Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-06-2023, 05:55 PM   #91
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I am with HLS, I am about to retire so I have a lot more time then most people. You can't compare. Besides for me to go through one hundred books in a year has never been unusall for me, sometimes if I am lucky 130

Approaching my second goal now, 100 books. I left the first goal posts in the dust at 55 in the dust.
I can never seem to get over 50 books a year
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 08:18 AM   #92
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Goal Status through July:

Length Goals:
  • Total Books: 50 (stretch goal of 75) 62/50 - GOAL EXCEEDED
  • Total Pages: 15,000 (stretch of 20,000) - 15,192/15,000 - GOAL EXCEEDED
  • E-TBR Reduction: 25 - 14/25 - On Target
  • Read from Print-TBR: 10 - 23/10 - GOAL EXCEEDED

Substantive Goals:
  • Read at least 51% non-American authors - 43%/57% - Off Target - 3% change in the right direction from last month!
  • Read more female/nonbinary authors than male - 72%/28% - On Target
  • Read at least 52 short stories - 26/52 - On Target
  • Read at least 10 books across all our collections that are selected by my wife. - 11/10 - GOAL EXCEEDED

Mobileread Users TBR Reduction Challenge at Storygraph:
  • Completed 9 of 12 books on my list!
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2023, 01:06 PM   #93
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If i streamed peacock and paramount and apple tv less i probably can read over a hundred a year lol
Old 08-28-2023, 03:03 AM   #94
Quizlit
Enthusiast
Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
I can never seem to get over 50 books a year
I also retired and thought I would read a lot more, but it didn't really happen, am pretty consistent around 60 a year and on track for that again in 2023
Quizlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 03:50 PM   #95
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Second "failure" of the year! Worryingly, I still don't regret any of the purchases. Perhaps the offers will slow down in August...
They didn't.

August: Bought 43, got 1 freebie, read 14. TBR up 30 to 698.

And worst of all, I still don't regret any of the purchases. They are all books by authors I like, and that I want to read. 43 books for £22.65, an average purchase price of just under 53p.

Well, I'm still five books down on the start of the year!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2023, 11:37 AM   #96
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
They didn't.

August: Bought 43, got 1 freebie, read 14. TBR up 30 to 698.

And worst of all, I still don't regret any of the purchases. They are all books by authors I like, and that I want to read. 43 books for £22.65, an average purchase price of just under 53p.

Well, I'm still five books down on the start of the year!
Shouldn't this be in the Ebook Buying Addicts' Support Thread

I can't imagine buying that many books in a month, unless I was getting like ALL of Poirot or Maigret or something. I used to hoard public domain material, but even that has slowed down for me.
Old 09-01-2023, 12:50 PM   #97
astrangerhere
Professor of Law

Goal Status through August:

Length Goals:
  • Total Books: 50 (stretch goal of 75) 66/50 - GOAL EXCEEDED
  • Total Pages: 15,000 (stretch of 20,000) - 15,192/15,000 - STRETCH GOAL EXCEEDED
  • E-TBR Reduction: 25 - 25/25 - GOAL MET
  • Read from Print-TBR: 10 - 23/10 - GOAL EXCEEDED

Substantive Goals:
  • Read at least 51% non-American authors - 42%/58% - Off Target - the short stories are killing me here
  • Read more female/nonbinary authors than male - 69%/21% - On Target
  • Read at least 52 short stories - 33/52 - On Target
  • Read at least 10 books across all our collections that are selected by my wife. - 11/10 - GOAL EXCEEDED

Mobileread Users TBR Reduction Challenge at Storygraph:
  • Completed 9 of 12 books on my list! - On Target
Old 09-01-2023, 01:52 PM   #98
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
Shouldn't this be in the Ebook Buying Addicts' Support Thread

I can't imagine buying that many books in a month, unless I was getting like ALL of Poirot or Maigret or something. I used to hoard public domain material, but even that has slowed down for me.
26 were in a Humble Bundle (most of two series by Seanan McGuire) and 8 were in an omnibus (Mrs Pargeter novels). Otherwise it would have been only(!) 9.

I did get 77 Agatha Christie books in one go back when they were on offer at Fictionwise in 2010... I only have five still to read.

I'm better than I was.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 10:12 PM   #99
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
For August, I'm at 47/60 books completed and 15,468/20,000 pages completed. 5/12 Storygraph challenge books done. My TBR is up a lot. A little guilt here as I added 2 new authors. Added 6 audiobooks and 29 ebooks.

Didn't get a lot of different titles completed since I spent most of the month on War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy. Finished today. Great historical fiction. Cancelled Audible again until November.

Last edited by Tarana; 09-01-2023 at 10:18 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 09:44 AM   #100
HLS
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
For August, I'm at 47/60 books completed and 15,468/20,000 pages completed. 5/12 Storygraph challenge books done. My TBR is up a lot. A little guilt here as I added 2 new authors. Added 6 audiobooks and 29 ebooks.

Didn't get a lot of different titles completed since I spent most of the month on War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy. Finished today. Great historical fiction. Cancelled Audible again until November.
I am at 42 books for the year. some I rushed through, skimmed, because they were overly wordy or boring. not sure if that counts as reading.
Old 09-15-2023, 03:29 PM   #101
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I no longer fret over numbers. I try to read regularly (daily) and these days its the best I can do, given that I need to sleep a lot more than I used to.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 10:33 PM   #102
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
My personal reading challenge for the year was to a lot LESS than last year, generallly, many fewer specifically (pedantically ) - so far so good. 454 last year, on track to come in around 210 this year. Very relaxing. My Storygraph Reads the World Challenge was done early, and the Mobilereads TBR reduction challenge there is on track, reading book 9 in month 9. Still need another 3 or 4 nonfiction books to reach my personal target of at least 10% nonfiction
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 09:31 AM   #103
HLS
Wizard

Yellowface is turning into a good book. I am pleasantly surprised. Stephen King liked it so I wonder if there is a supernatural twist somewhere down the line? Basically a woman and her college BF are writers and one is jealous of the others success. One dies and the other steals a manuscript and rewrites it to make it her own and becomes famous. Somewhere down the line her stealing the manuscript backfires. That is not a spoiler. its basically the description of the book you find online
Old 09-25-2023, 04:30 PM   #104
HLS
Wizard

I am reading Misery by Stephen King which made me think of this video

https://youtu.be/Uv7LwFPp3SY?si=zz3B91e25ESEGAwE
Old 10-01-2023, 02:02 PM   #105
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Doing well on some goals. Finished War and Peace! Loved it! My TBR reduction is a complete fail, so I'm not even going to list that. This is my progress through September.

60 books: 52 read
20,000 pages: 18,687
6 books over 600 pages: 2
6 books from GR WantToRead: 1
Storygraph Mobile Reads Challenge: 8/12
Read 12 ebooks costing over $6: 7
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote