Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-26-2020, 07:49 AM   #91
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
I tried Georgia and Avenir are placed in the system folder usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts

These actions are no longer needed:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
  1. Open any kepub. It's as easy as that for users who only read kepubs.
  2. If you open a standard epub and you don't see the custom font you were expecting (in the GUI not the book's text)
    • Press the [Aa] font menu button. You don't need to do anything else, just close it again.
    • If you still don't see the font, force the Kobo to re-render by paging across a chapter file boundary, then page back again. Or, closing the book and opening a different one might work, too.
font is displayed immediately.

Checked on firmware 4.21

Actual for those who replace Avenir or Georgia, placing your font mnt/onboard/font/ folder.

Fonts can be replaced using kobopatch.

Last edited by Semwize; 05-26-2020 at 08:14 AM.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 08:35 AM   #92
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yeah, the Kobo QPA will attempt to open every font in there (and more) on startup, so this makes sense .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2020, 09:13 AM   #93
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
I tried Georgia and Avenir are placed in the system folder usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts

These actions are no longer needed:
font is displayed immediately.

Checked on firmware 4.21

Actual for those who replace Avenir or Georgia, placing your font mnt/onboard/font/ folder.

Fonts can be replaced using kobopatch.
I tried your suggestion on a KA1 with fw 4.21, but couldn't get it to work.

I used this as the 'files' section of kobopatch.yaml. Is there something obviously wrong with it? Obviously I removed the custom fonts from the user-accessible /fonts directory before I started.
[kobopatch.yaml code removed due to errors]

Last edited by jackie_w; 05-26-2020 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Erroneous code removed in case anyone tried to copy it
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 09:17 AM   #94
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@jackie_w: The second 'T' ought to be lowercase in "Trolltech" .

(EDIT: And, for future readers: case matters here (i.e., font filenames, too). This lives on a case-sensitive filesystem, unlike the USB partition).

Code:
┌─(ROOT@dahlia:pts/0)──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────(~)─┐
└─(0.32:23%:15:16:79%:#)── ls -lash /usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                ──(Tue, May 26)─┘
total 19M    
     3 drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root        3.0K May 23 23:06 .
     1 drwxr-xr-x    3 root     root        1.0K May 23 23:07 ..
   133 -rw-r--r--    1 root     root      132.9K May 14 14:15 Amasis-Bold.ttf
   149 -rw-r--r--    1 root     root      148.5K May 14 14:15 Amasis-BoldItalic.ttf
   150 -rw-r--r--    1 root     root      149.8K May 14 14:15 Amasis-Italic.ttf
   126 -rw-r--r--    1 root     root      125.6K May 14 14:15 Amasis.ttf
    33 -rw-r--r--    1 root     root       33.0K May 14 14:15 Avenir-Bold.ttf
    30 -rw-r--r--    1 root     root       29.2K May 14 14:15 Avenir-BoldItalic.ttf
    29 -rw-r--r--    1 root     root       28.5K May 14 14:15 Avenir-Italic.ttf
    32 -rw-r--r--    1 root     root       31.5K May 14 14:15 Avenir.ttf
   134 -rw-r--r--    1 root     root      133.1K May 14 14:15 Caecilia-Bold.ttf
   131 -rw-r--r--    1 root     root      130.8K May 14 14:15 Caecilia-BoldItalic.ttf
   133 -rw-r--r--    1 root     root      132.8K May 14 14:15 Caecilia-Italic.ttf
   147 -rw-r--r--    1 root     root      146.0K May 14 14:15 Caecilia.ttf
    33 -rw-r--r--    1 root     root       32.1K May 14 14:15 GillSans-Bold.ttf
    29 -rw-r--r--    1 root     root       28.6K May 14 14:15 GillSans-BoldItalic.ttf
    29 -rw-r--r--    1 root     root       28.1K May 14 14:15 GillSans-Italic.ttf
    33 -rw-r--r--    1 root     root       32.7K May 14 14:15 GillSans.ttf
     0 -rw-r--r--    1 root     root           0 Oct 13  2015 Gothic MB101.otf
  8472 -rw-r--r--    1 root     root        8.3M May 14 14:15 KBJ-TsukuMinPr6N-RB.ttf
  3811 -rw-r--r--    1 root     root        3.7M May 14 14:15 KBJ-UDKakugoPr6N-M.ttf
    48 -rw-r--r--    1 root     root       47.4K May 14 14:15 KoboNickel-Bold.ttf
    43 -rw-r--r--    1 root     root       42.1K May 14 14:15 KoboNickel-BoldItalic.ttf
    41 -rw-r--r--    1 root     root       40.1K May 14 14:15 KoboNickel-Italic.ttf
    46 -rw-r--r--    1 root     root       45.8K May 14 14:15 KoboNickel.ttf
    91 -rw-r--r--    1 root     root       90.3K May 14 14:15 Malabar-Bold.ttf
    82 -rw-r--r--    1 root     root       81.0K May 14 14:15 Malabar-BoldItalic.ttf
    85 -rw-r--r--    1 root     root       84.5K May 14 14:15 Malabar-Italic.ttf
    96 -rw-r--r--    1 root     root       95.3K May 14 14:15 Malabar.ttf
    26 -rw-r--r--    1 root     root       25.1K May 14 14:15 OpenDyslexic-Bold.otf
    49 -rw-r--r--    1 root     root       48.4K May 14 14:15 OpenDyslexic-BoldItalic.otf
    42 -rw-r--r--    1 root     root       41.5K May 14 14:15 OpenDyslexic-Italic.otf
    22 -rw-r--r--    1 root     root       21.1K May 14 14:15 OpenDyslexic-Regular.otf
     0 -rw-r--r--    1 root     root           0 Oct 13  2015 Ryumin.otf
    81 -rw-r--r--    1 root     root       80.1K May 14 14:15 georgia.ttf
    83 -rw-r--r--    1 root     root       82.4K May 14 14:15 georgiab.ttf
    72 -rw-r--r--    1 root     root       71.6K May 14 14:15 georgiai.ttf
    73 -rw-r--r--    1 root     root       72.7K May 14 14:15 georgiaz.ttf
  4523 -rw-r--r--    1 root     root        4.4M May 14 14:15 ub_arudjingxihei.ttf

Last edited by NiLuJe; 05-26-2020 at 09:20 AM.
Old 05-26-2020, 09:23 AM   #95
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@jackie_w: The second 'T' ought to be lowercase in "Trolltech" .
Unbelievable I blame Lockdown.
Advert
Old 05-26-2020, 09:24 AM   #96
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

kobopatch
Code:
files:

# Fonts
  src/adds/Fonts/AvenirNext-Bold.ttf: usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Avenir-Bold.ttf
  src/adds/Fonts/AvenirNext-BoldItalic.ttf: usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Avenir-BoldItalic.ttf
  src/adds/Fonts/AvenirNext-Italic.ttf: usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Avenir-Italic.ttf
  src/adds/Fonts/AvenirNext-Regular.ttf: usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Avenir.ttf
  src/adds/Fonts/georgia.ttf: usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/georgia.ttf
  src/adds/Fonts/georgiab.ttf: usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/georgiab.ttf
  src/adds/Fonts/georgiai.ttf: usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/georgiai.ttf
  src/adds/Fonts/georgiaz.ttf: usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/georgiaz.ttf

Last edited by Semwize; 05-26-2020 at 09:44 AM.
Old 05-26-2020, 09:45 AM   #97
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

@Semwize,

Good discovery! It works well when once I stopped being an idiot.

I'll have a think about how to change posts #1, #2 and the summary in #63 to reflect the new info.

Did you ever try this on earlier firmwares and, if so, what happened? I remember reading long ago that it didn't work, the encryption/obfuscation was mentioned. I just took this at face value and never actually tested it for myself.
Old 05-26-2020, 09:54 AM   #98
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

@NiLuJe,

Not being a Linux user I don't know how to interact directly with the Kobo file system. Is there some way I can remove the superfluous usr/local/TrollTech directory I just created in error? I know it's easy to add files but I'm not sure how to remove them. Luckily my KA1 is only a test device these days, so no real harm done.
Old 05-26-2020, 09:58 AM   #99
Semwize
Guru

Quote:
Did you ever try this on earlier firmwares and, if so, what happened? I remember reading long ago that it didn't work, the encryption/obfuscation was mentioned. I just took this at face value and never actually tested it for myself.
Of course I checked, and it did not work. But I did not check firmware 4.20. Just need to ask NiLuJe which version of the firmware this made possible.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:05 AM   #100
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Semwize: I wouldn't really know, I only noticed that when looking into something totally unrelated on a whim, and that was on 4.20 also .

@jackie_w: You could stick a rm -rf "/usr/local/TrollTech" in a NickelMenu command_spawn or command_output. (Taking care not to make a typo on this one, because that would be bad ^^).

(Alternatively, you can also let it lie, there should be enough of a buffer of free space available in there for quite a few stray files ).
Old 05-26-2020, 11:51 AM   #101
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@Semwize: I wouldn't really know, I only noticed that when looking into something totally unrelated on a whim, and that was on 4.20 also .

@jackie_w: You could stick a rm -rf "/usr/local/TrollTech" in a NickelMenu command_spawn or command_output. (Taking care not to make a typo on this one, because that would be bad ^^).

(Alternatively, you can also let it lie, there should be enough of a buffer of free space available in there for quite a few stray files ).
Hmm. Maybe I'll just leave it alone for now.

Speaking of space ... if someone tried to replace the 4 stock Georgia .ttf files with much bigger ttfs would you anticipate some level of risk?
Old 05-26-2020, 12:00 PM   #102
Semwize
Guru

Quote:
... if someone tried to replace the 4 stock Georgia .ttf files with much bigger ttfs
This is exactly what I did
Code:
AvenirNext-Bold.ttf	208248
AvenirNext-BoldItalic.ttf	163572
AvenirNext-Italic.ttf	162388
AvenirNext-Regular.ttf	225696
georgia.ttf	379588
georgiab.ttf	363800
georgiai.ttf	400624
georgiaz.ttf	385768
Old 05-26-2020, 12:13 PM   #103
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
This is exactly what I did
No, you missed my point. I meant MUCH bigger, e.g. Code2000 (8Mb) or ArialMSUnicode (23Mb)
Old 05-26-2020, 12:20 PM   #104
Semwize
Guru

Quote:
Code2000 (8Mb) or ArialMSUnicode (23Mb)
With a large set of glyphs. Need to check.

For a dictionary, not to use a patch to change? I would not do it. The menu is configured for Georgia and Avenir.

Last edited by Semwize; 05-26-2020 at 01:40 PM.
Old 05-26-2020, 02:32 PM   #105
NiLuJe
BLAM!

There's (currently) ~70MB of free space in the rootfs on a stock device, you have quite a bit of leeway .