Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-22-2014, 09:43 PM   #106
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I have 2 Kobo Glo's. They are wonderful.
I'll back that statement.

Plus, the Glo's have an internal SD card. They originally had a 2GB card, but a lot of the newer ones have a 4GB card. But, Kobo have not changed the image they use to use all of it. This can be done without to much hassle. Or you can pull it apart and replace the card with a larger one. I know people have put 16GB cards in. I don't remember if anyone has tried a 32GB.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:59 PM   #107
conan50
Fanatic
conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post

Plus, the Glo's have an internal SD card. They originally had a 2GB card, but a lot of the newer ones have a 4GB card. But, Kobo have not changed the image they use to use all of it. This can be done without to much hassle. Or you can pull it apart and replace the card with a larger one. I know people have put 16GB cards in. I don't remember if anyone has tried a 32GB.
Thanks. That really sounds like the e-ink reader I'm looking for :-)
conan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2014, 02:46 AM   #108
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan50 View Post
Amazon uses more ebook file types than anyone else: AZW, AZW3, PRC, Mobi, HTMLZ. I see no reason why they couldn't just use Epub.
Um... kinda wrong there...

AZW, PRC, & Mobi are all the same. HTMLZ is not an Amazon format. You mean Topaz and not many like it. Mobi, KF8, and PDF are about it. PDF is lousy on a 6" eInk screen even with a 1024x758 resolution screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 02:48 AM   #109
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
It is an excellent place for having a setting to toggle. But if it was one or the other, then since people seem to dislike it more than like it, Amazon has failed in their target of making a clean simple UI that appeals to the majority.
B&N clutter the nook STR's "desktop" with your store purchases and recommendations. It's horrible.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:55 AM   #110
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
B&N clutter the nook STR's "desktop" with your store purchases and recommendations. It's horrible.
By "desktop" I'm guessing you mean Home. Really it's not that ugly, but I hardly ever see it. When I turn on my NST, I'm usually in the book I'm reading, or in the Library -- there's never any real need to go to the Home screen at all.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2014, 02:57 AM   #111
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
By "desktop" I'm guessing you mean Home. Really it's not that ugly, but I hardly ever see it. When I turn on my NST, I'm usually in the book I'm reading, or in the Library -- there's never any real need to go to the Home screen at all.
Yes, i do mean the home screen. It really is that bad.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:58 AM   #112
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, i do mean the home screen. It really is that bad.
It is to you, obviously ... but, fortunately, you never have to see it. Problem solved.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:01 AM   #113
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
It is to you, obviously ... but, fortunately, you never have to see it. Problem solved.
Why do you never have to see it?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:15 AM   #114
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I do own a nook STR. So if I want to use it, I have to see it.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:37 AM   #115
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
I do own a nook STR. So if I want to use it, I have to see it.
No you don't. Shut down your NST while reading a book, when you turn it back on, you're back at the book. Shut it down on the Library screen, turn it back on and you're in the Library screen. Want to change your settings? Hit the Nook button and, unlike a Sony or a Kindle, you don't go to the Home Screen, you go get a Menu across the bottom of your NST, where you see a Settings button. Go there and change your settings, hit the Nook Button again, go back to the Library, or hit the little book symbol in the left, top corner and go directly back to the book you were reading. Or, if you turn off the Nook, when you turn it back on, you're still in the Settings Menu. There is no reason to go to your Home Screen, if you don't want to. (For those who don't have a Nook Simple Touch, when you hit the Nook button, you get five choices on the Menu, Home, Library, Shop, Search and Settings. The only way you go back to the Home Screen is by purposely selecting it.)

Last edited by rcentros; 06-23-2014 at 05:43 AM.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:38 AM   #116
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why do you never have to see it?
See my other post, responding to JSWolf.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:17 AM   #117
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post

I pulled one of mine open and there was a 4gb card in it. I wrote the image to and replaced it with a 16gb card. (Note, opening the device is not without risk! And since it has an SD card slot, the procedure is only for the adventurous.)
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:20 AM   #118
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
Quote:
JS you ought to think about rooting yours and putting on Nook Manager and Mantano. Add your fonts folder, and there you go. No need to ever go to the BN home screen.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:14 PM   #119
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
JS you ought to think about rooting yours and putting on Nook Manager and Mantano. Add your fonts folder, and there you go. No need to ever go to the BN home screen.
I look at the Library screen as the equivalent to the Kindle Home screen -- even in an unrooted Nook.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:54 AM   #120
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Um... kinda wrong there...

AZW, PRC, & Mobi are all the same. HTMLZ is not an Amazon format. You mean Topaz and not many like it. Mobi, KF8, and PDF are about it. PDF is lousy on a 6" eInk screen even with a 1024x758 resolution screen.
PDF is fine on a 6" e-ink screen as long as the PDF is sized for that screen. The screen on my Sony PRS-505 is 3.5" x 4.62" (5.75" diagonal) and the PDFs I format for my screen look great.

However, I do strongly agree with you about PDFs looking bad when it comes to large PDFs that are not sized for a 6" screen (such as taking a 8.5" x 11" PDF and displaying it on a 6" screen). Even when using reflow my experience has been unsatisfactory when viewing large size PDFs on my ereader.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote