Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-07-2011, 07:35 AM   #91
laure_f_o
laure_f_o began at the beginning.

Device: SNE-60
hello all,

I am also Spanish. I have an e60. Do you know what the differences are between 60 and 65?
Do you think the firmwares are interchangeables or at least is possible to copy some funtionalities from one to the other?

I bought a standard bag from http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.47048 that fits very well to my e60 and the price is amazing....

Saludos.
laure_f_o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:45 AM   #92
quedificil
quedificil began at the beginning.

Device: samsung e65
Looking at the QT code, the E65 can be used to send and receive email !!

I will compile the newest firmware to look if they have the email activated.
quedificil is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2011, 02:14 PM   #93
dogsballs
Zealot
dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony psr-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by quedificil View Post
Looking at the QT code, the E65 can be used to send and receive email !!

I will compile the newest firmware to look if they have the email activated.
that would be pretty amazing
dogsballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 05:53 AM   #94
Papi
Addict
Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT, PRS-650
Anyone successfully modified the Samsung E60 or E65 ? I recently purchased the E60 (49€ in France right now), great device especially for the price, but feel it could be improved with the following :
- selectable font
- more font sizes
- full web access
- adding dictionaries

I downloaded the open source part of the code, but I guess what I would like to change isn't in there. So if anyone modified the firmware and successfully upgraded the device with it, please post.
Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:08 PM   #95
lecteur
lecteur began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-t3, M92 broken screen, (formely samsung e60)
Hi,

I have bought also as at 49 euros in Carrefour in France this is amazing !
More or less the same points as you Papi. My main concern is about dictionaries. I develop below.
As I have not read this anywhere, the device was loaded with ~150 documents (books, level, french and english user manual).

Here in France, the initial configuration is with French-English and English-French dictionary. But I really need a French-French one and an English-English one to benefit of an e-reader.
Of course the choice should be available while clicking on a word.

So I wonder if some of you have imported other dictionaries and if usable as the ones first in ?
Also as there are some others linux devices, I think interesting to import their dictionaries in the E60 to see if they could be usable, any tries yet ?

The device is very good, the screen is nice, I like the precision of the pencil usage for the touch screen.
With a nice sunshine direcly on the screen no issue for reading neither without sunshine but of course enough light is needed as with books.
I miss wifi so could not try any options linked to it.

My first impression was that the device was a bit slow. Maybe I am too used to the quick response of my ubuntu but this was only an initial impression I find it quite good now but there are some potential improvements here.

Other main drawbacks :
- only 5 selectable fonts
- usage of pdf (with the trick of 90° rotation and "crop" pdf could ok but not far less than epub and word could not be selected to call dictionary. Worst the dictionary option is not in the direct menu )
- limited supported formats (I have only tryied free epub and no drm pdf for the moment)
- initial dictionaries available as mentioned before
- searching in documents : well I have downloaded and loaded a lot of free books. Unfortunately I have no success to use meta caracters such as * by example in a research. So I find the search helpless and quite paintful to find a book.

Good device, at 329euros at launch, it was really too much expensive but at 49 this is not the same !
Miss a protection for the device.

Also power load is only from usb which is not the most convenient, at least for me.
I have not fully discharge yet the battery but it seems not very long, 20h indicated, and after few hours it was from 3(fully loaded) to 2(middle load).
One experience I did is that, closing the usb connection between windows pc and E60 is not enough. I mean on the screen it says something as do not remove the power connection while the device is on but the formulation is more ambiguous.
After only disconnect the connection in windows once, I have been unable to reboot it with the on/off button. As it was charging before removing the usb cable, I power it again on the PC and wait until power was at 100%.
Then, only by removing baterry the device could reboot.

I need to update the firmware even if it is not clear for me as everybody it seems what it will bring.

Sorry to be long I hope some of the informations here could be useful to other.
lecteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2011, 01:14 PM   #96
silver84
silver84 began at the beginning.

Device: Archos 7 H.T. Archos 70 Samsung E60
Books on micro SD*card (ajouter des livres sur la carte micro SD)

Hello,

Finally I find how to add books on micro SD card :

Create a "Books" directory and add yours epub and pdf files inside.
(On the French manual they wrote to create a "Livres" directory its wrong, the names must be English : "Books"... ces arsouilles ont même traduit le nom du dossier !).

Hope this help (French peoples )

En effet, pour les Français, le TTS est une vraie misère, ça fonctionne pourtant très bien sous Android et le zoom est inexploitable
silver84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:24 PM   #97
Papi
Addict
Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT, PRS-650
Effectivement, le TTS n'est pas adapté à la langue française. Sur mon GPS, il existe un fichier qui indique grosso modo au synthétiseur vocal comment prononcer les phonèmes. Ca serait également une modification du firmware à apporter donc (enfin perso je me sers pas du TTS).
Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 03:36 PM   #98
dogsballs
Zealot
dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony psr-505
i think you can use an ipod usb mains socket for charging both are 5 volt. I have only plug the E65 into the ipod charger and the charge indicator on the E65 came on i didnt wait for it to fully charge but it should work
dogsballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 03:43 PM   #99
apk5
apk5 began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung E-60
no luck updating UK device

hey guys, i've tried updating the firmware for my british E60, with no luck. i've tried the french firmware, the italian firmware, and the korean firmware with using the magic number/hex editor trick

and still i get "no file exists"

is there maybe a different magic number or default filename for british firmware, different from other european firmwares?

thanks a lot to all the clever bods that are investigating this device btw, it's really appreciated
apk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 05:15 PM   #100
Squonk42
Squonk42 began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung E60
Bought an E60 today at "Carrefour" in France for 49 Euros... Great deal!
I'd like to recompile the software: I downloaded the "10_E60.zip" file, but there is no explanation on how do recompile the orignal firmware and how to install it on the device...
Any clue?
Squonk42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:41 AM   #101
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

Welcome to mobileread for you "first posters" ...

Stay and enjoy ... ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:12 AM   #102
FixB
Groupie
FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS500
I also bought this device in France with a really good price.
It's my thirs device (only Sonys before) and I dont'know yet which one I'll keep (PRS-505 or this one). I think the english-french dictionnary can tip my choice

Last edited by FixB; 01-17-2011 at 07:30 AM.
FixB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:08 AM   #103
ashraycure
ashraycure began at the beginning.

Hi,

I've just buy this device too, and i have a question :
I've been able to redirect the bookshop to an OPDS catalog hosted on my computer (goal is to replace the stock librairy without any filters option by an OPDS html catalog).

It's working (almost) fine, but when i want download an epub file hosted on my comptuer (using a link displayed in the OPDS catalog), it's just refreshing the page without downloading file.

Do you have a solution for epub downloading thru the reader?

Thanks in advance,
AshRayCure
ashraycure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:41 AM   #104
Deeheff
Deeheff began at the beginning.

Hello all, thanks for the warm welcome here
So, I also bought this nice ebook reader in France and I'm really happy 'cause it's been a while since I wanted to buy an ebook reader but the prices were too high for my wallet
Anyway, I saw that many people have been able to redirect the browser of the device with the ruby script described here, but as I'm a noob in this language, can anyone of you make a little tutorial with a step by step procedure?
Thanks a lot again, and long live the readers and the hackers of this beautiful ereader!
Deeheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:13 PM   #105
Squonk42
Squonk42 began at the beginning.

Post A small (maybe biased) Samsung E60 review

First for non-French readers in this thread, let me say that the E60 @ 49 Euros deal is only available in France: the device was sold 329 Euros back in July. Price has dropped drastically to 249 Euros in September, then to 149 Euros for Holidays. It is now the "soldes" (sales) period in France since last Wednesday, and there is a bargain price at 99 Euros at the "Carrefour" supermarkets. In the meantime, Samsung France is doing a special operation to refund 50 Euros if you buy either the E60 or E65 in January.

I don't know if I am the best person to speak on the E60: this is my first eBook reader so far, and I just have an iPhone 4 to compare to, so my opinion may be biased...

The screen is... surprising: at first look, I thought there was a plastic film on it What is very different from normal LCD or OLED screen is that it is really not shiny at all, and that it does not emit _any_ light at all! As an e-ink screen, it means that it does not consume power when there is a static display either. The drawback is that every time the screen is painted, there is a visible and annoying "flash", but I guess this is the same thing for a Kindle, is it?

The device is nice looking and is solidly built. I don't like much the sliding panel, I'd rather have a thiner device instead...

I don't want to buy DRM-clutered eBooks, but I have a lot of different documents in PDF formats (books, books with pictures, datasheets, manuals, etc.), and they all look great as is, if you make sure to turn them 90° (or better 270° so the "Prev" button is up and "Next" is down...) and display only half a page, so the font is not to small. This is done without re-flowing the page and looks exactly like on your PC.

From the eBooks that come pre-installed on the device, these are reflowed at best to fit onto the screen, so you can use the device in portrait mode here.

For transferring PDFs, you just plug the device to a free USB port, and ou see it as a mass storage device where you can drop your files. As an alternative, there is microSD slot in the E60. I am just starting to use Calibre, but it looks very interresting (despite the fact that it does not support the Samsung E60 device yet!).

I haven't tried to play with highlights, so I can't tell you much on this feature: from what I've read in the forums, they are stored as .BMP.

The device is Wifi-enabled, but the built-in browser does not allow to enter an URL, so you are stuck with the programmed one (Carrefour webstore in my case), unless you do the proxy trick to foul the machine. What I found out though, is that Wifi really kills the battery duration!

All in all, the device gives a feel of slow, mainly because of the screen, but not only...

The bottom line is: I won't pay much more for an eReader (Samsung or other). I bought this one as it is a bargain at this price, and in the hope to be able to compile my own Linux for it (sources are available from Samsung's website).

Hope this helps!
Squonk42 is offline   Reply With Quote