Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-18-2011, 02:57 AM   #91
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by captkjaneway View Post
Go have a look, have a play with them, see what books you can buy then decide. It's your eyes, hands and reading habits not ours

All this flaming and fanboy rubbish is bullcrap IMHO!
The OP lives in Nigeria and can NOT go and play with ANY of the readers!! This is the reason they asked here.

But it is true, there is no reason for that kind of war, as it only will make the OP very unsure instead of helping them to make their decision.

Is that fair?
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:00 AM   #92
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
Oh it's all in good fun. It's like people arguing over their favorite sports teams, which as it so happens are also corporations that couldn't care less about any of us.
Yeah it's fun, but there are 100's of other posts all doing the same thing - that is just plain tedious!

Sorry - I am ranting.......carry on........Nooks are crap so there!
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2011, 03:18 AM   #93
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by captkjaneway View Post
Yeah it's fun, but there are 100's of other posts all doing the same thing - that is just plain tedious!

Sorry - I am ranting.......carry on........Nooks are crap so there!
Heh. Product wars are a staple of any online enthusiast community. It's fun when it's civil. There's probably a breakfast cereal fan-site with heated Post vs. Kellogg debate. In fact most sites like this are practically fueled by constant debate about things that the people doing the arguing don't honestly care about.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:55 AM   #94
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Oh it's all in good fun. It's like people arguing over their favorite sports teams, which as it so happens are also corporations that couldn't care less about any of us.
Exactly i try to keep it in good fun but it easy to get too wrapped up in it though. But overall its all in good fun. Heck one of my favorite posters here is a kindle owner.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:07 AM   #95
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Quote:

Personally I've never even seen a Kindle commercial. I don't have cable. edit: yay I'm not the only one.
No cable here either. I bought the k3 due to its price (and a review or two of its improved screen) and the fact that 3 or 4 people I know and respect highly recommended it.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2011, 11:08 AM   #96
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
removed because it is not needed
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:43 PM   #97
Fortissimo
Connoisseur
Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Fortissimo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony Reader Touch Edition (PRS-650BC)
I just saw a video review on the prs-650. I noticed that in between page turns, the screen briefly flashes black. I guess this is normal and expected however, I'd like to know if there are any e-ink readers out there that don't do this.
Also, would someone point out a good case for the prs -650. I read the screen is really sensitive and a case is must.
Thanks.
Fortissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:45 PM   #98
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortissimo View Post
I just saw a video review on the prs-650. I noticed that in between page turns, the screen briefly flashes black. I guess this is normal and expected however, I'd like to know if there are any e-ink readers out there that don't do this.
Also, would someone point out a good case for the prs -650. I read the screen is really sensitive and a case is must.
Thanks.

that is SOP for eink readers. It's not bad now, you should have seen it even just a year ago
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:59 PM   #99
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Thanks.
This is either or...

Either you have the screen going black for a splitsecond

or you buy a TFTscreen device.

e-ink technologie is black when the page turns, but inbetween the turns nothing moves and thus it is nice to read and easy on your eyes.

TFT is loading the screen constantly, which your eyes do not "see" as it is done to fast to discern for them but straining the eyes nonetheless.

After five or ten minutes reading on your reader you wont notice the blackening anymore. And it is really fast, a hundred times faster than you'b be able to hand turn a page in a paperbook.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:32 PM   #100
brbubba
Connoisseur
brbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS350
Quote:
Thanks.
As stated, they all they do that. On the kindle when navigating menu's or areas that don't flash you can quickly see why they do the flash. The eink screens have a rather noticeable burn in effect akin to an etch a sketch that hasn't been fully shaken. Trust me, you want a flash between page turns or it would look like c*%p.

If the flash bothers you, make sure you get a reader with faster page turns!
brbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:47 PM   #101
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Transflective screens (like the Jetbook has - I think that's what the screen is called) don't have the flash, as Poppaea has mentioned. IMO, the e-ink screen seems easier to read from (they seem to me to have better contrast and a wider viewing range, from what I've seen in stores), but there are a lot of fans of transflective screens here, so if you really hate the black flash, you could try on of the devices by ectaco. I don't even notice the flash on my Sony reader, though, I think that in video's it seems a lot more noticeable than it is in real life.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:52 PM   #102
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
but lets be honest here, most people buy the kindle is because they think they are buying the most popular.
No cable here, either.

But actually, it was you who convinced me to buy a Kindle. I knew that if you liked the Nook so much, the Kindle would be the perfect reader for me!
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:20 AM   #103
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
-----

Last edited by jocampo; 01-19-2011 at 02:09 AM. Reason: duplicate
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:28 PM   #104
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
but then I remembered the power of sheep consumerism
Every time you say that, I picture young Indiana Jones at the beginning of "Last Crusade," separated from his group, alone in the desert, saying "Everyone's lost but me!"

For myself, we compared several readers, including the Nook, and found the Kindle won squarely on the features we wanted and on value/price.
Choosing the nook over the kindle would have been baaaad.

Last edited by ApK; 01-23-2011 at 02:56 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:40 PM   #105
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
There's probably a breakfast cereal fan-site with heated Post vs. Kellogg debate.
Oh please, like Post would stand a chance. "Pops" alone is enough to put Kellloggs's so far ahead of Post that's no one could even argue about it.

ApK is offline   Reply With Quote