Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 06-29-2010, 08:37 AM   #91
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
The 5 inch Sony is selling great and it is SO outclassed by the Pocket PRO it is almost sinful. BUT... it is successful and we are not.
Robert,

I have considered buying an Astak device (and have been waiting to see the 9-inch model) but I am also very reluctant to buy one. When I bought my Sony, I had 30 days to return it if it wasn't what I wanted. Amazon offers a 30-day return policy; B&N offers a 15-day return policy.

When I asked you about Astak's return policy because I would have to buy it sight unseen, your response was only if the unit is defective, in which case it will be replaced. There is no option to return a device that simply isn't satisfactory even though there is no way to go to a local store and check it out.

Consequently, although I may consider an Astak device, the reality is that it is highly unlikely that I will order one absent the ability to return it because it doesn't meet my needs. It is impossible to tell how a device feels when held and used until it is held and used, but with Astak, it is then too late.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 02:54 PM   #92
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Freeshadow, I like your thinking!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
smarty 'd right itd s pity there are so much ppl out there who simply (at first) don't mind about the tech-specs but are willing to complain when'its too late - as I believe to have already said, the problem are specific categories of buyers.
  • the uninformed (non tech-savvy)
  • the ignorant (stupid)

btw what is about freely available source-code from the factory?
since it's linux-based stuff, it should be accessible

even apart from that your devices are 1st choice for linux-users, because they don't user proprietary tech for connection being simply usb-storage accessible.

programmers use enough digi documentation to make a potentially interesting customer group - plus a lot of them might be tempted to tinker with the device itself.

if I'm pointing out things too obvious SORRY feel free to slap me around, it wasn't intended to be smartassed or something like that.
I just try to help out whit as much ideas I can squeeze out of my brain, because of the personal interest NOT to see a free device which I can use whitout trouble being endangerd by technically inferior and closed ones.

If I'm not, well maybe it'd be a good idea to wave some astaks in front of the noses of several Linux magazine's editors around the world.

as always with the best wishes on your quest Robert.
Dear Freeshadow:

Slap you around?? Why? We love you at Astak and appreciate your input!! Maybe we should try waving some EZ Reader Plus under the noses of Linux Magazine Editors. Word is that we are about 3-4 weeks at most from seeing the long-awaited "PLUS" with its incredible 16 level gray scale, unreal speed of page turns and loading, and ultra-light weight... and, of course, 20 formats!

Your brain is very kindhearted and I like kind-hearted people!! Never fear to state a post on here. You are a friend!!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2010, 03:14 PM   #93
Robertb
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Announcing return policy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Robert,

I have considered buying an Astak device (and have been waiting to see the 9-inch model) but I am also very reluctant to buy one. When I bought my Sony, I had 30 days to return it if it wasn't what I wanted. Amazon offers a 30-day return policy; B&N offers a 15-day return policy.

When I asked you about Astak's return policy because I would have to buy it sight unseen, your response was only if the unit is defective, in which case it will be replaced. There is no option to return a device that simply isn't satisfactory even though there is no way to go to a local store and check it out.

Consequently, although I may consider an Astak device, the reality is that it is highly unlikely that I will order one absent the ability to return it because it doesn't meet my needs. It is impossible to tell how a device feels when held and used until it is held and used, but with Astak, it is then too late.
Dear rhadin and all:

I have never really known that Astak had a Return Policy. Everybody that buys an Astak device seems to almost instantly fall in love with it. It is lite, fast, easy, powerful, full-featured and full-formatted! So, return for money back has not been a problem!

We DO, however, have a return policy and it is a good one: you have 14 days from the day of receiving the unit to call us and get an RMA number to send it back and get your money back. Allowing sometimes our International customers do not receive the unit for a week after we mail it... this becomes more like 21 days or so after we ship. So, it is a generous policy!

Rhadin: I apologize for NOT knowing about this sooner! Yes, I should have known. It is just that it never really came up. To me it seems almost impossible anyone would want to return it. You get SO much more with the Astak, including the free magnetic-clasp crush-resistant case and free earbuds and USB cable and AC charger and wrist leash and a screwdriver. The case is likely the equal of $49-$59 cases the others sell you. I bet most people are pleasantly SURPRISED when they open the box with the device.

So, please blame the mistake on me. It is not my only mistake ever. I just really believe in my product and how good it is! I do owe you a heartfelt apology!

Last edited by Robertb; 06-29-2010 at 03:35 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:33 PM   #94
Robertb

HEAPS of MP3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartyPants View Post
well i know i am trying my best to advertise Astak to everyone and anyone who would listen.. i got one for my mum.. i got a few ppl very interested when they saw me using it.
But its still a drop in an ocean compared to lots of 'the uninformed' out there.

Same as with iPod really. There are HEAPS of perhaps much better mp3 players available, but majority only know and use iPod. Which basically creates a monopoly in the market.

Dear Smarty:

Agree! It is kinda like me. I have an iPod. I have had it three years. It has good sound. I always hawk the MP3 stereo on the EZ Reader and PocketPRO. I did an ear-by-ear comparison using the most expensive noise cancelling headphones I could find (Audio-Technica) and the sound is superior on the Astak!! That ALWAYS draws a big YAWN!! Nobody cares. Me? I LOVE my MP3 and cram all my music onto my Pocket PRO. I even found a convertor so I can convert iTunes to MP3 and load it on my Pocket PRO. If I am flying... I am reading and listening!! But, I still draw that big yawn. I know nobody buys an EZ Reader to listen to music... but it IS a hell of a neat PLUS!!

I appreciate your efforts. I keep trying. Maybe when the PLUS is selling I can wake up some reviewers. The problem is most reviewers think three ways:

1. If it ain't a iPad it ain't worth reviewing.

2. If it is an eBook Reader and costs more than $149 it ain't worth reviewing.

3. If it ain't B&N, Amazon, or Sony... it is likely crap. AND... without wireless it just hasta be crap!

I read this morning where B&N lost some $31 MILLION on their eBook Readers and they are overjoyed! If I lose $5 I catch hell! This seems like a one-sided fight!
Old 07-05-2010, 10:48 PM   #95
jamina1
Connoisseur
jamina1 began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrowdy View Post
That's assuming the publishers get their heads out of their asses and lower prices on digital editions. But otherwise, I agree that it's a win-win for the consumer.
That's why I love the Astak - I can get books from anywhere, not have to deal with DRM OR pricing issues.

Can Amazon do that? no.
jamina1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2010, 05:03 PM   #96
Robertb

Why I love Astak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamina1 View Post
That's why I love the Astak - I can get books from anywhere, not have to deal with DRM OR pricing issues.

Can Amazon do that? no.
Dear jamina1:

Thank you! We also felt, from the very start, that the EZ Reader could have been called the "FREEDOM" because of all the formats, languages, features, colors, and ability to buy from 300 eBook Stores. So, I thank you very much for your post.

We did know, from the start, that our business model was very different from Amazon (and now Barnes and Noble). Both of these two wanted total control of the market. Buy their device and resign yourself to one format, one bookstore, one wirless destination, and the "All Seeing Eye". We set out to offer end users the right to make their own minds up and we hoped that people would rallye round our flag like frontiersman rallyed round Old Hickory Jackson during the War of 1812 and saved New Orleans and America!

Unfortunately, controlling the market seems to have won out as the business model.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:40 AM   #97
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

We did know, from the start, that our business model was very different from Amazon (and now Barnes and Noble). Both of these two wanted total control of the market. Buy their device and resign yourself to one format, one bookstore, one wirless destination, and the "All Seeing Eye". We set out to offer end users the right to make their own minds up and we hoped that people would rallye round our flag like frontiersman rallyed round Old Hickory Jackson during the War of 1812 and saved New Orleans and America!

Unfortunately, controlling the market seems to have won out as the business model.
Just in case there is anyone new to ereaders, the Nook isn't that bad. It supports EPub, so is probably just as "open" as the Astak. It even supports some formats/DRM that Astak doesn't.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:15 PM   #98
Robertb

Nook isn't that bad but

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Just in case there is anyone new to ereaders, the Nook isn't that bad. It supports EPub, so is probably just as "open" as the Astak. It even supports some formats/DRM that Astak doesn't.
Dear John:

For $149, the Nook is decent. The problem, I have heard is speed. Most reviewers say "agonizingly slow". It does support EPUB; but I keep hearing it is not exactly open to purchase from other sites. The Wi-Fi wireless is supposedly tied to just B&N.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:52 PM   #99
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
... It does support EPUB; but I keep hearing it is not exactly open to purchase from other sites. ...
What exactly did you hear? Doesn't the Nook work just like the Astak?

for EPub DRM purchases from sites other then B&N, I believe the Nook works like:

1) you authorize the Nook/Astak device once using ADE
2) you download your purchase using ADE
3) you transfer the epub to the device

I just assumed that was how the Nook and Astak devices worked?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:03 PM   #100
Robertb

Nook and Astak Devices

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
What exactly did you hear? Doesn't the Nook work just like the Astak?

for EPub DRM purchases from sites other then B&N, I believe the Nook works like:

1) you authorize the Nook/Astak device once using ADE
2) you download your purchase using ADE
3) you transfer the epub to the device

I just assumed that was how the Nook and Astak devices worked?
Dear John F:

I am not supposed to talk down any other device here so I need curtail my comments. The Nook $149 uses Wi-Fi, meaning it has an elementary browser only, meaning it can go to one pre-set (by the factory) bookstore. This is only my understanding.

The Astak is not wireless and uses a USB cable to the computer. This meams you use a full-browser on the computer and can therefore buy from any eBook Store that uses Adobe Digital Editions for DRM OR you can go anywhere for FREE or non-DRM eBooks .
Old 07-07-2010, 05:30 PM   #101
Fincary
Fincary began at the beginning.

Device: Ebookwise-1150; Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro; Nook
I waited and waited for an EZ Reader Plus (I really wanted an 6" reader when I bought my 5" Pocked Pro) but pulled the trigger on on Nook Wifi when the price dropped.

The Nook does support EPUB including Adobe DRM EPUB...same as the Astak devices. Since you can convert all the non-drm formats that Astak reads to EPUB using Calibre, I would contend that the Nook is MORE open since it handles more DRM than the Astak devices. The Nook actually allows MORE choices in ebook stores since it will read any DRM that the Astak devices will read plus the Barnes & Noble DRM and the eReader DRM. The Nook is listed as a "compatible" device for books purchased on www.EZRead.com because of its Adobe DRM support.

The Nook may have been slow when it first came out, but with the current firmware it is just as fast as my Pocked Pro. The display on the Nook is great with no contrast problems. I'm able to pick between 3 different fonts in EPUB documents (the Pocket Pro will not let me change fonts in EPUBs.) Most importantly to me, the page numbers that appears every 1024 characters when reading an EPUB is put on a status bar at the bottom of the page instead of crammed on the right side margin where it overwrites words on my Astak device.

The Wifi is NOT totally locked to B&N. There is a "web browser (beta)" that will allow you to go to whatever site you type in. Surfing the web IS horrible, but since the Astak devices don't have any Wifi, there is no comparison between devices here. I didn't buy a device to surf the web, I bought a device on which to read books.

The Nook is heavier than the Astak devices, and it is noticeable. It isn't uncomfortably heavy, but the position of the page turn buttons made it feel awkward in my hands originally.

Navigation/sorting of your books on a Nook is plain AWFUL. The folder navigation of the Astak devices totally better. On the Nook, a lot of the library sorting features, coverflow, etc. are only available with books purchased from Barnes & Nobles. I dumped about 175 epubs into my Nook (in folders), and it just threw them in a single list sorted by title or author. Series books were scattered. It was pretty horrible to navigate to a book to read.

The Astak devices seem to be easier on the battery. With my reading patterns, I would charge my Pocket Pro about once a month. With the Nook, I'm about 1/2 way through a novel, and the battery is ticking down. I suspect that once I'm into 100% reading mode with it, I'll be charging the battery every two weeks or so. The nook came with a USB wall charger same as the Pocket Pro.

The Nook does NOT come with a case, so if you buy one add $30-$50 to the cost. I have a nice case for mine that I bought in the store for $30 that is far and away better then the one that came with my Pocket Pro.

Now, I'm a pretty tech savy guy, so I was able to "root" my Nook. It isn't as easy a process as, for example, changing my Astak Pocket Pro to the LBook firmware, but it wasn't very difficult either. Without the ability to root my Nook, I probably would have returned it to the store.

By rooting, I was able to eliminate the problem of it feeling awkward in my hands but switching the positions of the page forward and back buttons. Now I hold the Nook further up the side so it is more comfortable.

Rooting also gives you a new library management system, though it still isn't as easy as the folder nav of the Astak devices. The new system (used in conjunction with Calibre to sideload books) appends the series number and name to the title of the book. It also allows you to filter the list by tags that you have set in Calibre. Very easy to find a book in your list now.

I apologize for the novel here, but the misinformation in other posts got to me.

I really liked my 5" Pocket Pro. Now my daughter really likes it. I feel for Astak in this price drop. I think Astak has a really good product, and I would have paid $220-$230 for the 6" Plus months back when it was announced. Now? If they were even close in price (and the 6" Plus were available...) I would buy the Astak. But there is no way I could justify to myself the extra money over a Nook.
Fincary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:57 PM   #102
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Unhappy Groan! Sony just dropped their price.

Poor Astak.

Sony just announced that they were dropping prices to compete with the K and N

The little guy does not have a chance when the Gorillas play hardball
Many customers will not get past the price, to discover they are not locked to "the Company Store" or have to buy all the "accessories" that are standard on the EZReader.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:22 PM   #103
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fincary View Post
I'm able to pick between 3 different fonts in EPUB documents (the Pocket Pro will not let me change fonts in EPUBs.) Most importantly to me, the page numbers that appears every 1024 characters when reading an EPUB is put on a status bar at the bottom of the page instead of crammed on the right side margin where it overwrites words on my Astak device.
Quick question on changing the fonts, is that only with epubs bought from B&N or can you change the font with any drm'd epub you've bought anywhere?? (my understanding with epubs you can change the font by specifying it in the css file however this means liberating the epub). Perhaps the ability here is more to do with a later version of ADE rather than the specific reader itself.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:24 PM   #104
Fincary
Fincary began at the beginning.

Device: Ebookwise-1150; Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro; Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Quick question on changing the fonts, is that only with epubs bought from B&N or can you change the font with any drm'd epub you've bought anywhere?? (my understanding with epubs you can change the font by specifying it in the css file however this means liberating the epub). Perhaps the ability here is more to do with a later version of ADE rather than the specific reader itself.
I haven't bought a DRM epub yet, but I was able to change the font in the book samples that came with the Nook. There are three fonts installed that you can select; Amasis, Helvetica Neue, and Light Classic. Amasis and Helvetica are both comfortable reading fonts. The Light Classic font is too...whispy..for me. If you root the Nook I believe you can change them out. I don't see any place to edit/change css files, but I really haven't looked. I've never needed to do that with my Astak Pez either.
Fincary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:04 AM   #105
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fincary View Post
By rooting, I was able to eliminate the problem of it feeling awkward in my hands but switching the positions of the page forward and back buttons. Now I hold the Nook further up the side so it is more comfortable.

Rooting also gives you a new library management system, though it still isn't as easy as the folder nav of the Astak devices. The new system (used in conjunction with Calibre to sideload books) appends the series number and name to the title of the book. It also allows you to filter the list by tags that you have set in Calibre. Very easy to find a book in your list now.
I won't start trying explain just what rooting means to an Australian

However, I am guessing you mean you gained root access to the underlying linux operating system, yes?
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote