Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-18-2015, 11:59 AM   #91
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, your friend is mistaken. There was only ever one version of the Kindle Touch (until the very recent "basic" touch model). The Touch was the replacement for the Kindle Keyboard, and was itself replaced by the PW.
Sorry, I looked it up.
It wasn't Kindle Touch.
He bought Kindle 4 instead of Kindle 5.

We didn't even realize we bought an older model, because he did not plan buying a Kindle and we did not research it in advance. He saw the Kindle while I was looking at other e-ink readers and decided to buy a gift for somebody. We were on a business trip to USA and we went to Best Buy looking for bargains to bring home.

I know, they have different color case, but you can't find model name anywhere on the device. And the boxes are even more similar. Especially if you are unaware that there is a new and improved model. And the personnel doesn't have a clue. They are skilled enough to steer you towards more expensive model of a notebook, but are unaware that there are two very similar models.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 02:54 PM   #92
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Quote:
I guess that could certainly affect it, yes. Personally I never have the lighting on anything close to maximum, so it wouldn't affect me.

You're right - the Voyage's light on maximum is distinctly brighter than the PW2's. Way too bright for my eyes .
Ah, young Jedi, your day is coming. And, I hate you. I had never heard of Delphi Classics till you mentioned it. I went and looked and bought Edgar Rice Burroughs and Ambrose Bierce. I doubt I'll ever read all of either. It was pure nostalgia. Now, I'm hooked. If Delphi ever does Chester Himes or Raymond Chandler or Dashiell Hammett I'll be buying those, too.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2015, 05:58 PM   #93
bounce
Zealot
bounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Ipad, Kindle 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
I guess it must just me, but for God sack it is only an ebook reader. What more do we need then a good e-ink screen and enough storage for enough books to last for say a 2 week up to maybe a months vacation away from wifi. As long as the screen is good enough so I can read with out stressing my eyes I could care less about anything else.
This is true for me as well. However, I've tried all the Kindles and any of them with "any" sort of lighting stress my eyes. Anyone know if this has the ability to turn lighting off as opposed to just the lowest setting?
bounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:01 PM   #94
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Ah, young Jedi, your day is coming. And, I hate you. I had never heard of Delphi Classics till you mentioned it. I went and looked and bought Edgar Rice Burroughs and Ambrose Bierce. I doubt I'll ever read all of either. It was pure nostalgia. Now, I'm hooked. If Delphi ever does Chester Himes or Raymond Chandler or Dashiell Hammett I'll be buying those, too.
Before you possibly waste your money, look on MR at the eBooks section and see what we have. We have a lot of these books available here for free.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:03 PM   #95
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bounce View Post
This is true for me as well. However, I've tried all the Kindles and any of them with "any" sort of lighting stress my eyes. Anyone know if this has the ability to turn lighting off as opposed to just the lowest setting?
Either you buy the Kindle that has no front light or you go with a different brand Reader. You cannot turn off the front light fully on front lit Kindles.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2015, 06:22 PM   #96
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You actually can, if you jailbreak the Kindle. Of course that presents its own problems, namely the inability to do so on recent firmware without hardware modding.

It is not generally an issue, as the lowest setting is virtually unnoticeable to the unaided eye.
Some people have stated like you that their eyes are more sensitive than perhaps Amazon expects.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 08:16 AM   #97
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Given the issues that have followed the Paperwhite in all versions I'm waiting for the inevitable reviews to make sure lighting is even etc, not sure if its worth the extra $$$ for the adaptive light and page turn buttons.
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 08:20 AM   #98
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpad View Post
Given the issues that have followed the Paperwhite in all versions I'm waiting for the inevitable reviews to make sure lighting is even etc,
I wouldn't bother. The pattern is always the same:

1. The first people to buy it say it's the most wonderful reader ever to have been released.

2. A small number of people see some flaw in it that bothers them.

3. There's a howl of protest from people who've never actually seen it saying that it's the worst reader ever to have been released, and how dare Amazon release such a flawed product.

4. Things settle down, with the overwhelming majority of people happy, and a few unhappy.

I'll be amazed if the PW3 is any different.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 08:27 AM   #99
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The Voyage has a "Gorilla Glass" outer screen, which is extremely tough. It makes the device far more rigid and less prone to fracturing the screen substrate than the much more "flexible" PW. I've seen no reports at all of fractured substrates on the Voyage. Has anyone else?
is the gorrilla glass on the voyage matte? How does it reflect light ?
Old 06-19-2015, 08:34 AM   #100
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
is the gorrilla glass on the voyage matte? How does it reflect light ?
It's etched to minimise reflections. I'd say it's less reflective than the PW's screen.
Old 06-19-2015, 08:41 AM   #101
Scarpad
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanfm View Post
I am happy that Amazon has come up with a "PW3". I wanted to buy the Voyage but couldn't bring myself to pay USD199. I like PW3 better because I prefer a raised bezel; I once had the Kobo Aura with its no bezel look - I kept mistakenly turning the page. Also, page turning buttons does nothing for me; touching the screen to turn the page is perfectly fine.

I will wait until Black Friday sales. Amazon needs time anyway to sort out the usual bugs in a new product.
yeah me too I bought a basic because I just liked the clarity of a non lighted ereader. They usually drop the PW to $99 around black friday don't they?
Old 06-19-2015, 08:44 AM   #102
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
yeah me too I bought a basic because I just liked the clarity of a non lighted ereader. They usually drop the PW to $99 around black friday don't they?
In sunlight the non-lighted device has a slightly sharper screen than the lighted one, I agree. In poor light, though (which is where I do most of my reading) the frontlight makes all the difference in the world.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:04 AM   #103
Scarpad
Addict

Quote:
In sunlight the non-lighted device has a slightly sharper screen than the lighted one, I agree. In poor light, though (which is where I do most of my reading) the frontlight makes all the difference in the world.
absolutely, I agree
Old 06-19-2015, 09:25 AM   #104
cme
reader
cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
First short-review with video in german: http://allesebook.de/e-book-reader/k...s-video-64690/

Bottom line:
  • Bookerly, hyphenations and 300 ppi are very nice.
  • Frontlight on par with paperwhite 2, no vertical discoloration.
  • The display itself (not the lighting) is a little darker than the one of the paperwhite 2.
cme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 10:27 AM   #105
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I still say I see no reason to upgrade to the new PW my PW2 is great, and I have to say I liked the PW2 better than the voyage when I compared them at Best Buy.
The main thing for me was that I took me years to decide to get a new Kindle device, I am very happy with my decision. And I am sure it will be years before I get a new one.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote