Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-11-2022, 01:02 PM   #91
troubledMan
Connoisseur
troubledMan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Voyage
As I've already read here, for different interests, different priorities. In my case, as a Spanish perpetual English learner (as it's obvious for anyone who reads this), one of my priorities is the quality of dictionaries available for the device. In my opinion, Kindle's dictionaries are better than Kobo's.
AFAIK, other thing that I would miss in a Kobo is the flashcard system built into a Kindle.

Anyway, I wish my Voyage will last forever...
troubledMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 11:51 AM   #92
LessPaul
Connoisseur
LessPaul doesn't litterLessPaul doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2021 / PC / iPad
There tends to be a bias toward Kobo devices, especially on Reddit, due to anti-Amazon sentiments. With that set aside, the comparison of the actual hardware really comes down to individual preferences.
The deciding factors that led me to choose the new Paperwhite:
- better selection of translation dictionaries
- the ability to translate an entire selected section of text
- much lower (Prime Day) price
- Whispersync between Kindle and Audible book “partners”

If I were not a language learner, I would have more strongly considered the Libre 2 due to the ability to manage large book collections via Calibre, hardware buttons, and for the 90/180 degree screen rotation.
LessPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2022, 09:49 PM   #93
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LessPaul View Post
There tends to be a bias toward Kobo devices, especially on Reddit, due to anti-Amazon sentiments. With that set aside, the comparison of the actual hardware really comes down to individual preferences.
There's also the faster processor, which in reviews at least makes the Paperwhite look much faster.

And, I like the page turn animation.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 07-13-2022 at 09:52 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 11:54 PM   #94
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
And, I like the page turn animation.
I love things like page turn animations. I always admire how well they have been done. Whether they are swipes, page curls or something else. They are beautiful to look at. But, the joy in seeing them fades very quickly and I turn them off before the end of the day.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 10:00 AM   #95
LessPaul
Connoisseur
LessPaul doesn't litterLessPaul doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2021 / PC / iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I love things like page turn animations. I always admire how well they have been done. Whether they are swipes, page curls or something else. They are beautiful to look at. But, the joy in seeing them fades very quickly and I turn them off before the end of the day.
I had absolutely no interest in the page turn animations, at least as a buying decision. But of course I gave it a try anyway.

I found out I love it, but not for the intended reasons. Now, if I accidentally flip a page, I can see which direction I flipped it, and can quickly return.
LessPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2022, 10:13 AM   #96
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by LessPaul View Post
if I accidentally flip a page, I can see which direction I flipped it, and can quickly return.

For me, this is an unexpected extra reason to love buttons - VERY hard to accidentally press a button an not know in which direction it took one.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 10:27 AM   #97
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
For me, it's a little different. When reading comics on my Android tablet, I turn off page turn animations. I don't need the skeuomorphism.

But on the new Paperwhite (and even some older readers) the page turn can be so fast you don't realize the page has turned (one page of text looks like another at a glance). The animation used on the Kindle is subtle, but noticeable.

Also, I wonder if it helps reduce ghosting even further (not that ghosting is much of an issue any longer).
Old 07-14-2022, 10:30 AM   #98
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Having said all this, I still prefer Kobo over Kindle. It meshes better with the way I like to handle my reader.

But I think Amazon really created something nice for the price in the current Paperwhite. It deserves some praise, even if it wouldn't work well for me.
Old 07-14-2022, 11:38 AM   #99
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
As I always set the full refresh for every page, animations and anything else related to page turning doesn't play a part in my purchase decisions.

I too prefer Kobos to Kindles at this point. Yeah, the Oasis is fast, but both the Sage and the Libra 2 have better screens, plus of course better software. That said, if Amazon should slap the newest Carta screen on the next Oasis, I'll certainly take a look, especially if they also enlarge the screen a bit.

Buttonless Paperwhites are out of the question for me, no matter how cheap or how good.

Last edited by Sirtel; 07-14-2022 at 11:41 AM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 12:22 PM   #100
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
...if Amazon should slap the newest Carta screen on the next Oasis, I'll certainly take a look...
That's (almost) a certainty. I couldn't imagine they would release their premium Oasis 4 and not put the newer screen in it.

Quote:
...especially if they also enlarge the screen a bit.
That would make sense given the Paperwhite's larger screen.
Old 07-19-2022, 10:09 AM   #101
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
For me, this is an unexpected extra reason to love buttons - VERY hard to accidentally press a button an not know in which direction it took one.
I agree. That's why I chose the Oasis over the PW5 at the Prime Day price.
cgsmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 01:00 AM   #102
mbrisco
(gtfo/freak)
mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Likebook Alita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
As I always set the full refresh for every page, animations and anything else related to page turning doesn't play a part in my purchase decisions.

I too prefer Kobos to Kindles at this point. Yeah, the Oasis is fast, but both the Sage and the Libra 2 have better screens, plus of course better software. That said, if Amazon should slap the newest Carta screen on the next Oasis, I'll certainly take a look, especially if they also enlarge the screen a bit.

Buttonless Paperwhites are out of the question for me, no matter how cheap or how good.
Why would you full refresh every page? With the new page turn animation, Kindle removes the need to ever do a full page refresh. It doesn't happen at all, and there's little to no residue. Full page refresh is like 2012 e-ink life
mbrisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 01:05 AM   #103
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrisco View Post
Why would you full refresh every page? With the new page turn animation, Kindle removes the need to ever do a full page refresh.
By effectively doing one anyway. It comes down to personal choice - a skeuomorphic animation for those who desperately want to pretend they're reading a paper book, or a full page refresh. The end result is the same.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 04:57 AM   #104
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrisco View Post
Why would you full refresh every page? With the new page turn animation, Kindle removes the need to ever do a full page refresh. It doesn't happen at all, and there's little to no residue. Full page refresh is like 2012 e-ink life
Not because of residue, but because the text quality degrades over time without full refresh. Most people seem not to notice it, but I do and it bothers me exceedingly. No, I don't mean ghosting. The darkness of the font lessens, the text grows paler. The change is slight, but I notice it immediately. Funny thing is, almost no one else seems to see this. But I've seen it on every eink reader I've ever owned.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 07:36 AM   #105
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
My page turn animation is "full refresh".
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote