Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 09:10 PM   #76
schulzmc
Zealot
schulzmc doesn't litterschulzmc doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
OK - first of all this is officially the longest thread I have ever started on any forum! (grin)

Here's my question: The post above says "this is potentially a dangerous hack" - I'm pretty bold with stuff like this (have used the "screensaver" and font hacks on my K2) but am a little afraid of buying a DX since this is available and then bricking it. How tech savvy do I need to be to make this work?

Thanks!
Old 07-10-2009, 10:13 PM   #77
kalex
Zealot
kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: sony
Ebs- Thank you. awesome work. works like a charm

Schulzmc - I learned from all the hacking and jailbreaking and other stuff i did over the years is that these disclaimers are needed to protect oneself. Having said that this particular hack is very easy to apply. This hack doesn't require you to be tech savvy. just be careful and take it slow. all that is needed is to copy the file to the kindle and after thats done, run update.

Alex
Advert
Old 07-13-2009, 05:31 AM   #78
Jagasian
Jagasian began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
I finally got around to installing this hack. It was easy. Just uncompress the archive "screensaver-lp-0.03.tar.gz" that was linked to earlier in this thread, and copy the file "update_screensaver-lp_install.bin" to the Kindle drive that is accessible by hooking the Kindle up to your PC with its USB cable. Finally, eject the Kindle drive from your computer, press the "Menu" button on your Kindle, select "settings" and then press the "Menu" button again and this time select "Update Your Kindle".
Old 07-13-2009, 09:04 AM   #79
schulzmc
Zealot
schulzmc doesn't litterschulzmc doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Cool! I can do that. It's just like the hacks I installed on my K2. Looks like I'll be ordering a DX soon...
Old 07-14-2009, 12:26 AM   #80
Jagasian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs View Post
Here are screenshots and a new version (uninstal v0.02 first, if you have installed it).
I've been using your hack now for a while now, and one annoying thing is that when waking the Kindle up from sleep, it still refreshes the entire screen as opposed to just refreshing the part of the screen that contains the "lock" icon. Is it possible for your hack to fix that too?
Advert
Old 07-14-2009, 12:44 AM   #81
ebs
Zealot
ebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagasian View Post
I've been using your hack now for a while now, and one annoying thing is that when waking the Kindle up from sleep, it still refreshes the entire screen as opposed to just refreshing the part of the screen that contains the "lock" icon. Is it possible for your hack to fix that too?
No

Old 07-14-2009, 05:00 PM   #82
Kindle-ing
Kindle-ing has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kindle-ing has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kindle-ing has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kindle-ing has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kindle-ing has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DX
I would love to install this hack, but I'm already hung up at the "decompress" step. Could someone just attach or send me the .bin file? Many thanks if this is possible.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:58 AM   #83
Jagasian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindle-ing View Post
I would love to install this hack, but I'm already hung up at the "decompress" step. Could someone just attach or send me the .bin file? Many thanks if this is possible.
The original archive was compressed using gzip. I have decompressed it and recompressed it using zip, which is more common for Windows users. I have attached the zip version of the archive to this post. Hopefully ebs is OK with that.
Attached Files
File Type: zip screensaver-lp-0.03.zip (37.3 KB, 488 views)
Old 07-15-2009, 02:21 AM   #84
ebs
Zealot
ebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindle-ing View Post
This took me 30 seconds to find in Google (and I'm not a Windows user) - http://www.7-zip.org/
Old 07-15-2009, 06:01 AM   #85
muddyglass
muddyglass began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx
excellent work, thank you! the screen saver makes math seriously annoying to read.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:39 AM   #86
Kindle-ing
Kindle-ing has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kindle-ing has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kindle-ing has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kindle-ing has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kindle-ing has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DX
On behalf of all the "non-enthusiast" and lowly Windows users, many thanks for that. Just for the record, I did invest about 2 hrs. downloading various versions of the gzip programs and trying to figure it all out before I pleaded for help on the forum. Let's see--- it took ebs a reported 30 seconds, so by that measurement he/she is at least 240 times smarter than I. Humbling indeed. It's a wonder that I am even able to work the Kindle at all.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:30 PM   #87
Tyler_D
Tyler_D doesn't litterTyler_D doesn't litter

I know nothing about programming or any such related field and I had no problem getting this to work on my DX. There have been many times when I was studying and had the screensaver come on and it was very annoying. ebs, thanks for sharing this with us. It works like a charm.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:20 AM   #88
dhjdhj
dhjdhj began at the beginning.

Yes, bought one of those two years ago ---- kept it for two weeks and then returned it....didn't like it at all for various reasons.

The kindle just fits in my laptop case beside my computer ---- much more convenient.

But I appreciate your taking the time to make the suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
dhjdhj, I am not a musician but have you looked into the digital music reader? It may better suit your needs. There is also software available that designed for use on several computing devices.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:18 AM   #89
Acextreme
Enthusiast
Acextreme began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs View Post
Here is what I think a usable version of my "last page" screensaver hack (with normal firmware update files now).
I changed icon to look like a small lock, in PDF mode it's placed in the bottom left corner (replaces percentage info), in all other modes - in the top right corner (replaces wireless and battery icons).

Note, this is a potentially dangerous hack - if I made a mistake or something goes wrong, your Kindle will be bricked. Update process itself (check install.sh) is very careful - I only update a known version of original Kindle firmware jar file, check that patched file is correct and only after that replace the original one. I recommend that you take some anti-bricking precautions or wait for success reports from other forum users.

I'll post some screenshots shortly

Update: use version 0.03
ebs, thanks for all your work for the Kindle DX. I greatly appreciate your contribution. Here's one question as an insurance against bricking - I have gotten some anti-bricking process running, namely your auto-boot usbnetwork script. Just in case in the rare event that upon installing this and the Kindle bricks, what's the procedure or process for restoration. Is there any file we need to copy first before the update so that we can restore it should some misfortune happen?
Old 07-20-2009, 04:04 AM   #90
ebs
Zealot

When I made a mistake and corrupted one of jar files, I had to use serial console to recover, but I didn't make any preparations in advance (like auto usb network).

I use several other tricks I won't list here so Amazon won't disable them in the next firmware release, but I think auto usbnetwork will help in most cases. If you really brick Kindle, contact me privately - I'll help you to recover.
Closed Thread