Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-08-2023, 05:17 PM   #91
C-novice
ReadingZealot
C-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to behold

Device: kobo ARC, Samsung Tab4
My point really. It will worth if for some but not for others like me.
C-novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 05:51 PM   #92
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
I don't get why it's necessary to stop buyng from Amazon just because there is no way to de.drm their books.
Accept that you are paying to licence, not own, the book for as long as you, or Amazon live, and quit griping about the licence terms.

I can't de drm a netflix movie but that does not make me want to cancel my subscription

If get-iplayer software was blocked I'd accept that BBC iPlayer gets to dictate how long I can keep a copy of the BBC stuff that my licence fee buys me , and what I can watch it on.

I have bought hundreds of e books. A few of them I might have read twice, but when I think it through, most will never be read again by me and my children are not desperate to inherit my de drmed calibre copies. And ethically I am not going to upload them to web site sharing

The only practical impact of having them drm protected is that I'd not be able to delete front and back annoyances like previews of next. Book in series, show- off epigraphs, dedications to people I've never met, and stylistic choices I disagree with.
For most of my life books were things printed on paper and completely not editable, yet somehow I coped

Last edited by stumped; 01-08-2023 at 05:53 PM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2023, 05:55 PM   #93
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
I don't get why it's necessary to stop buyng from Amazon just because there is no way to de.drm their books.
Accept that you are paying to licence, not own, the book for as long as you, or Amazon live, and quit griping about the licence terms.

I can't de drm a netflix movie but that does not make me want to cancel my subscription

If get-iplayer software was blocked I'd accept that BBC iPlayer gets to dictate how long I can keep a copy of the BBC stuff that my licence fee buys me , and what I can watch it on.

I have bought hundreds of books. A few of them I might have read twice, but when I think it through, most will never be read again by me and my children are not desperate to inherit my de drmed calibre copies.

The only practical impact of having them drm protected is that I'd not be able to delete front and back annoyances like previews of next. Book in series, show- off epigraphs, dedications to people I've never met, and stylistic choices I disagree with. For most of my like books were things printed on paper and completely not editable, yet somehow I coped
I edit the css of all my books. That's very important to me and I'm not going to buy any books I can't edit the formatting of.

Plus, I don't even have an eink Kindle in active use at the moment. I prefer to read on my Kobos and for that, I need my Amazon purchases DRM-free.

You may be content with owning DRM-ed copies. For me it's unacceptable. Netflix is a subscription, I don't pay separately for every single title I watch there. So your analogy doesn't apply.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 06:17 PM   #94
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I edit the css of all my books. That's very important to me and I'm not going to buy any books I can't edit the formatting of.

Plus, I don't even have an eink Kindle in active use at the moment. I prefer to read on my Kobos and for that, I need my Amazon purchases DRM-free.

You may be content with owning DRM-ed copies. For me it's unacceptable. Netflix is a subscription, I don't pay separately for every single title I watch there. So your analogy doesn't apply.
I also edit everything.and I will do all I can to preserve that option because I enjoy doing it. But losing that option seems like a 1st world problem.
Amazon would not notice if I began a principled boycott , so as protests go it's rather pointless.

I can improve on the netflix analogy: , I own hd video TV series bought from Amazon which I can't easily de drm. I'd like to, and actually I could probably do real time recordings from graphics and sound cards with software I own, but it would exclusively tie up my pc for hours, and it's just too much hassle.. it would be crazy to never buy another video even if i really really wanted it, just because the licence terms were not ideal.. There are other TV series, now totally unavailable from both legal and illegal sites, that i now wish i had bought when still on sale, instead of waiting for a rippable version to come along

No strings ttached full ownership is over rated, and ain't going to be a feature of the metaverse, if that ever arrives. Your rental agreement may then be on a block chain somewhere but it's still a rental

Last edited by stumped; 01-08-2023 at 06:25 PM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 06:24 PM   #95
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
I also edit everything. But losing that option seems like a 1st world problem.
Amazon would not notice if I stopped buying from them, so as protests go it's rather pointless.

I can improve on the netflix analogy: , I own hd video TV series bought from Amazon which I can't easily de drm. I'd like to, and actually I could probably do real time recordings from graphics and sound cards with software I own, but it would exclusively tie up my pc for hours, and it's just too much hassle.. it would be crazy to never buy another video even if 8 really really wanted it, just because the licence terms were not ideal.incwn live with the risk of Amazon renaging on the licencing deal. There are other TV series, now totally unavailable from both legal and illegal sites, that i now wish i had bought when still on sale instead of waiting for a rippable version to come along
I know it's useless to protest. As I still have a couple of eink Kindles registered to my Amazon account, I can still deDRM my Kindle purchases. The day I can't is the day I no longer buy from them. As I said, owning DRMed books is unacceptable for me, and the same goes for any other DRMed stuff that's not subscription-based. If I can't back it up DRM-free, I won't buy it. You do; that's fine. Everyone is different and their preferences are different.

I have so many unread books in my Calibre library I'll never have to buy another book in my life. I still do, of course, but only as long as the DRM can be removed.
Quote:
No strings ttached full ownership is over rated
For you. I have a different opinion on the matter, at least as far as ebooks go. I'm not a movie fan and don't watch them often; for them, subscription is fine. Not for books, not for me.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2023, 06:31 PM   #96
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
It's not, but on the other hand, why should kindle users continue to buy from amazon when they can buy an epub and convert?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 06:56 PM   #97
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Because then I can't actually read the bloody book! I don't have a Kindle (and have no desire to get one), and the online reader is terrible.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 01-08-2023 at 06:59 PM.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 07:01 PM   #98
iBeth
Enthusiast
iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ebw1150, nook, kindle oasis, kobo libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And you can stare at them longingly because you no longer read pBooks.
This. It is just no longer comfortable for me to read pbooks. I'm glad that ereaders were invented before my eyeballs got this old.
iBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 07:04 PM   #99
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBeth View Post
This. It is just no longer comfortable for me to read pbooks. I'm glad that ereaders were invented before my eyeballs got this old.
In my case, physically holding paper books open is difficult. I still read the ones I have, but often drop them while turning pages.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 08:27 PM   #100
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
You may be willing to pay money to merely rent your e-books, but not all of us are. I'm not paying for a book unless I own it. If i want a rental, I'll use the library.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 09:56 PM   #101
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenman View Post
What is the earliest kindle that to buy to overcome this?
Kindle 3 (aka KK3).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 10:29 PM   #102
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-novice View Post
Does Amz pays so well that an author would bound his/her/other pronouns works for life to that one entity?
"their". Singular 'they' is hundreds of years old, and much less clumsy
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 12:36 AM   #103
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
"their". Singular 'they' is hundreds of years old, and much less clumsy
THIS! Plus, it gives one the perfect excuse for using the very cool word epicene.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 12:43 AM   #104
meghane_e
Connoisseur
meghane_e began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I will not accept that I'm paying to LICENSE a book. That means no one would be able to ever own an ebook ever.

Even libraries are charged repeatedly and can only get a small number of licenses at a time.

This is obstructing access to the written word.

I can understand authors wanting to get paid. But I'm also a reader who shells out money to said authors and have the distinct displeasure not to own the material I paid for.

Streaming is streaming. There is a single monthly fee for Netflix and you can watch anything and everything they host. In addition, they were set up with that model.

Words are not movies.

Thanks.
meghane_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 01:07 AM   #105
meghane_e
Connoisseur
meghane_e began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I'm seriously sitting here having a quiet rage attack about Amazon & the publishing industry in general blocking the written word.

The balance between paying authors fairly, and readers being able to pay (or not able to in many cases) has been completely subsumed by Amazon and other publishers taking larger and larger cuts from the authors, while making it more and more costly to RENT a book.

This is not OK. Bleh...
Sorry, I just had to vent to people who understand.
meghane_e is offline   Reply With Quote