Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-11-2023, 06:59 AM   #91
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I sync a one way copy of almost user desktop files to server (on separate UPS and all the network gear is on UPS for server). Then if I'm going out with laptop I one way sync, updating from server files.

I then never change the Calibre library on laptop and any other individual files created / changed on laptop are copied direct to desktop workstation (and then get backed up from it later in the day).

I also do USB HDD backups of server, workstation and laptop.

I have a 2nd occasionally used workstation for SCSI scanner. It also occasionally gets a copy of the main workstation user files and any scanned images copied to main workstation. All 1Gbps ethernet cables.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 03:13 PM   #92
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I prefer multiple backups (external USB connected hard drive, NAS and cloud). I am now moving to using an encrypted .zip file for my cloud backups.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2023, 01:23 PM   #93
nabsltd
Evangelist
nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen), Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Unix mount points are in many ways a much better idea.
Which is why that's what I use in Windows when a file needs to appear local but is actually on a remote disk. Unlike actual *nix mounting, though, the only way to "unmount" on Windows is to remove the symlink that acts as the mount point.
nabsltd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 01:31 PM   #94
nabsltd
Evangelist
nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
If @Sweetpea is being very careful with not connecting from more than one calibre instance and has a good Internet connection, they might not see issues. OTOH, it's an unnecessary risk IMNSHO.
If you use OneDrive on a single computer and never touch the data in the cloud until you lose something local, you should be completely safe, because it's just a one-way backup to the cloud.

When you do lose something local (like editing an EPUB and saving it after deleting things that you can't recover), then the correct course of action is to download an older version from the cloud to a place outside of the Calibre library and then use Calibre to delete the wrongly-edited EPUB and then import the downloaded backup into the book record.
Old 11-13-2023, 04:13 PM   #95
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabsltd View Post
If you use OneDrive on a single computer and never touch the data in the cloud until you lose something local, you should be completely safe, because it's just a one-way backup to the cloud.

When you do lose something local (like editing an EPUB and saving it after deleting things that you can't recover), then the correct course of action is to download an older version from the cloud to a place outside of the Calibre library and then use Calibre to delete the wrongly-edited EPUB and then import the downloaded backup into the book record.
No need to do that, just drag the downloaded backup EPUB (e.g. from desktop) into the Book details panel and confirm you want to replace. Then delete the downloaded backup EPUB.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2023, 04:38 PM   #96
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

I don't have that problem. I have a library of the original eBooks. I then copy what I want to my active library and then edit from there. If I was to be done and delete the original ePub backup, I still have the original eBook.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 12:09 PM   #97
nabsltd
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
No need to do that, just drag the downloaded backup EPUB (e.g. from desktop) into the Book details panel and confirm you want to replace. Then delete the downloaded backup EPUB.
This is true, but a minor mouse miss can result in replacing an EPUB in a different book record. For users who have already made a mistake big enough to warrant the download of a backup, opening the metadata editor for the book record and deleting then adding might be safer.
Old 11-14-2023, 12:16 PM   #98
nabsltd
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have a library of the original eBooks.
The advantage to OneDrive backup is that you can pick the version that has all the changes you made to the book that were correct, right before you made the big mistake. No need to go all the way back to the original.

It's not common to need something like that if you are making relatively minor corrections to a commercial EPUB source, but if you are dealing with a PDF to EPUB conversion, or an OCR source, it might take many days to finish, so losing a large portion of that work would be very painful.
Old 11-14-2023, 12:36 PM   #99
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
This is true, but a minor mouse miss can result in replacing an EPUB in a different book record. For users who have already made a mistake big enough to warrant the download of a backup, opening the metadata editor for the book record and deleting then adding might be safer.
Read what I wrote

Quote:
. . . drag the downloaded backup EPUB (e.g. from desktop) into the Book details panel and confirm you want to replace.
It's as big as house

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-11-15 042551.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	236.4 KB
ID:	204696

And the confirm message informs the user of the precise consequences of proceeding.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 11-14-2023 at 01:49 PM.
Old 11-14-2023, 02:54 PM   #100
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Hard to place the ePub in a different book record when you are dropping it on the details pane since it is a large target and has a confirm message. If you miss and drop it on the library view, you are probably going to get the duplicate book message or add the book to your library as a new book.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 12:05 PM   #101
nabsltd
Evangelist

Quote:
It's as big as house
I did not know that you could drag to the book details panel, but I also don't have it visible all the time, so that may be why I never even tried it.
Old 11-15-2023, 04:44 PM   #102
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
I did not know that you could drag to the book details panel, but I also don't have it visible all the time, so that may be why I never even tried it.
Nor me.

Shift+Alt+D will toggle the Book details panel. All of the Layout panels have a show/hide shortcut toggle. I make use of the ones for Book details and Tag browser; and because I never need to hide it, I disabled the Search bar show/hide toggle.

An alternative to DnD into BD, is to copy the format file into the clipboard in your file manager (select, Ctrl+C), and then use calibre's Add->Add files to selected book records from clipboard option, which I've set to Alt+Shift+V… I have Ctrl+V set to Paste metadata from clipboard. This feature allows copy & paste of multiple files to a selected book… e.g. a cover and format file, or a single file into multiple books… e.g. a format template.

I avoid using modal dialogue boxes as much as I can.

No one knows or can remember every feature of calibre, not even Kovid. I got caught out yesterday because I'd forgotten what a mouse pointer can do when hovered over book list cell cloaked by an icon

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 11-15-2023 at 04:49 PM.