Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-10-2011, 05:40 PM   #91
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^Inflation's evil. I remember when I could buy a bottle of coke for $0.25 and a dollar at the candy store was a pretty big bag of stuff.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:22 PM   #92
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If the problem is "rounded numbers", here's why:
  • when you give karma, the number you can give is determined by your own karma and time here and number of posts (I think...maybe some combination of two of those three, but one is your karma number)
  • people with lots of karma can give lots of karma (thus bumping newer folk to high numbers)
  • the number you can give is only the maximum you can give - you can modulate that number when you give
  • as you can modulate that number, you can look at someone's karma and give them a precise amount to give them a "round number"
  • a small, odd quirk in the karma-calculator says you can't give an odd number amount of karma, or is it even...I forget.

While I would never use definitive statements saying something has not been "hacked", the rounded numbers thing is easily explained by the above ability to modulate how much karma you give. It has often been an explicitly done thing when giving karma, as some of us are amused by "special" numbers (a non-decimal-pointed version of pi, for instance, or variations around a theme of "42").

But, yes, sockpuppets are banned immediately. It is also possible the person who created the sockpuppet will be banned immediately. The ModRoom has some tools of investigation available to it. Don't create sockpuppets.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2011, 06:36 PM   #93
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
The formula for karma power is this
(# of days registered/30) + (# of posts/40) + (Giver's present karma/200)
it is still in operation. It gives my karma punch exactly.

The deal is that you can't re-tap a given person until you've tapped three others, and you can only tap 10 times in 24 hours.

An underlying mechanism that somehow distort things is that when I receive a k for a neat/funny/helpful post, I thank the giver with a message but then I look out his/her posts to reciprocate at the first occasion. It comes naturally. To me at least. Then I might stay put for a while not bothering to k anybody. But there is a tendency to karma who karmas you. Now I am in a phase in which I like karming around. It is a rather loose thing. Or. There is somebody that I see close to a nice k level, so for me is a real pleasure to help him/her to get there. I can give more then 1 Mk in a day and 1Mk to a single person in 4 days. If I set my mind to it. It is not so stupid as it seems. He/she will make nicer and nicer posts under that stimulation. Nicer in the context of that particular thread. And of course the threads that we follow are the sexiest of all, otherwise we would be following other threads. Elementary, Watson.

Now the system looks a little inflated and distorted. But look, consider the k's you have received, by whom and why, and find your k-joy in that.

What I would like is that the power to be reset the karma of each of us to zero. At some point, like when one of us reaches 100,000,000 karma points. Just as an example. Or on the first of January, or whatever. And we all start all over again. With 100M kpoints my punch would be about 0.5M. Whow. A bomb. So what. A bomb by a lightweight like me does not compare with a snowflake from a heavily serious guy, that gives karma only in a week of Sundays. Of course, his/her karma is so preciously valuable. So green powers to be, listen to me. Put all the K's to zero. Right now. You men/girls of influence, listen to me, for once. Do the right thing.

Like if my K points would be put to zero, my punch would be 150, instead of about 100,000. And my friend, of which I do not disclose the name, that posts mostly smiles to new comers would have 658 instead of the 10000 he probably has now. But for me getting karma from him is a big honor, because he is wise and I value his appreciation very much.
So, all in all what matters is not so much how many K points we have accumulated but how many times we receive it and by whom, and for which reason.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:38 PM   #94
chris77586
Patent Pending
chris77586 can shake the floor when laughingchris77586 can shake the floor when laughingchris77586 can shake the floor when laughingchris77586 can shake the floor when laughingchris77586 can shake the floor when laughingchris77586 can shake the floor when laughingchris77586 can shake the floor when laughingchris77586 can shake the floor when laughingchris77586 can shake the floor when laughingchris77586 can shake the floor when laughingchris77586 can shake the floor when laughing

