Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: May 2011 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
1984 by George Orwell 22 24.72%
The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde 4 4.49%
Call of the Wild by Jack London 6 6.74%
Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy 23 25.84%
Personal Recollections of Joan of Arc by Mark Twain 4 4.49%
War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells 7 7.87%
Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra 4 4.49%
Riders of the Purple Sage by Zane Grey 8 8.99%
The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton 7 7.87%
The Diary of a Nobody by George Grossmith and Weedon Grossmith 4 4.49%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-25-2011, 12:35 PM   #91
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
if Anna Karenina wins i'll pass on the hefty read but i'll skim through the cliff notes and try to enter the discussion
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:48 PM   #92
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Go Anna!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2011, 12:50 PM   #93
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by siraks View Post
if Anna Karenina wins i'll pass on the hefty read but i'll skim through the cliff notes and try to enter the discussion
So - just like school all over again?
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:00 PM   #94
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Old 04-25-2011, 01:49 PM   #95
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
It looks like we are going to discuss either one of the more gray, somber and depressing books ever written, very nicely though,
Or get lost in the cold endless swamps between St. Petersburg and Moscow. If you get stuck there, just jump to the first chapters of the third part, where you might touch Heaven with one of your fingers, if you still have some strength left in them after turning all those pages ...
1st part 17 chapters
2nd 17
3rd 16
4th 11
5th 17
6th 16
7th 16
8th 9 (only, he got fed up )
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2011, 01:57 PM   #96
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
hahaha indeed. it's a giant book and for me it's not a must read but i'll take a look at what i can online but doubt i'd ever get through it.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:37 PM   #97
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Hmm... if that wins i'm not sure if I will read it. Isn't this a romance? Although I surprisingly liked Pride & Prejudice.

BOb
Yes it is around a love story, two actually. Among the higher layers of the Russian high society. But it is also about the soul of men, their passions, their weaknesses and strengths. Vanity and nobility of spirit. How they become stone hard and how they become tender and giving and how they manage through their life. And, if you read it, you will be forced to take side.

One should read this as a teenager, and later, once in a while, go back to a page, to an episode, maybe, let himself be sucked into a whole chapter or two.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:43 PM   #98
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
Yes it is around a love story, two actually. Among the higher layers of the Russian high society. But it is also about the soul of men, their passions, their weaknesses and strengths. Vanity and nobility of spirit. How they become stone hard and how they become tender and giving and how they manage through their life. And, if you read it, you will be forced to take side.

One should read this as a teenager, and later, once in a while, go back to a page, to an episode, maybe, let himself be sucked into a whole chapter or two.
I plan to start reading tonight. Is it true that this one book will make me understand Russian literature and culture? I heard that once long ago, and always had it in the back of my mind to read.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:58 PM   #99
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I plan to start reading tonight. Is it true that this one book will make me understand Russian literature and culture? I heard that once long ago, and always had it in the back of my mind to read.
And Roswell too!
Old 04-25-2011, 07:28 PM   #100
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I have read many H. G. Wells books War of the Worlds was the most boring, it just could not hold my interest
That's treason. Off with his head.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:33 PM   #101
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Nope. It's too old. It has nothing to do with how Russia is today.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:45 PM   #102
GA Russell
Opening Day June 6
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Purple Sage has risen to fourth place. It's not too late!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:53 PM   #103
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
And Roswell too!
And now we completed the circle mobiously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Nope. It's too old. It has nothing to do with how Russia is today.
But in seriousness, I've just never gotten Russian lit. That is why I am anxious to read this one and overcome my apprehension with a group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Purple Sage has risen to fourth place. It's not too late!
We will read this one also.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:36 PM   #104
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

So it looks like in the end it will come down to a race between Anna Karenina and 1984. I must say that I really was hoping for The Age of Innocence as I have never read that and will soon anyway. I really have no strong opinion as to a choice limited to Anna Karenina or 1984, both excellent books. It has been a much longer since I last read 1984, but Anna Karenina is more timeless. How can a a story of Spring – Fall love of such passion that it is worth giving up everything be dated? War of the Worlds on the other hand, invaders from Mars? Hah! So not caring which of these two wins I voted for The Age of Innocence on the forlorn hope for a come from behind victory.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:33 PM   #105
zespectre
BookMonkey
zespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: NOOK, iPod Touch, Asus Netbook
Sorry, noob here. So when a book is selected where does it get discussed?
zespectre is offline   Reply With Quote