and might become even more popular?) if Kindle DX had this feature on it! My application won't tolerate a "bumped" button during use, hence the need for this feature.

Rancho210
Old 10-23-2009, 02:26 AM   #119
Jagasian
Jagasian began at the beginning.

Quote:
Hello Jagasian and ebs,

My Kindle DX Version is 2.1.1 (351050064) from the bottom of the Settings Page. This is a recently purchased refurbished unit direct from Amazon.

Hope this helps. Also...note that the "error" message from the unsuccessful Update involves a .jar md5sum mismatch. I hope a solution can be found because this is a very desirable modification to the Kindle DX in my application.

Regards,

Rancho210
Definitely a newer version of the firmware than the one running in my Kindle DX. I recommend trying to contact ebs to see if he will release an updated version of his mod.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:47 AM   #120
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Quote:
I have the "last page" hack. Where do I find the timeout hack? Thanks.
Closed Thread