Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-29-2024, 08:43 AM   #91
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by viceant View Post
A thing I find bad with this device is its English dictionary. If you pinch a verb in its gerund, past or participle, it doesn't find it and you have to type its infinitive.

I whish I could have the dictionary from my Sony PRS-T1, Which was amazing: phrasal verbs, examples.... or have Wordreference in it
There are some discussion on third party dictionaries in the Pocketbook section of the forums.
chrisridd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 08:52 AM   #92
viceant
Addict
viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-t1, Boyue Likebook Plus (T80s), Boyue Likebook Mimas
Excuse me, but I'm typing in my phone and it's very confusing

Last edited by viceant; 01-29-2024 at 08:55 AM.
viceant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2024, 08:53 AM   #93
viceant
Addict
viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
There are some discussion on third party dictionaries in the Pocketbook section of the forums.
Ok, I'll take a look, thanks.
Old 01-29-2024, 04:43 PM   #94
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
A thing I find bad with this device is its English dictionary. If you pinch a verb in its gerund, past or participle, it doesn't find it and you have to type its infinitive.

I whish I could have the dictionary from my Sony PRS-T1, Which was amazing: phrasal verbs, examples.... or have Wordreference in it
You can install another English dictionary. I have not looked for one, but any that are available for KOReader can be (relatively) easily converted to PocketBook format.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 03:32 PM   #95
dmalinovsky
Enthusiast
dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad Color 3
Quote:
Make sure to have the last firmware update installed. Then you can open the dictionary list and install a morphology dictionary version — there's at least one like this, "English -> English Webster's 1913 v2".
It will also allow you to update installed dictionaries to have morphology added.
dmalinovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2024, 07:35 AM   #96
viceant
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmalinovsky View Post
Make sure to have the last firmware update installed. Then you can open the dictionary list and install a morphology dictionary version — there's at least one like this, "English -> English Webster's 1913 v2".
It will also allow you to update installed dictionaries to have morphology added.
Thanks. I installed Webster's morphology dictionary, but it still doesn't show the verb's meaning, but that of the tense (gerund, for example)
Old 01-31-2024, 11:17 AM   #97
dmalinovsky
Enthusiast
dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad Color 3
Quote:
Thanks. I installed Webster's morphology dictionary, but it still doesn't show the verb's meaning, but that of the tense (gerund, for example)
Yes, it's supposed to be working according to the release notes, but it doesn't. I suggest asking Pocketbook support, they answer within one business day, maybe they can shed some light on this.

Here's the release notes for older Pocketbook Inkpad Color with mention of morphological dictionaries: https://support.pocketbook-int.com/f..._PB_741_EN.pdf

Inkpad Color 3 also has the same features, but I couldn't find the old release notes for it.
dmalinovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 10:50 AM   #98
viceant
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmalinovsky View Post
Yes, it's supposed to be working according to the release notes, but it doesn't. I suggest asking Pocketbook support, they answer within one business day, maybe they can shed some light on this
They answered and want me to make a video and send them. I'll do.
Old 02-03-2024, 01:08 PM   #99
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
I'm ready for my close-up, Mr. DeMille.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 02:14 AM   #100
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
It'd be interesting to hear their reply.

If Pocketbook improves their dictionaries to use morphology for several languages it might become a viable option for me.
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 10:19 AM   #101
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Their dictionary infrastructure supported morphology from the beginning. However, the rules had to be added to each dictionary when they were being compiled. The hard part was making up the rules for each language. The easy part is that the same rules could be applied to every dictionary with definitions for that language. Perhaps they modified their infrastructure to provide the morphology rules from outside the dictionary, which would improve the usage of dictionaries that were compiled without the morphology rules. This would be helpful because very few of the dictionary compilers of the past made the substantial effort to add rules.

Last edited by rkomar; 02-04-2024 at 10:43 AM.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 10:12 AM   #102
viceant
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandwo View Post
It'd be interesting to hear their reply.

If Pocketbook improves their dictionaries to use morphology for several languages it might become a viable option for me.
This is what they answered in response to the video:

"The first word you chose is "wrote" - past participle, it's "write" and that's what the dictionary says.
The same result for "tried" and "try"."

Maybe I should have chosen a gerund. I wanted the dictionary show the meaning of the verb, not which was its tense

Edit: this was the video. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B6U...w?usp=drivesdk If I look for those words by using the English -Spanish dictionary, it shows the meaning of the verb and the meaning of the participle if it's the case.

Last edited by viceant; 02-05-2024 at 11:14 AM.
Old 02-05-2024, 11:22 PM   #103
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
This is what they answered in response to the video:

"The first word you chose is "wrote" - past participle, it's "write" and that's what the dictionary says.
The same result for "tried" and "try"."

Maybe I should have chosen a gerund. I wanted the dictionary show the meaning of the verb, not which was its tense

Edit: this was the video. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B6U...w?usp=drivesdk If I look for those words by using the English -Spanish dictionary, it shows the meaning of the verb and the meaning of the participle if it's the case.
Maybe it's intended behaviour by the dictionary in question, i.e. it has an actual entry for "wrote", which provides this (to me useless) grammar information.

But when I talk about supporting morphology I mean it should automatically display the infinitive - so "wrote" should return the entry for "to write".

There's nothing worse than a dictionary that functions like that. "Oh, I wonder what 'blurby' means? Dictionary: 'having the quality of a blurb'." Why, thank you a lot - it's not like anyone using a monolingual dictionary could be expected to possess basic knowledge of grammar and logic, is it?
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 06:24 AM   #104
viceant
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I have it set to refresh every page. Still not always effective. That said, I am happy with it.

Also waiting for the 'case'. I assume it is just like Era's, which snaps into the slot on the back, and covers only the front. I think it was several months before I was able to get one for my Era.
Hello,
Finally I bought a cover that fits and is cheap. I only have used it fot two days, but I'm quite happy with it. It's a little heavy, but has magnets and feels sturdy.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKrt3GQ
Old 02-13-2024, 06:06 AM   #105
fre_
fre_ has learned how to read e-booksfre_ has learned how to read e-booksfre_ has learned how to read e-booksfre_ has learned how to read e-booksfre_ has learned how to read e-booksfre_ has learned how to read e-booksfre_ has learned how to read e-books

Device: pocketbook inkpad3 color2
I have this inkpad color 3 for two weeks now and I must say, what a relief after the inkpad color 2.

My first e-reader was the regular inkpad 3 (PB740). One of the better readers at the time, but sometimes slow. This has now become the property of my daughter and I was ready for a new device.

The condition was that it had to be a faster device. At first I was looking at the inkpad 4, but when I looked at the specs and reviews it didn't seem like much of an upgrade in terms of speed.

Enter inkpad color 2 in the summer of 2023. I don't actually need color, but I was willing to pay more if I had a faster device. The inkpad color 2 effectively has a faster CPU than the Inkpad 4, and I noticed that in general use.

So at first I was happy, but once I was really reading (just text), especially in bright environments, I noticed that I saw the pixels of the color layer, which is is only 100 ppi for the Color 2. I kept using this reader for months with the consolation that for once it was a faster device than anything else you could get at that time.

But it still bothered me: in bright environments (especially outside) I saw a clear screendoor effect, which clearly negatively affected the reading experience. I no longer loved my e-reader the way I did with my regular Inkpad 3.

When the sides (bezels) of my Inkpad Color 2 suddenly started to come loose, I was completely disappointed with the device. You could see the backlight shining through between the metal edge and the body. Moreover, at the same time I heard that the Inkpad Color 3 was suddenly on the market, with a pixel density of 150 ppi for the color layer.

I contacted Pocketbook to express my disappointment with the Inkpad Color 2 with the vain hope that I might be able to get a replacement in the form of the Color 3 (I would have paid an extra), but Pocketbook only wanted to accommodate me in the form of a repair that would leave me without an e-reader for weeks. They also informed me that the difference between the Color 2 and the Color 3 is barely visible. (screendoor effect)

Luckily I purchased my Inkpad Color 2 with Amazon. After contacting customer service, I was allowed to return my Color 2 six months after purchase and received a refund so that I could buy the Color 3 for the same amount.

How happy I am! I immediately tested the Inkpad Color 3 in a bright environment and thanks to the pixel density of 150 ppi instead of 100 ppi I no longer see any pixels at all. Finally I have an e-reader that I love again. It is fast AND has a good screen quality, just as my first reader.

Hopefully the sides of this device will not come loose, as was the case with the Color 2, because in terms of design they are identical devices.

I do not understand why the Inkpad Color 2 is still priced as high as the Inkpad Color 3 in many stores. The Color 2 inkpad is clearly inferior and should never have been produced if they knew that the Color 3 would follow so quickly. I can imagine that many buyers of the Color 2 now feel disappointed and feel cheated.
fre_ is offline   Reply With Quote