Device: prs 350
I dont see the connection between number of posts and karma. Maybe that particular person did something really helpful with one or two posts, haha.
chris77586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:44 PM   #95
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris77586 View Post
I dont see the connection between number of posts and karma. Maybe that particular person did something really helpful with one or two posts, haha.
Can you read?
Do you see the connection with the number of days registered? If yes, then is the factor right after that. If not, do not worry, it's all right.
Advert
Old 08-10-2011, 06:59 PM   #96
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
And of course the threads that we follow are the sexiest of all, otherwise we would be following other threads.
For sure, the sexier the thread, the better.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:02 PM   #97
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Huh. My karma button seems to be broken. Someone gave me lots of karma a couple weeks ago. The jump from 2400 or so to what it is now made me feel both ecstatic and guilty because I felt I hadn't truly earned that much. So last night I decided to try giving as much of it away as possible. The karma dialog box seems to work okay, but then my karma number doesn't go down and apparently the (attempted) recipients don't end up with the donation. Has anyone else experienced this lately, or know of an explanation?
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:07 PM   #98
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unboggling View Post
Huh. My karma button seems to be broken. Someone gave me lots of karma a couple weeks ago. The jump from 2400 or so to what it is now made me feel both ecstatic and guilty because I felt I hadn't truly earned that much. So last night I decided to try giving as much of it away as possible. The karma dialog box seems to work okay, but then my karma number doesn't go down and apparently the (attempted) recipients don't end up with the donation. Has anyone else experienced this lately, or know of an explanation?
Your karma doesn't decrease. Once it's given to you, it's there to stay. The karma you give out is separate. The amount you can give is partly based on your karma, but it's not subtracted from your karma.

Are you sure the others didn't have their karma increase when you give it?
Old 08-10-2011, 07:10 PM   #99
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Some of us have been trying to figure out why the amount of karma we give doesn't always add up. 0+2=1 (karma to anyone getting that reference).

@pdurrant: lol. It's just nice to see whom one has helped with a post. That's all karma is to me.
Gave someone karma earlier, and while I attempted to give them 801 points, to bump them to an even number, it only gave them 800.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:12 PM   #100
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Your karma doesn't decrease. Once it's given to you, it's there to stay. The karma you give out is separate. The amount you can give is partly based on your karma, but it's not subtracted from your karma.

Are you sure the others didn't have their karma increase when you give it?
Nope, not sure. One of my frequent bad assumptions, apparently.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:14 PM   #101
unboggling
Wizard

I'm still processing this. That it never decreases. Then how do you get rid of it? (Besides assuming a new identity…)

Edit: and I'd better stop thinking of "karmic burden" as merely a phrase...

Last edited by unboggling; 08-10-2011 at 07:17 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:18 PM   #102
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
Gave someone karma earlier, and while I attempted to give them 801 points, to bump them to an even number, it only gave them 800.
There is a thread I started in the feedback section about this. Apparently we can't give odd numbered karma out, although some how some people around here end up with odd karma, so go figure. But if you always use an even number under your limit, it should give them what you want.

Here's the link to that thread: Tallying Karma Points
Old 08-10-2011, 07:21 PM   #103
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Quote:
I'm still processing this. That it never decreases. Then how do you get rid of it? (Besides assuming a new identity…)

Edit: and I'd better stop thinking of "karmic burden" as merely a phrase...
You never get rid of it! It is with your user name forever, increasing anytime someone gives you more. I suppose "karmic burden" is a glass half empty way of looking at it.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:23 PM   #104
Ajax
Addict
Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4 Touch, Kindle Fire, HP Touchpad
Quote:
You don't get rid of it, once it's given to you it is yours.
Ajax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:25 PM   #105
beppe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
If the recipient has an even number of karma points, the result will remain even. Reason undisclosed. The same if it is an odd number, it remains odd. Usually.
It happened to me to day. I tried to bring a friend of mine to a nice sequence that would have matched the number of posts in the most brilliant way, and zot, the system took over. Blast. The worst was when the friend thanked me for the k, we were on the phone by then, and did not even noticed it. Double blast.

Quote:
Nope, not sure. One of my frequent bad assumptions, apparently.
My trick to check if everything is at it should be. I reload the page right after.