Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-20-2017, 07:30 AM   #91
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
You forgot "Oh look shiny new ergonomic kindle"

Though your choice of the word gaming is intriguing.
And in a recent survey over 50% of Oasis buyers are very happy with their new kindle.
"Oh look, an overpriced very badly designed Kindle."

The Oasis is a mistake. It just is a bad design. It doesn't give what most people want as top end Kindle. What would have worked would have been a new Voyage with a 6.8" screen. That would have been a real update.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 08:01 AM   #92
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
As per usual, there's a glaring omission from your post Mr Wolf "IMHO". You can't really think you know better than Amazon what their customers want.... can you?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2017, 08:55 AM   #93
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuldog View Post
As per usual, there's a glaring omission from your post Mr Wolf "IMHO". You can't really think you know better than Amazon what their customers want.... can you?
Yes, I can. It's not difficult. There are ways to give everyone most of what they want. You just have to want to do it and Amazon doesn't want to do it.

This means maybe new hardware and major changes to the firmware.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:40 AM   #94
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes, I can. It's not difficult. There are ways to give everyone most of what they want. You just have to want to do it and Amazon doesn't want to do it.

You're right. Amazon doesn't give people what they want. That must be why they're such a minor player in the e-reader game
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 11:47 AM   #95
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:

Does this mean you are going to give me an awesome kitchen without much expense?
You said it is easy to give everyone what they want. So I can have new kitchen on your dime?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2017, 11:51 AM   #96
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Does this mean you are going to give me an awesome kitchen without much expense?
You said it is easy to give everyone what they want. So I can have new kitchen on your dime?
Only if you can find someone willing to put in a new kitchen for only a single dime.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:05 AM   #97
bob_obo
Enthusiast
bob_obo is an accomplished Snipe hunter.bob_obo is an accomplished Snipe hunter.bob_obo is an accomplished Snipe hunter.bob_obo is an accomplished Snipe hunter.bob_obo is an accomplished Snipe hunter.bob_obo is an accomplished Snipe hunter.bob_obo is an accomplished Snipe hunter.bob_obo is an accomplished Snipe hunter.bob_obo is an accomplished Snipe hunter.bob_obo is an accomplished Snipe hunter.bob_obo is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Clearly there isn't.

Quote:
"Oh look, an overpriced very badly designed Kindle."

The Oasis is a mistake. It just is a bad design. It doesn't give what most people want as top end Kindle. What would have worked would have been a new Voyage with a 6.8" screen. That would have been a real update.
So I must have been fooling myself for the last 9 months, thinking a more comfortable design was worth paying a premium for? Thanks for letting me know what I really think, Amazon were really pulling the wool over my eyes!
bob_obo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 07:52 AM   #98
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:

Can you tell me who DOES give everyone what they want? It's certainly not Kobo...they don't have any devices with buttons. (I've seen quite a few posts from people looking for buttons) They also don't have a way to sync books not purchased from them (another thing I've seen quite a few posts about)

Yes, they are very easily hackable, software wise, and there are many more options for displaying text, and they have more screen size options.

They still don't give everyone what they want.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 02:05 PM   #99
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Can you tell me who DOES give everyone what they want? It's certainly not Kobo...they don't have any devices with buttons. (I've seen quite a few posts from people looking for buttons) They also don't have a way to sync books not purchased from them (another thing I've seen quite a few posts about)

Yes, they are very easily hackable, software wise, and there are many more options for displaying text, and they have more screen size options.

They still don't give everyone what they want.

Shari
No Reader is perfect.The question is which Reader gives you most of what you want.
Old 01-24-2017, 05:40 AM   #100
bob_obo
Enthusiast
bob_obo is an accomplished Snipe hunter.bob_obo is an accomplished Snipe hunter.bob_obo is an accomplished Snipe hunter.bob_obo is an accomplished Snipe hunter.bob_obo is an accomplished Snipe hunter.bob_obo is an accomplished Snipe hunter.bob_obo is an accomplished Snipe hunter.bob_obo is an accomplished Snipe hunter.bob_obo is an accomplished Snipe hunter.bob_obo is an accomplished Snipe hunter.bob_obo is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
No Reader is perfect.The question is which Reader gives you most of what you want.
Yup, that's the Oasis for me. Would be nice if it was waterproofed and kept the light sensor from the Voyage, but its still a tangible upgrade.
bob_obo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 12:16 PM   #101
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I really liked the Oasis when I tried it out. The only improvements I wanted from it was more memory, buttons on both sides, and preferably a home button (like most tablets have). I'd settle for the memory (you can never have too much) and a home button on that wide expanse of bezel.

I don't know about the software. I didn't try it but library management seems the area most lacking in Amazon's readers that I have owned. The manage your content page on Amazon's web is just awful (especially after you are used to Calibre's beautiful design).
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote