Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-18-2009, 08:33 PM   #106
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
A Separate Peace by John Knowles. They made us read it in High School. Ugh, chapter after chapter of endless internal monologue with the main character agonizing over whether or not he consciously or unconsciously injured another student on purpose. With no satisfactory conclusion. And then the injured student, after somewhat recovering, dies in a freak accident.

Last edited by sirbruce; 03-18-2009 at 09:53 PM.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:51 PM   #107
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
A spererate peace is a great book!!
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2009, 12:55 AM   #108
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
The bible is the most boring book I've ever read.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:32 AM   #109
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoleon View Post
Gravity's Rainbow, by Thomas Pynchon. The uppity-ups in The New Yorker magazine sang the praises of this book to the skies, so I read it during college in the early 1970s, being an English major and all. All I remember now is sitting in the school library with this book in my hands, looking at the clock on the wall and marveling at how slow time was passing. A strange memory, because I can't even remember what the book was about, and I'll be damned if I'm going to google it at this stage in my life...

"A screaming comes across the sky" -- great opening.

"Bureaucratic smega" -- a great descriptor from the book.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:31 PM   #110
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
For me, the top of the list of "most boring books" would have to be The Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan. (er... should the be bottom of the list?) I used it for an insomnia cure throughout Jr. High and High School. Two pages and I would drift off without fail.

Xenophon
There is a "Little Pilgrim's Progress" which turns Pilgrim into a youngish boy, along with the other names in the original. It's much more readable. It was done sometime after 1950 or so.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2009, 11:25 PM   #111
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Crime and Punishment for me. Could not get into it!

Perhaps you guys could benefit from this? http://www.wikihow.com/Read-a-Boring-Book
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:44 AM   #112
awi
Enthusiast
awi has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: 2x Irex Iliad V2, DR1000s & DR800sg
Lord of the Rings for me, could not get past 1/3 of the first book.....
awi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:50 PM   #113
cklammer
Zealot
cklammer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cklammer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cklammer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cklammer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cklammer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Palm Centro, Acer Aspire One
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
The bible is the most boring book I've ever read.
Come on, the Old Testament at least is full of action ....

Since my last post in this thread I have been giving the subject of "the most boring book I have read" some thought .... Instead of "War and Peace" I am now nominating "The Silmarillion" instead.
cklammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 12:30 PM   #114
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cklammer View Post
Come on, the Old Testament at least is full of action ....

Since my last post in this thread I have been giving the subject of "the most boring book I have read" some thought .... Instead of "War and Peace" I am now nominating "The Silmarillion" instead.
You have to be in the right "mindset" to read the Simarillion. If you read it expecting an "action" story like LOTR then I agree, you're in for a big disappointment. If you regard it, rather like the Old Testament, as being "background history" told in a rather "biblical" style, then it can be very enjoyable, taken in small doses. Certainly not a book to sit down and read from cover to cover.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 01:05 PM   #115
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Certainly not a book to sit down and read from cover to cover.
So, you're saying it's not a boring book if you don't read it like you would read a book.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 01:07 PM   #116
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
So, you're saying it's not a boring book if you don't read it like you would read a book.
Are you saying there's only one way to read a book?
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 01:08 PM   #117
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Are you saying there's only one way to read a book?
Did i say that?

BOb
Old 03-21-2009, 01:17 PM   #118
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, "... don't read it like you would read a book." imply that there's right and wrong ways to read a book. But okay, I'd agree that you're not saying there's only one way, just that what HarryT suggest is not the way a book is read.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:23 PM   #119
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Well, "... don't read it like you would read a book." imply that there's right and wrong ways to read a book. But okay, I'd agree that you're not saying there's only one way, just that what HarryT suggest is not the way a book is read.
Well.. "take it in small chunks and it is ok" really means... This is a damn boring book and can only be tolerated a few words at a time.

BOb
Old 03-21-2009, 01:28 PM   #120
Ea
Wizard

Nope. Just means it's too rich to be gobbled down in one go