Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-17-2013, 04:03 PM   #91
tlaine
Zealot
tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Mini; Kindle PW2
Mine must have arrived also then, I missed the mailman and he left a tag. I'll pick it up tomorrow.
tlaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:02 PM   #92
tls
Enthusiast
tls is a splendid one to beholdtls is a splendid one to beholdtls is a splendid one to beholdtls is a splendid one to beholdtls is a splendid one to beholdtls is a splendid one to beholdtls is a splendid one to beholdtls is a splendid one to beholdtls is a splendid one to beholdtls is a splendid one to beholdtls is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nexys 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
This is what worries me about buying online, and especially from WHSmith. I keep hoping John Lewis gets it as I know with their customer service I would be fine.
Yes, I am watching JL too, so if you see them get them in please ping me

In fairness, the guy at WHS was very good. He had no problems exchanging the unit and trying multiple devices - I dread to think what would have happened if I had bought from somewhere like PC World!

I have to say though that I was slightly disappointed by the device. Probably I was expecting too much Wow. The front is flat, yes - but it is like someone took a sheet of plastic and placed it on top of the recessed screen of the Glo. The plastic has the same kind of diffusion anti glare coating that an anti-glare iPad cover has. It still feels recessed due to the small shadows from the darker border even though the front is flat.

That said, lighting appeared to be more consistent than the Paperwhite and Glo, and I love the Aura's adjustable fonts, so I can live with the screen. I did almost buy a Glo on Gumtree for £40 when I got home though, as I could probably live with that too. I only didn't because I couldn't be bothered trailing across London to get it!
tls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2013, 05:04 PM   #93
neil74
Connoisseur
neil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kobo aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by tls View Post
bartveld, I am jealous!

activating instore I found that unfortunately the screen has a glowing pinprick of light about 1cm from the bottom and in the middle - must have been a flaw in the coating. WHS were kind enough to swap it for another, which had two pinpricks of light. They opened the two more they'd received in and they were the same.

Is yours OK?
This is what worries me, having gone through 3 paperwhites before settling on one that still was not perfect, not sure I fancy going through that again especially as I doubt whsmith's service will live up to Amazons.

Still I ordered one today so I guess I'll have to wait and see.
neil74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:10 PM   #94
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I have a fantasy---Kobo does not release the new devices until the FW is well and truly done. We're still seeing betas, btw, just got one tonight.
You're living in a dream-world.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:27 PM   #95
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil74 View Post
This is what worries me, having gone through 3 paperwhites before settling on one that still was not perfect, not sure I fancy going through that again especially as I doubt whsmith's service will live up to Amazons.

Still I ordered one today so I guess I'll have to wait and see.
Obviously it remains to be seen with the Aura 6", but pin pricks haven't seemed to be a significant issue with previous Kobo readers. When there was a few people with the problem, it did seem to be a batch that had the issue (i.e. all the devices at a given store had the problem) rather than a widespread issue. Likely you won't need to send it back.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2013, 09:20 PM   #96
mimosavj
Addict
mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, Nook HD+, Aura HD, Aura H2O v1, Libra 2
Hi

Thank you for all the great reviews. I'm tempted to get one too. Can anyone please list the fonts available on the Aura? I have a number of books in Vietnamese so I would like to read them without doing the calibre embedding/converting steps.

Thanks
mimosa
mimosavj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:38 PM   #97
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
You're living in a dream-world.
I said it was a fantasy. I'm glad to see that they are not releasing 2.9 for the older devices, though--hope for perfection still lives on
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:39 PM   #98
abcman123
abcman123 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
So I just received my Aura! On friday I was invoiced (without shipping info) and when I spoke to customer service on Monday night, I was told it hadn't shipped yet, which was obviously wrong since it showed up Tuesday morning.

Anyways, the device looks great, runs super quick, and I love the lighting. To be fair, I am coming from one of the original Kobos with the giant button on the bottom.

I have noticed that the Kobo is displaying some random paragraphs at a much smaller font than the rest of them. Has anyone else noticed this? I hope it gets sorted out in an update
abcman123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:39 PM   #99
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimosavj View Post
Hi
Thank you for all the great reviews. I'm tempted to get one too. Can anyone please list the fonts available on the Aura? I have a number of books in Vietnamese so I would like to read them without doing the calibre embedding/converting steps.
Thanks
mimosa
As long as you have a font that works with your Vietnamese books (which I assume you do if you were embedding them with Calibre), you can basically drag and drop it onto your Kobo and add it to the available fonts on your reader. There are directions on the forum here how to do that. No jailbreaking or anything very fancy to do it.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:50 PM   #100
mimosavj
Addict
mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, Nook HD+, Aura HD, Aura H2O v1, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
As long as you have a font that works with your Vietnamese books (which I assume you do if you were embedding them with Calibre), you can basically drag and drop it onto your Kobo and add it to the available fonts on your reader. There are directions on the forum here how to do that. No jailbreaking or anything very fancy to do it.
Wow, that sounds great! Thank you for the quick response. My VN ebooks don't have any embedded fonts since I use Sony PRS 650 with PRS+ and custom CSS which reference to my Vietnamese unicode fonts. My question is that if I drag & drop the unicode fonts to the Kobo Aura, can I use that font to read my VN ebooks which don't have embedded fonts?

Thank you.
mimosa
mimosavj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:50 PM   #101
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcman123 View Post
I have noticed that the Kobo is displaying some random paragraphs at a much smaller font than the rest of them. Has anyone else noticed this? I hope it gets sorted out in an update
This sounds like an issue with the book, and not the f/w.

Can you give us some info on the book please?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:53 PM   #102
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post

I have seen that issue on several books I purchased from Smashwords. It was most definitely poorly formatted epubs and not anything to do with any reader. So definitely look into the epub first as PeterT said.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:08 PM   #103
abcman123

Quote:

Interesting... The book is The Innovator's Dilemma, I bought it from Kobo's site so I would expect the format to be ok. It was the first book I opened up and I saw this right away. You do seem to be correct though, I opened another book and it looks fine.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:21 PM   #104
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Which version? I see multiple versions on the Canadian Kobo site?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:30 PM   #105
abcman123

Quote:
Which version? I see multiple versions on the Canadian Kobo site?
http://store.kobobooks.com/en-CA/ebo...ator-s-dilemma