Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 09-04-2008, 03:34 AM   #76
chungo
chungo began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad
Hi,
First of all, I have to say it's amazing what you (Antartica) are capable of - you're a real tweak master...
I read in the posting from the 08-15-2008 that you were able to use Wlan (WEP) with a static Ip by employing a script. As this is exactly what I am looking for to access the DMZ at work I'd be endlessly greatful if you could post that script (in case u found an backup) or - if it's not to difficult for someone with programming but no porting experience (me ) - give me some hints on how to write one on my own. But only, if it's not asking to much, of course!
chungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:50 PM   #77
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
Quote:
Originally Posted by chungo View Post
Hi,
First of all, I have to say it's amazing what you (Antartica) are capable of - you're a real tweak master...
I read in the posting from the 08-15-2008 that you were able to use Wlan (WEP) with a static Ip by employing a script. As this is exactly what I am looking for to access the DMZ at work I'd be endlessly greatful if you could post that script (in case u found an backup) or - if it's not to difficult for someone with programming but no porting experience (me ) - give me some hints on how to write one on my own. But only, if it's not asking to much, of course!
I basically recorded what was done in the irex scripts to setup the wlan driver and then modified the script i use in the zaurus to do exactly those things prior to calling ifconfig for the Ip an iwconfig for the WEP parameters.

Right now I'm trying to advance a little xepdmgr; if the previous paragraph was not chinese for you, I can look-up what is the name of the irex script and post here my script for the zaurus, just in case you dare to do it yourself.
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2008, 02:25 AM   #78
chungo
chungo began at the beginning.

That would be great!! As my superior explicitly gave me the order to "play around " with the iLiad and make it work in WLAN I think I can take the risk of bricking the good thing (after all it's not mine ) And many thanx for your prompt reply
chungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 04:12 PM   #79
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chungo View Post
That would be great!! As my superior explicitly gave me the order to "play around " with the iLiad and make it work in WLAN I think I can take the risk of bricking the good thing (after all it's not mine ) And many thanx for your prompt reply
The irex script is in /usr/bin/wireless.sh

My script for the zaurus is as simple as:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
IP=192.168.1.2
GATEWAY=192.168.1.1
IFACE=eth0
SSID="homewlan"
WEPKEY=a0a0a0a0a0a0a0a0a0a0a0a0a0

ifconfig $IFACE $IP
iwconfig $IFACE essid $SSID mode Managed enc $WEPKEY
route add default gw $GATEWAY
The changes needed to adapt my script for the iliad are:
- IFACE is wlan0 in the iliad:
IFACE=wlan0
- At the start of the script, load the wireless driver, with something like:
rmmod cf8385
rmmod cfio
modprobe cf8385
- It is possible that after setting th wep key, you have to enable it with
iwconfig $IFACE key on
- You have to be sure to have a valid nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf:
echo nameserver 208.67.222.222 > /etc/resolv.conf
echo nameserver 208.67.220.220 >> /etc/resolv.conf

I hope I have not forgotten anything and it works with the above modifications.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:23 AM   #80
Antartica
Evangelist

This post is only to mention that there is a new version of dillo available upstream (2.0). I'll adapt it to the iliad as time permits.

Expect a new release of dillo for the iliad soon (weeks, not days .
Advert
Old 12-04-2008, 02:38 AM   #81
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
dillo 0.8.6 with xepdmgr

Here is a dillo 0.8.6 for iliad with xepdmgr.
I built this and found Antartica had buit it two years ago. so I put it here.

Major difference:
With xepdmgr controlling display refreshing, it made me feel better when browsing.

I also wanted to build dillo 2, but failed when building fltk2. So I switched to dillo 0.86.

Added:
Forgot to describe how to install.
Unpack the attachment to "/media/card/programs" and run from contentlister.
Attached Files
File Type: zip dillo.zip (9.23 MB, 380 views)

Last edited by ericshliao; 12-04-2008 at 02:46 AM.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:46 AM   #82
Dabon
Connoisseur
Dabon doesn't litterDabon doesn't litter

Device: iliad V2; ipad 2-64GB,3G
A couple of questions

Thank you Ericshliao for this software!
1. Should we install an additional piece of software "xepdmgr" before installing the new version of Dillo (Please excuse my ignorance here...No notion of programming or whatsoever...I am from the medical field...)
2. Could you please let us know how to deal with the previous version of Dillo installed under media/card?. Should we uninstall (how?) the previous version before installing the new inversion or does your new installer will take of that detail?

Thank you for your help!

Dabon.
Dabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 06:02 PM   #83
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

The package that I uploaded is the same the same version with Antartica's. Both are working on memory card, and won't install any file to you system. You can safely do anything with them without fearing screwing up you system.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:08 AM   #84
ericshliao
Guru

To antartica,
I just noticed that you have some patch files in your dillo project directory. What's that for? Do you still remember? 'cause I didn't patch anything to dillo source code and it works well, except not being able to open local file.

Added:
I have built fltk2 and dillo2 for iLiad. But fltk2 seems to crash on not being able to get fixed width font name from Xlib api.

Last edited by ericshliao; 12-05-2008 at 02:43 AM.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:50 AM   #85
Antartica
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericshliao View Post
To antartica,
I just noticed that you have some patch files in your dillo project directory. What's that for? Do you still remember? 'cause I didn't patch anything to dillo source code and it works well, except not being able to open local file.
Yes, I recall what they were for .

The patches on http://projects.mobileread.com/iliad...atch-splitted/ are for the following:

dillo-0.8.6-file.patch - Make opening local files work (code: loads the file in its entirety to memory and feeds that to the parser; not optimal but was the easiest route)
dillo-0.8.6-iliad-support.patch - Page scroll with left mouse button instead of middle button; this is: when you drag the page with the stylus, it scrolls (code: swap the references to left mouse button with the ones for middle mouse button in some places; add the list of changes in the about page).
dillo-0.8.6-next-v3.patch - If you press the next button (right arrow in the toolbar) and there is no next page in the page cache history, it will try to guess the next page and load it; did it to act as a rough comic book viewer (code: look for the last number in the URL, increment it and try to load that page)
dillo-0.8.6-utf8-support-v2.patch - Some support for utf-8 pages, so that it can show properly the Spanish Wikipedia; only supports the latin1 part of utf-8, and only transforms the pages that announce themselves as utf-8 (code: if the page advertises itself as utf-8, convert the latin1 utf-8 codes to latin1 codes; latin1 is iso-8859-1 codepage, the one supported in dillo 0.8.6).

And that's all. The patches are simple but not trivial. They just make dillo more usable on the iliad (at least for me .

So, apply them to your build (they don't cause unstabilities AFAIK ). Also, you should modify the about page in dillo-0.8.6-iliad-support.patch to note your changes/additions .

P.S.: About the dillo2 port: the fixed font is installed (the X server won't start without it), so that error is strange.

P.S.2: Ups! Those posts are material for the devel's corner...

Last edited by Antartica; 12-05-2008 at 02:55 AM.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:47 AM   #86
ericshliao
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antartica View Post
About the dillo2 port: the fixed font is installed (the X server won't start without it), so that error is strange.
Thanx for your detailed reply. I will try your patch files.

As to the fixed width font problem, I executed dillo2 in mrxvt, and it printed "bad font: variable" and stopped.
So I found the following code in fltk2's "Font_xlfd.cxx"

Code:
FontSize::FontSize(const char* name, const char* nname) {
  this->name = nname ? nname : name;
  font = XLoadQueryFont(xdisplay, name);
  if (!font) {
    warning("bad font: %s", name);
    font = XLoadQueryFont(xdisplay, "fixed"); // if fixed fails we crash
  }
  encoding = 0;
  opengl_id = 0;
}
You can see it said that "if fixed fails we crash".
Old 03-29-2009, 06:09 AM   #87
michelev
michelev began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Help: network connection switches off after few seconds.

after I launch Dillo (after tapping wi-fi icon first), the browser seems to work fine, but then, after a few seconds, the wi-fi icon becomes white againa automatically and I cannot connect to any web site anymore...
any hint?
thank you
michelev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 01:19 AM   #88
liyiwen
liyiwen began at the beginning.

Device: Irex
Toaday I tried Dillo, overview feeling is good, only think we still need more language for internet, any one know how to make it happen, for example, how to get Chinese....

Second, reaction speed seems stiil need to improve...
liyiwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 04:25 PM   #89
Seb7
Seb7 began at the beginning.

Antartica, ericshliao... any luck with Dillo 2? It looks really worth having if it can be made to work!

Here are the new features:
Lightweight, Linux-compatible browser evolves

Last edited by Seb7; 05-05-2009 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Added link to new features
Seb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 04:43 AM   #90
Antartica
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb7 View Post
Antartica, ericshliao... any luck with Dillo 2? It looks really worth having if it can be made to work!
No, not yet. Have had very little time to play with it. liyiwen also asked for info... and compelled me to try dillo2 exporting the display to the iliad.

Dillo2 has the additional issue that it redraws the whole window for every little change, so it is somewhat irritating.

But you're right. The dillo guys are making great advancements in the browser. The most impressive upgrade right now is the CSS support.

I intend to work in it, but I'm really out of time. No idea on when I'll have something usable. Sorry.